Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ABC: Christopher Hitchens, Author and Television Personality, Dies at 62

visionary

I wouldn't trust that guy over a rapist any day.

When I worked in DC, he was a regular contributor for the publication I was an art director for. We hired him and several other political writers to come give speeches at a conference we hosted. The man HAD to have a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label as part of his appearance fee. He spoke in the morning, FWIW.

I wouldn't trust that guy over a rapist any day.

When I worked in DC, he was a regular contributor for the publication I was an art director for. We hired him and several other political writers to come give speeches at a conference we hosted. The man HAD to have a bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label as part of his appearance fee. He spoke in the morning, FWIW.

I'd say it was worth jack ****, and if your first sentence was meant to be witty, it wasn't. His behaviors were, as mentioned earlier, hardly without flaw, some serious, as with most humans. So your gratuitous insulting fly-by in a RIP thread (a typical sadly event on ES, one we sometimes ban for, and here I knew it was inevitable) is much more of a poor reflection on you than him. I'll add that many a great person (and far greater than Hitchens) has had alcohol abuse issues--not that your post came right out and said anything about him drinking, though it seems implied. And btw, wanting a bottle of JWB as an "extra"even if you don't have an issue seems like a fine idea to me.

And btw, wanting a bottle of JWB as an "extra"even if you don't have an issue seems like a fine idea to me.

I agree with this. This is also a clever way to make sure the person hiring him actually READS the whole contract. Just look up the VaN HALEN M&M clause. No brown M&Ms. Smart move if you ask me. Guy lived like he wanted to and to my knowledge didn't physically hurt anyone.

Hope I didn't misread your post Jumbo? : /

I agree with this. This is also a clever way to make sure the person hiring him actually READS the whole contract. Just look up the VaN HALEN M&M clause. No brown M&Ms. Smart move if you ask me. Guy lived like he wanted to and to my knowledge didn't physically hurt anyone.

Hope I didn't misread your post Jumbo? : /

I try to make many of my posts interesting whether they're read correctly or not. :D

But you were fine.:ols:

No one else finds it funny that people are saying RIP to a guy that never believed he would be resting eternally in peace or misery or anything else.

I think most of us did; had that thought. But some of the people saying positive things are of the "believer" groups. Besides, I hardly think the sentiment behind it needs to be automatically and totally tied to religious faith. :)

• 2 weeks later...

I just recently came across this piece by Francis S Collins, In remembrance of my friend Hitch, and I thought it was worth sharing...

I have struggled to come up with words to memorialize my friend Christopher Hitchens. It occurs to me that were Hitch given such a task, he would quickly produce several pungent paragraphs packed with provocative ideas, erudite literary references, and razor-sharp humor - all composed in perfect sentences. Even in his last weeks of cancer progression -- when, as he wrote, “more and more [was] being relentlessly subtracted from less and less” -- Christopher maintained the tireless ability to deliver treasures from his own richly-stocked intellectual shop in the marketplace of ideas. He once said to me that he was more afraid of boredom than of death.

Perhaps it seems odd that a physician-scientist who has written about his own conversion to Christianity should become close friends with an avowed atheist whose book subtitle is “how religion poisons everything.” Perhaps that seems particularly strange in Washington, D.C., where even minor differences of philosophy or politics can be grounds for permanent personal animosity.

The rest is at the link.

No one else finds it funny that people are saying RIP to a guy that never believed he would be resting eternally in peace or misery or anything else.

I think RIP is very appropriate for an atheist (of which I am one). I don't expect to be doing anything else but resting when I pass away.

Well he knows if he was right now. Or is totally unaware of anything and is just a cadaver. In which case he was right anyway.

---------- Post added December-27th-2011 at 04:17 PM ----------

I just recently came across this piece by Francis S Collins, In remembrance of my friend Hitch, and I thought it was worth sharing...

The rest is at the link.

Thats a great piece and a nice way to remember the guy.

Archived