Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Obamacare...(new title): GOP DEATH PLAN: Don-Ryan's Express

JMS

Some of the best pre-Obamacare analysis came from tech writers. They saw it as failure from a tech stand point. The constant changing of directives made it impossible for programmers to do their job. All those lines of code having to be changed and changed again because you don't know what the rules are must have been a nightmare for programmers. Changing rules several times before it was initiated on Oct. 1 made the whole program unmanageable.

Health insurance always goes up... every year. Plus, did you buy the same policy?

Even if you bought the exact same policy and your insurance went up $100, it probably would have gone up more without Obamacare.

Wow. A correct observation, and a real whopper produced with not even an attempt at support whatsoever.

Health insurance always goes up... every year.  Plus, did you buy the same policy?

Even if you bought the exact same policy and your insurance went up $100, it probably would have gone up more without Obamacare.

There is so much wrong with the context of this post.

My health insurance costs went down this year.  See a statement without context means nothing.

Edited by chipwhich

Yet another glitch one of my friends was ****ing about today

Many Children Unable To Be Included In Parents’ Obamacare Family Plans

http://washington.cbslocal.com/2014/01/27/many-children-unable-to-be-included-in-parents-obamacare-family-plans/

CONCORD, N.H. — Families shopping for health insurance through the new federal marketplace are running into trouble getting everyone covered when children are eligible for Medicaid but their parents are not.

Children who qualify for Medicaid, the safety-net program for the poor and disabled, can’t be included on subsidized family plans purchased through the federal marketplace, a fact that is taking many parents by surprise and leaving some kids stuck without coverage.

A California man says he was given false assurances that his children could be covered by the same plan he picked for his wife and himself, and a Florida father says his daughter is going without coverage while he waits for answers.

And in New Hampshire, some parents who’ve enrolled in private plans for themselves alone are finding out later that their children aren’t eligible for Medicaid after all, leaving their kids with no options.

“The children are getting stuck in this spot where we’ve enrolled the parent, but we can’t bring the children back on the family plan,” Maria Proulx, senior legal counsel for Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield of New Hampshire, told a state advisory board panel this month.

The federal Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services declined to say how the system is supposed to work for families and what problems have emerged. But a regional manager for CMS acknowledged the problem at the same New Hampshire meeting and said the agency is working on it, as did Proulx in a later interview.

“This is an important issue, and we’re not taking it lightly,” she said. “Even if this impacts only one family … it’s a big deal and we want to get it resolved as quickly as possible.”

The federal government sets minimum guidelines for Medicaid eligibility, but states can choose to expand coverage beyond that. In some states, parents must have significantly lower incomes to gain Medicaid coverage for themselves than they would to get coverage for just their children, either through Medicaid or the Children’s Health Insurance Program — also known as CHIP — the low-income health insurance program for children who don’t qualify for Medicaid.

In North Port, Fla., Russell Clouden was thrilled to find a better, cheaper family plan through the new marketplace, then stunned to realize his 14-year-old daughter wouldn’t be enrolled because she might qualify for Florida Healthy Kids, the state’s version of CHIP. The federal government still hasn’t transferred roughly 90,000 Medicaid files over to Florida officials, including Clouden’s daughter’s, so she still doesn’t have insurance.

“Based on your income, they’ll separate your kids from your primary policy and they shift them off to Medicaid or Healthy Kids and there’s no way you can bring them back,” said Clouden, whose daughter is an accomplished equestrian jumper.

“I’m kind of in limbo with her because I’m just hoping she doesn’t get injured or sick,” said Clouden, 53, who runs a restaurant franchise. “Without insurance, you’ve kind of got a knot in your stomach watching her jumping.”

Insurance broker Matthew Dinkel in Fort Myers, Fla., said he has about 15 clients in Clouden’s position.

There is so much wrong with the context of this post.

My health insurance costs went down this year.  See a statement without context means nothing.

Wow. A correct observation, and a real whopper produced with not even an attempt at support whatsoever.

What the hell are you two talking about. My pint was that you can't compare the two because they can't be out into the same context because health insurance is such a unique market.

Quit crying about everything said that you mildly disagree with.

What the hell are you two talking about. My pint was that you can't compare the two because they can't be out into the same context because health insurance is such a unique market.

You know there is a little bit of lawyer in all of us :)

You can't make a statement on the board without being exact.  :lol:

You're right.

How dare someone point out that your claim of "it would have gone up more, without Obamacare", not only was unsupported, but is pretty much impossible to support.

We should all just accept claims like that, without any.

You're right.

How dare someone point out that your claim of "it would have gone up more, without Obamacare", not only was unsupported, but is pretty much impossible to support.

We should all just accept claims like that, without any.

My impression is that it is generally accepted now that the cost of healthcare services has slowed since Obamacare was passed.  Is that not true?

I also think its sort of a fact analysis, and not an opinion.

My impression is that it is generally accepted now that the cost of healthcare services has slowed since Obamacare was passed.  Is that not true?

I also think its sort of a fact analysis, and not an opinion.

Well that certainly is an opinion.

Cost of healthcare has slowed because of the increase in High Deductible plans.  Not because of Obamacare.

are we conflating healthcare spending with costs again?

No.

The new GOP plan that came out today has a couple things going for it, and it looks largely like Obamacare.  Already saying it may not get GOP support to get through the house.  But, some interesting stuff.

Of course, they include tort deform that has nothing to do with health insurance costs, and has no constitutional viability at all, but hey.

• Like 1

No it's not Obamacare, no wonder there is so much confusion.

Obamacare didn't increase the pool of high deductible insurance plans available?

Huh... I thought the complaint from the right was that the exchanges were filled with plans that sucked because they had high deductibles.  Interesting.

I have to stop with this thread.  I stopped once before and it was for the greater glory that I did.  I just reminded myself that this thread is nothing but an outlet for right wing propaganda and for self-pats-on-the-back.

Edited by Tulane Skins Fan

The difference is?

How much something costs is not necessarily what you spend.

spending can go down while costs rise...or the inverse

using spending going down as proof of costs going down is faulty w/o accounting for utilization ect.(it also helps if it accounts for all spending,not just govt ect)

My ins rates have doubled,yet I will only pay half.....did the cost of the ins go down or up?

if I decide to forgo ins did my costs go down?

TSF,

Suspect I share your opinion of "tort reform". But I confess I don't see where you get your assertion that it's unconstitutional.

I would imagine he is speaking of limiting ability to sue and the size of the judgments.

How much something costs is not necessarily what you spend.

spending can go down while costs rise...or the inverse

using spending going down as proof of costs going down is faulty w/o accounting for utilization ect.(it also helps if it accounts for all spending,not just govt ect)

My ins rates have doubled,yet I will only pay half.....did the cost of the ins go down or up?

if I decide to forgo ins did my costs go down?

You haven't defined either term. Let alone explained the difference.

I spend $100 on a widget. Is that:

1). Spending.

2). Cost.

3). Both. They're two words for the same thing.

earlier the fact healthcare spending has went down was used to suggest ACA reduced costs....that does not work w/o accounting for the variables.

does that context help?

Still haven't explained any possible way in which the two terms aren't interchangeable. 

Maybe I could argue that if I'm Dr Feelgood, and it costs me $120 to deliver a procedure, and I choose to sell it for $100, then can I claim that spending was $100, but costs were $120? 

That might be a hypothetical in which the two terms aren't interchangeable.  But I think you'd have trouble convincing me that the reason health care total spending has slowed the rate of increase is because Obamacare is forcing the health care industry to sell things below cost, to that large an extent. 

Somehow, the health care industry, as a whole, doesn't strike me as being that generous. 

The more likely explanation would be the job losses(along with ins) and other economic factors.....unless you buy into the economic recovery.

you could say my healthcare spending slowed when my ins was cancelled or when my wifes Dr couldn't see her because a referral was needed now.

Didn't buy the widget so to speak....yet the widget still has the same price