Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arrington's Impact

freakofthesouth

OK, so Arrington didn't have a huge game statistically. I don't know the specifics, but he seemed a little reserved.

However, he has a lot of intangibles that makes him a defensive leader...things that makes offenses cringe.

He displyed this yesterday somewhere in the third quarter if I'm not mistaken. Kevin Faulk went for a simple run up the gut. As other Skins D seemed slow to the ball, Arrington come clean across the line and LEVELS Kevin Faulk (legally, too!).

This hit completely set the tone for the defense against the running game in the second half (even though the Patriots were down and passing...). They seemed to be heavily rotating running backs after this hit...almost like Faulk didn't really want the ball.

Intangibles.

Any thoughts?

Thoughts? Ok, here are some. Arrington gets pushed around too much. When he's free, he's great. But when he's got guys in his face, he's not decisive enough and doesn't flow through traffic well, at least not as well as the guys he's always compared to: L.T., Urlacher, Ray Lewis.

When he's blitzing, he takes too long to fight through blocks and doesn't show the kind of force you would expect from him. Also, he tends to overpursue and take himself out of plays that get strung out.

Like I said, when he's able to run free, he's a monster. But, I'm not seeing the kind of gamechanging play from him that I would like. Maybe I'm spoiled and expecting too much, but in my opinion, he's still nowhere near the player that Ray Lewis is.

Originally posted by MAP16

Thoughts? Ok, here are some. Arrington gets pushed around too much. When he's free, he's great. But when he's got guys in his face, he's not decisive enough and doesn't flow through traffic well, at least not as well as the guys he's always compared to: L.T., Urlacher, Ray Lewis.

When he's blitzing, he takes too long to fight through blocks and doesn't show the kind of force you would expect from him. Also, he tends to overpursue and take himself out of plays that get strung out.

Like I said, when he's able to run free, he's a monster. But, I'm not seeing the kind of gamechanging play from him that I would like. Maybe I'm spoiled and expecting too much, but in my opinion, he's still nowhere near the player that Ray Lewis is.

You also have to take into consideration how much gameplanning offenses base around Arrington. He has a big-ass target on his chest; teams respect his abilties.

When they don't target him, that is when he runs free. I think it's really important to keep this in consideration.

Plus, this is Edwards' first year of play-calling. He has made some great calls...some have not been that good. I would never put that on Arrington's ability.

Plus, I can remember Arrington direct traffic a bit. He had a few that he missed (when he ran by runs on blitzes, etc), but that happens, man. Even to Ray Lewis.

Yes, that happens, even to Ray Lewis. But frachise LB's find ways to make plays even with those giant targets on their chests. Don't get me wrong, Arrington is having a solid year and I understand that his impact can't just be judged by his stats only.

Alls I'm saying is, so far, he hasn't quite been the consistent force I'd expected. There are still a few plays a game when he has a chance to make a play and doesn't. Maybe I'm expecting too much, but I'm not seeing the highlight reel hits and spectacular plays that we all know he's capable of producing.

As for Edwards, he's using him better than Lewis ever did, but it's clear that he's still learning. Hopefully, by the end of the season LaVar will be making plays all over the field, despite having teams consistently game plan away from him.

That's a good point Map.

But as you had mentioned, later on, he should really start to get his big plays in. He is still, as he has done every year, finding his place in a new defense, dispite it's similairities to Lewis' system.

I hope he finds it soon.

But he does make some plays that are spectacular, including that hit on Faulk.

Did anyone else see it? He really popped him.

they shouldn't run away from him too much because that generally allows him to go unblocked and chase those runs down from behind. teams should treat lavar the way they would treat a good DE, run at him and get a guy blocking him so he can't use his great athletic ability to run down the RB.

btw, i want to sign up for the christy contest too!

I'd let him spy, then run the ball away from him. He'll get frustrated that he won't be able to run down the RB's since he's stuck spying. When the spying's been called off, I'd run right at him, with Ritchie lead blocking.

Also, remember the 13-3 game was more of McNabb throwing every ball into the turf than it was of Arrington spying. True, McNabb didn't run the ball, but he had receivers open. He just threw them bounce passes that game. It was his worst professional performance, at least until weeks one and two of this season.

Spying is fine - it does hinder the 'Skins defense in it's flexibilty by assigning an excellent player to a different job.

I'd agree with most everyone here in how the 'Skins should defense the Eagles. Keep McNabb in the pocket. That's only possible if you also are able to shut down the running game - in other words control the line of scrimmage. Can the 'Skins DL beat the Eagles O-Line? And vice versa. That's where the game will be decided. I really don't care who the receivers, QBs and RBs are. If the Eagles control both the offensive and defensive lines of scrimmage, they will win the game. Same for the Redskins.

I saw many plays where arrington would sit between the line of scrimage and the secondary as if he was attempting to rush and cover at the same time. The result was always a dump pass over the middle to the guy that he was supposed to be covering. LaVar was not decisive enough and would be about 1 second late to every play that was his responsibility. I wish LaVar would stop trying to rush and cover at the same time and do one or the other. I think he can cover as well as any LB because of his speed and hard hits. I also wish he would penetrate the O line a little quicker. He needs more rushes where he gets in untouched. At least 2-3 more a game. He needs to add an element of surprise to his rush. Other teams can't block what they can't see. I still love this guy. He is gonna have big games. I am sure by the end of the season at least one win will be the result of a big play he made. Anyone remember the Rams game last year?

Originally posted by freakofthenorth

Yeah Map...what a hit!

And Code, I want to see Arrington knock the Bjesus out of McNabb...but someone has to knock the BJesus out of 'Christy,' too.

I could do that.

If they'd just knock that darn football out of the way! Blazer is a hater, he wants to give Lavar no credit for taking McNabb out of his game. You could see the frustration in his actions and face. It will be fun to see what happens Sunday. Don't forget Trotter.

Originally posted by gridironmike

Blazer is a hater, he wants to give Lavar no credit for taking McNabb out of his game.

I'll give him some credit. Do it once, good for you. Do it again, then you're on to something. Do it a third time, it's a habit.

Lavar has done it once. Last year and the second game of 2001, McNabb won the battle. It wasn't even close last year.

But this year is a new year and a new chance.

Map16 B-friggin S on that.

Did you see Urlacher get his ass handed to him on several running plays? He doesn't fight crap. He needs Washington in there with Traylor to keep guys off him. Granted, he's a MLB and this is more critical for him than an OLB, but only a couple of guys really fight off blocks well against offensive linemen that outweigh them by 70-120 lbs.

Urlacher is no better at fighting through the flow than Arrington, hate to break that to you.

Originally posted by GhostofWoodsonReturns

Blazers, Marvin did not have Arrington spy McNabb last year. I don't think it's fair to act as if this is some ongoing battle. It happened once and the other time under Marty, Lavar had a concussion and didn't get a chance to spy McNabb.

Ghost,

You are correct - my mistake. Since Edwards is running a Lewis-style defense, what makes you think they will use Arrington as a spy? I'd agree it may be the best way of defending McNabb.

Also, the Eagles run a ton of play-action and misdirection. If Lavar is spying but misreads a misdirection, he could end up chasing down a running back as McNabb waggles down field from where Arrington just vacated. If you use Arrington as a spy, that's got to be his primary responsibility. With Edwards favoring a balanced defense, a spy would be out of character. Who will pick up Arrington's responsibilities? If he leaves his zone, the TE will be open unless you roll over a safety. That leaves a slot receiver to get behind the safety in either Smoot's or Bailey's coverage zones. I'll take two receivers against Smoot or Bailey alone any time, even the Eagles receivers.

A controlled, contained rush plus a spy sets up McNabb for having an excellent day in the pocket. He'll eventually find the open receivers. A normal, hard charging pass rush with a blitzer or two and a spy will make his life a lot tougher. Of course, if you choose this type of defense, you are extremely vulnerable to quick traps and counters, plays the Eagles run quite well.

It's all trade-offs. If Arrington spies, it certainly won't be on every play. If he does spy every play, other opportunities open. Remember, spying is nothing new. McNabb sees it quite a bit. The only difference is that Arrington is in a higher class of LB than some other spies.

Archived