Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Sources: Cowboys could rest players ESPN

BillyKilmer

Link here: http://espn.go.com/dallas/nfl/story/_/id/7386058/sources-dallas-cowboys-rest-key-starters-new-york-giants-win

If the New York Giants beat the New York Jets on Saturday, the Dallas Cowboys would not be able to win the NFC East, and sources told ESPN the team will consider holding out several injured starters, including DeMarcus Ware.

The other players who could be sidelined are running back Felix Jones and defensive tackle Jay Ratliff, who were both limited in practice throughout the week and listed as questionable, as well as cornerback Mike Jenkins and wide receiver Laurent Robinson.

If the Giants lose to the Jets, the Cowboys can win the division with a victory over the Eagles. But if the Giants win, the Cowboys can accomplish almost nothing Saturday and might prefer to do what they can to get Ware, Jones and Ratliff healthy for what would be a winner-take-all season finale for the Cowboys at the Giants.

i have robinson on 2 of my 3 teams playing today. i'll be bitter if he's held out. if so, another reason to hate dallas.......

---------- Post added December-24th-2011 at 03:18 PM ----------

That doesn't make much sense. I thought the Cowboys had a better record than the Giants. So how does a Giants win automatically warrant the Cowboys to rest their players ..

youre right, the boys do have a better record. i dont get it either.

That doesn't make much sense. I thought the Cowboys had a better record than the Giants. So how does a Giants win automatically warrant the Cowboys to rest their players ..

A Giants win forces winner take all next week, no matter what.

---------- Post added December-24th-2011 at 02:24 PM ----------

A Giants win puts them at 8 wins.

If the Cowboys beat the Eagles, they'd still only have 9 wins.

If the Giants won next week against the 9 win Cowboys, they'd still win the division.

If the Giants won next week against the 9 win Cowboys, they'd still win the division.

the kind of makes sense, but wouldnt dallas still want to put themselves in a better position to win this week?

if they lose this week and win next week vs the giants, do they get in as a wild card?

I think the article is not very clear in the way it's written, took me a while to get it. Not sure if they can get in as a wild card grego but I can see the logic if it's forced into a winner takes all and some of their starters have mild injuries to rest them this week, take the risk of a loss but know you have the big players coming back fresh and healthy to face the Giants

It doesn't make sense, because if the Falcons and Lions both lose out, Dallas could still qualify for a wild card if they beat the Eagles, but lose to the Giants. By holding out players against the Eagles, they're basically saying we want the division or nothing.

Edit: Actually, only Atlanta has to lose both games. Lions don't even matter.

It doesn't make sense, because if the Falcons and Lions both lose out, Dallas could still qualify for a wild card if they beat the Eagles, but lose to the Giants. By holding out players against the Eagles, they're basically saying we want the division or nothing.

Edit: Actually, only Atlanta has to lose both games. Lions don't even matter.

The Falcons play the Bucs next week. That's an easy win.

I used this example elsewhere, but the Redskins missed the playoffs in 1989 because they lost to the 1-15 Cowboys.

There are no easy wins in the NFL, especially against division rivals. You don't think the Bucs will want to play spoiler next week?

Not saying it won't happen. But highly unlikely Dallas beats Philly w/ McGee and Tampa beats Atlanta.

why would the giants win the division with 8 wins if the cowboys have 9 wins?

Yeah had Dallas won yesterday they could have still gotten in with a loss next week if Atlanta loses out. Unlikely as it may be, they shouldn't have just given the game away.

Regardless, should make for a great SNF game next week. Go Gmen. :D

I don't think the intentions were to give up.

But after Romo sits to pee went down with an injury, Dallas stood zero chance with Stephen McGee at QB. IMO, Dallas panicked with Romo sits to pee being injured and mailed it in. If Philly wanted to yesterday [Even minus the Avant TD], I am sure they could've easily put up 40+ points.

Archived