Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Via Jarvis Jenkins twitter: Officially cleared to play football

authentic

I'm with those who express optimism at the prospect of having him back, but as LD said it may be unrealistic to expect him back with the same power he had when he left. I thought the ACL injuries were typically OK to play on the next year, but it wasn't till 2 years out that players played like there was no injury. I keep thinking of kemo (forget spelling), the DL we signed from the Steelers a year after his injury, and he wasn't the same player.

Still, if we can get him back playing like he was in preseason last year, it's a huge bonus for the entire DL. I note many people seem to want to pencil him over some other player. I just want to be able to rotate our DL without a drop in quality. That will pay dividends in the 4th quarter of games.

I'm with those who express optimism at the prospect of having him back, but as LD said it may be unrealistic to expect him back with the same power he had when he left. I thought the ACL injuries were typically OK to play on the next year, but it wasn't till 2 years out that players played like there was no injury. I keep thinking of kemo (forget spelling), the DL we signed from the Steelers a year after his injury, and he wasn't the same player.

Still, if we can get him back playing like he was in preseason last year, it's a huge bonus for the entire DL. I note many people seem to want to pencil him over some other player. I just want to be able to rotate our DL without a drop in quality. That will pay dividends in the 4th quarter of games.

I dont think we had the Kemoeatu that played for the Steelers. We had his brother Ma'ake from the Ravens/Panthers. He had an Achilles tear, and was older. That being said I wouldnt look for him to be 100% until at least midway through the year. Regardless it is a huge boost.

I don't want to sound naive here, but where exactly do you guys get he was a beast in the pre-season last year? I saw maybe 1-2 tweets saying he couldn't be blocked on a play. Did somebody hype this up and now everybody believes in it or was this everyday during the preseason?

I apologize if I'm wrong, but last year's offseason started at such a weird time that I often overlooked things and stuff along this nature.

The two knocks on him coming out were not as strong in the upper body as he will get and the perception of being a plugger with no pass rush moves. In an interview with Mike Shanahan at the draft he even corrected the reporters who were saying he was a run stopper by saying Jarvis will get pressure doing what he does in our system.

With hardly any off season the only OL we had who could consistently handle him 1 on 1 was Trent. That's pretty special, even given our OL.

He has to do it in games, but at this point he is showing everything you would expect to see from a high level 3-4 DE prospect. Kerrigan is gonna love playing outside him.

Archived