Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Arrington's Impact

freakofthesouth

Lavar is just about clueless as to how to use his hands while rushing the passer. He either relies on his speed to the outside (where he often gets run out of plays) or a bull rush (where he often simply gets enveloped by the large tackles. This is a big gap in his game considering that we're already lacking in the pass rush and could use him to successfully blitz every once in a while.

As for the Eagles, Andy Reid's idiotic attempt to make McNabb a pure pocket passer may be the best spy we've got.

Unlike two years ago, our LB's are good enough and mobile enough to be relied upon to read a scramble and to chase McNabb down if he runs. I'm not sure we need to make Arrington a spy, except in some select game situations.

Just looked up the stats from 85/86.

LT didn't have one pick in those seasons. LT was great, but he was great as a 3-4 Rush LB. He was not the coverage LB that Brooks is, and he was not the run stuffer that even his teammate Harry Carson was.

Let us not overinflate what LT could do to lessen the guilty feelings we have in criticizing Lavar, one of our favorite players.

This just in, so give LaVar some love:

"I'm not sure what they tell Lavar, but they do put him in a lot of different places," said Belichick. "He's not always in the same spot. You don't know where he'll be. He's got all the skills you want a linebacker to have - big, fast, plays well in space, plays well against bigger people, pursues well, seldom is on the ground, has a lot of power and explosion. Whatever you want him to do, he can do. He can do pretty much what he wants to do. How much of that's freelance and how much is their scheme I'm not sure."

This from a player who has faced Lavar:

"He's very, very athletic," said Patriots left tackle Matt Light. "You try to cut him, he'll go over you. You try to blow him up in his face, he'll avoid you."

This from a sportswriter on the scene:

In short, even when you know where Arrington is, handling him is another issue entirely. You can stop a player like Arrington. As Belichick often says, every player can be stopped if you send enough players at him. But that creates mismatches, and with players such as the venerable Bruce Smith to be accounted for, it's not what you're looking for. A player such as Arrington is the fully evolved defensive player of today. He can make an offense look downright primitive.

Frankly, I don't know what you fellas expect. Maybe if he gets six sacks. If he returns two int's for TDs. If he causes three fumbles and recovers two. All in one game.

Would that be enough?:rotflmao:

Archived