Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Per NFL.com: Colt McCoy Reportedly Put on Trading Block by Browns

HeluCopter29

The Cleveland Browns reportedly tried to trade quarterback Colt McCoy during the draft. It didn't work, so the team kept him on the roster throughout the offseason.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d5d829db453/article/colt-mccoy-reportedly-put-on-trading-block-by-browns?module=HP11_headline_stack

My only reason for finding this interesting, is that I'm pretty sure it had been declared an open competition between McCoy and Weeden. So it does seem odd to me that they're already looking to trade him. And in fact, they had been during the draft.

So the Cleveland Make a Browners didn't want RGIII? Too Small? Sounds good guys!

It was an open competition, but Weedons job to lose. They have continually **** on Colt. I wonder why.

They drafted the kid, and then he didn't elevate their bad football team to relevance again. Now they're trying to trade him and hand a team that's largely the same to a 29-year-old rookie hoping for a different result.

They drafted the kid, and then he didn't elevate their bad football team to relevance again. Now they're trying to trade him and hand a team that's largely the same to a 29-year-old rookie hoping for a different result.

Pretty much though I think Trent Richardson will be a beast if he can stay healthy.

Hard to win games with just a running back, though...

I have not watched many Browns games but Joe Thomas is a heck of a tackle and they drafted a tackle in the 2nd round - they should be at least decent along that OLine. I think they will ha e a decent to very good running game.

Like you say though that's not enough to win - at least consistently.

I have not watched many Browns games but Joe Thomas is a heck of a tackle and they drafted a tackle in the 2nd round - they should be at least decent along that OLine. I think they will ha e a decent to very good running game.

Like you say though that's not enough to win - at least consistently.

According to the player's on the Top 100, Joe Thomas is a phenomenal pass blocker...but he's not what one would call "dominant" in the run game. Far from it, it would seem. And Mitchell Scwartz wasn't an awesome run blocker at Cal either.

According to the player's on the Top 100, Joe Thomas is a phenomenal pass blocker...but he's not what one would call "dominant" in the run game. Far from it, it would seem. And Mitchell Scwartz wasn't an awesome run blocker at Cal either.

I get the sense that they want to try and protect themselves against the pass rushers of the AFC North (Pittsburgh, Baltimore, Cincinnati). And if they can have a somewhat competent passing game, it'll open up holes for the running game. Plus I'm sure Richardson will be utilized in the passing game.

Call me crazy, but I actually think Weeden might turn out to be a decent QB. I don't think he's RG3 or Luck level, but I do believe if it weren't for his age, he would have been the 3rd QB drafted ahead of Tannehill.

This article makes just me feel better and better about the RG3 trade. The Browns are really in tail spin right now. The Browns have become such a desolate franchise, with really no talent whatsoever especially at the QB position. Nobody wants to go there and they can't seem to groom anybody of their own.

This article makes just me feel better and better about the RG3 trade. The Browns are really in tail spin right now. The Browns have become such a desolate franchise, with really no talent whatsoever especially at the QB position. Nobody wants to go there and they can't seem to groom anybody of their own.
As I look over, sure enough, there is the larger than life GM of the Cleveland Browns, having dinner with his wife.

He got up from the table a very short time later to leave and the bartender and maitre d' were kind of enough to direct him over to me (Kevin, I swear I did not leave the bar area and stalk him).

I had one chance to ask him a question, and I had to think quick. After introducing myself as a Redskins fan, I asked Holmgren, "Do the Redskins have any business trading up for a quarterback given all the holes they have on their roster right now?"

Without ANY hesitation, Mike Holmgren answered, "Absolutely...oh yeah. For that quarterback? Definitely." It just seemed to be implied that we were talking about Robert Griffin III.

http://www.hogshaven.com/2012/1/19/2717984/mike-holmgren-says-redskins-should-trade-up-for-a-quarterback

Of course, that was back in January, when Griffin was taller ;)...

---------- Post added June-15th-2012 at 10:56 AM ----------

Cleveland Browns Prefer To Trade Colt McCoy As Part Of A 'Dignified' Severance

Cleveland Browns team president Mike Holmgren spoke extensively about quarterback Colt McCoy at a Thursday press conference. Asked about trade rumors surrounding the third-year quarterback, Holmgren pulled out the timeless caveat of no plans to deal him "right now," a trope that fooled nobody. The Browns would like to trade McCoy, says Tony Grossi of ESPN Cleveland, as part of a dignified resolution with a young player that did not get many breaks during his time with the Browns.

The Browns are said to have a low asking price on McCoy, more an effort to spare him from being released than to reap any sort of return. Grossi cites a source who says that has been the Browns' plan for McCoy since they selected Oklahoma State quarterback Brandon Weeden with the 22nd pick in the draft this year.

Archived