Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I Kind of Like What I See, But I've Seen Enough....

kleese

I hung in as long as I could. Today, after that celek score in the 4th, I finally said **** it and turned it off. I won't check the score, and the only way I will see the final tally is if I switch to ESPN or NFL net by accident. I plan to enjoy my vacation- I'll work out, go to the shooting range, play with my kids, and catch up on paperwork.

I'm much too stupid and set in my ways to completely abandon the Redskins, but I am at the end of my tether. There are silver linings, but we have those every year, and they always turn into streams of diarrhea.

I wish I could pull up stakes and start following a winner, you know, like jumping on the Packer's bandwagon or something. I can't, of course. Loyalty's a female dog.

Happy New Year, all. Here's to the hope that Shanahan can put another good/decent draft together, and we can maybe not suck quite as much in 2012 as we have most of the 21st century.

It has gotten hard to get excited about games this year. I think though I tried to fight it the "suck for" crowd infected me. That level of despair and insidious rooting for your team to fail that permeated this board wound up ebbing into my Sundays.

Hopefully, next year, ES can return to a board that supports its team on game days.

I agree. I totally despise this losing for the sake of the draft with a passion. New generation of fans who cater to this crap.

---------- Post added January-1st-2012 at 09:55 PM ----------

I hung in as long as I could. Today, after that celek score in the 4th, I finally said **** it and turned it off. I won't check the score, and the only way I will see the final tally is if I switch to ESPN or NFL net by accident. I plan to enjoy my vacation- I'll work out, go to the shooting range, play with my kids, and catch up on paperwork.

I'm much too stupid and set in my ways to completely abandon the Redskins, but I am at the end of my tether. There are silver linings, but we have those every year, and they always turn into streams of diarrhea.

I wish I could pull up stakes and start following a winner, you know, like jumping on the Packer's bandwagon or something. I can't, of course. Loyalty's a female dog.

Happy New Year, all. Here's to the hope that Shanahan can put another good/decent draft together, and we can maybe not suck quite as much in 2012 as we have most of the 21st century.

nice post.

I hate to agree with you because football is my favorite sport with basketball as a close second but you are right. Especially with all the rule changes in the nfl, the league is getting harder to watch. Exciting big hits are now gone, kick returns gone, sacks find ways to become person fouls on defensive players, and due to celebration penalties personality has been taken away from the league. Ill never stop watching the Skins or the nfl but I wish the nfl was back to the way it was.

which is to say nothing of the Heat, who love them or hate them (I choose hate)

You made the right choice, they don't deserve any love.

The second half of this season has been highly encouraging to me for two reasons:

1. The talent evaluation of this regime looks solid. There have been some mistakes for sure, but overall, the players that Shannallen have brought in have been good. Our draft picks the past two years look quite good and the lower level FA's we picked up and smaller trades we've made have also worked out.

2. Team got better on the field late in the year. Defense collapsed in the Vikings game, but other than that the team has been highly competitive and certainly watchable for most of the second half. You can really see how this offensive system will work given more playmakers. The OL has held up rather well despite glaring injuries/suspensions. It is clear to me that the players are still grinding and haven't tuned out the staff. Players seem to buy in, which is a very good sign.

So, while I won't go as far to say I'm "pumped" for 2012 and beyond, I am encouraged. A third straight solid draft will really help change things around here and we have the cap room to maybe add some help via FA as well. I could easily see the Redskins making the jump to a 9-10 win team next year even with a Rex-type at QB.

Having said all that, the bottom line is the bottom line.

And the bottom line is that this is another double-digit loss team that was out of contention before Thanksgiving. It's another year where games in December have been developmental at best.

As a fan, silver linings are OK, but playing for an NFC East title ala Dallas and NY tonight would be much better. I don't blame any fan for retaining pessimism until this team actually does something on the field.

I haven't really cared about on field results since the second Dallas game...that was the last time I woke up this year and Sunday felt like gameday...and that was pushing it. Since then it's been more of a passing interest. I've shifted focus to the NBA and almost forgot about our game against Minnesota until 10 minutes till kickoff. Today, I can go watch on the big screen like always, but I'm going to pass...I'll check it out on my phone from time to time and will probably be relieved if we lose in hopes of maybe getting into the top five in April. If this game mattered to Philly, I'd want to knock them off, but seeing it doesn't, the results today mean nothing to me.

It's another year where the end of the season is useless and hollow. I checked our emotionally over a month ago...and that sucks. It's old.

So while I'm pretty much ok with where we are right now I'm also ready for the Redskins to go away for awhile again.

I watched every game this season and for the most part, I'm very optimistic about the future of this team. The Redskins need a quarterback as we all know. Given the game that Matt Flynn had today against the Lions, Mike Shanahan has to consider him as being the starting QB next year for the Redskins. Flynn is a gigantic upgrade over Beck and Grossman. Flynn is still young(26) and could very well lead our offense. Also, it wouldn't surprise me if the Redskins add Flynn an draft a QB. Regardless of how the coaches feel about Grossman, they should not bring him back whether he knows the offense well or not. The man is an awful QB.

The secondary needs to be looked at. I like Gomes. Atogwe was playing hurt all season. LaRon Landry in his five seasons in Washington overall hasn't lived up to a 6th overall draft choice should have. I say let him walk and look to free agency. But if they chose to keep him, I wouldn't be surprised. All Landry needs to do is get healthy again. DeAngelo Hall needs to be looked at through a microscope. He got burned all year. If he would have played the CB position more solidly, the Redskins would have won 2 or 3 more games and finished within the top 10 in defense. I would have liked to see Brandon Thompson play in the defense this year. He'll probably emerge next season hopefully.

... because in the end winners find a way to win and losers find a way to lose.

I totally agree. When watching this team, you are constantly asking yourself when will the big mistake happen. An example today was the Moss penalty that pushed the Skins out of the Redzone. When you are a below average team, every mistake is a major one.

So would drafting Luck or RGIII take you from encouraged to pumped?? Hmmm?

No.

Too jaded. At this point, I'll just have to see it to believe it. Luck or RG3 will have to actually be good first before I get truly "pumped" about anything Redskins-related.

---------- Post added January-2nd-2012 at 07:53 AM ----------

With an average special teams unit, this team probably makes the playoffs. QB position is so overrated in the NFL.

I was thinking the same thing watching the past few Super Bowls with Rodgers, Big Ben, Brees, Manning, and Warner. Oh wait....

Kleese,...you summed up my feelings on this team with your post -- I agree. But I'll take it a step further -- I checked out on this team emotionally a while ago,...maybe two years ago. I still watch every game and root for them but there's really been nothing to be excited about during the season for some time now.

Hopefully another good draft this year and some off-season acquisitions will really push this team in the right direction.

Archived