Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

OT- I am starting to HATE the Eagles FO

Eagles_Legendz

Has 'rebuilding' already begun in Philly? No link, but this was reported by comcast last night. At least Snyder pays $$$ for players.

Leaving the Nest?

Taylor Says Eagles Will Not Offer Him Extension

September 22

Andy Schwartz

ComcastSportsNet.com

Bobby Taylor is in his ninth season as a cornerback with the Eagles, and unless the Eagles change their mind, it will be his last.

After having four days off, the Eagles practiced on Monday, and afterwards Taylor, who will become a free agent after this season, admitted that the team has told his agent that it will not offer him a contract extension.

"I was specifically told that I wouldn't be signed to a contract in the future. I just take that for what it's worth and move on," Taylor said. "Well, my agent was [told], so that's the same thing."

When asked why he picked this time to reveal this bit of information, Taylor said that no one had asked him specifically.

"It was never addressed," Taylor said. "It was a question I was asked, and I answered the question. I'm not going to sit here and start speaking about something that's not even asked."

Taylor said this is not necessarily his last season in Philadelphia because the Eagles can still offer him a contract.

"Who knows what will happen?" he said. "It's still a possibility."

Last season, Taylor, who is making $4.1 million in base salary this season, led the Eagles with five interceptions and earned his first career Pro Bowl selection. He did not attend the team's voluntary minicamp in June but did participate in training camp.

Taylor suffered a sprained foot in the Eagles' opening week loss to Tampa Bay and is expected to miss a couple of weeks. Now, it seems apparent that he will not be rushing to get back on the field.

:puke:

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of older, revered vets being shown the door in favor of younger, cheaper talent. If done right, that's how you sustain your success in this league. But the Eagles never seem to adequately replace the talent that leaves despite having plenty of cap room.

I'd be frustrated too.

Originally posted by redman

I'm not necessarily opposed to the idea of older, revered vets being shown the door in favor of younger, cheaper talent. If done right, that's how you sustain your success in this league. But the Eagles never seem to adequately replace the talent that leaves despite having plenty of cap room.

I'd be frustrated too.

That's the problem in a nutshell. They aren't replenishing the cupboard. Maybe one of the 27 CBs they've drafted in the last couple of years will pan out, but none seem to ready to take over for Taylor.

With Vincent's status (and play??) being questionable, you're looking at potential big changes in the Eagles secondary, and not necessarily for the better.

For a team that wins with defense, that's not a good sign.

The Eagles had a pretty good streak of sustaining relatively few injuries and really wasted a golden opportunity to win it all last season.

I respect how the Eagles built their team and thought that for the most part they had a pretty good strategy as far as managing the cap and promoting from within was concerned.

The problem with the Eagles right now is that the FO got to full of themselves and thought that they could go against conventional wisdom by letting experienced vets and locker room leaders go and replacing them at will.

Their take it or leave it approach was bound to backfire and certainly hasn't endeared Banner and co with their followers. Seat licenses to be paid in full and cash, the hoagie affair etc. are all things that are bound to blow up in Eagles face if they don't start winning sometime soon.

Originally posted by SonnyJ

That's the problem in a nutshell. They aren't replenishing the cupboard. Maybe one of the 27 CBs they've drafted in the last couple of years will pan out, but none seem to ready to take over for Taylor.

With Vincent's status (and play??) being questionable, you're looking at potential big changes in the Eagles secondary, and not necessarily for the better.

For a team that wins with defense, that's not a good sign.

I'd still rather have Vincent than Taylor, because Vincent has at least another year (after this year) as a top notch cover corner in the league left in him. After that, he could become a nickel back or FS etc., He would also command less $$ than Taylor (and we all know how important that is to the FO). He's more of a leader and B.T wouldn't stand for being moved to NB.

Either way, I'd like to see both resigned (or AT LEAST 1). If neither is resigned, you're going to see a pretty p/oed Eagles fan lurking around here. :40oz:

What I can never understand is how the FO could put all their "eagle eggs" in one Mcnabb basket??? So much money that could have made several players happy and be around for several more years. It is like a revolving door in that organization.

I feel for you - I just don't get what they are thinking???? How can you be that close to getting in the Superbowl, and because of all the great players they let slip through their fingers.. they seem to be just as far away the very next year...

It would be nice if a loyalty clause of some sort was implemented into the cap. If say someone has played in the same city for at least 8 years, his salary shouldn't count against the cap. Allow each team to keep around 3 such players, so it doesn't get abused. This would eliminate alot of these Emmitt Smith, Rice, Taylor etc scenarios where younger players are just too good a bargain to retain an experienced icon. Then the owners wouldn't be able to lie about their current cap situations to avoid paying such players fair market value, as appears to be the case with the Eagles.

I was thinking about something similar but instead I would make it so that only a certain percentage of their salary is counted against the cap, depending on seniority. This would still force teams to be fiscally responsible but also keep teams from simply dumping high salaried players on a list such as this one to make the salary disappear.

Originally posted by JetSolo

It would be nice if a loyalty clause of some sort was implemented into the cap. If say someone has played in the same city for at least 8 years, his salary shouldn't count against the cap. Allow each team to keep around 3 such players, so it doesn't get abused. This would eliminate alot of these Emmitt Smith, Rice, Taylor etc scenarios where younger players are just too good a bargain to retain an experienced icon. Then the owners wouldn't be able to lie about their current cap situations to avoid paying such players fair market value, as appears to be the case with the Eagles.

I'm not sure the "Larry Bird exception" which allows teams to ignore the cap and re-sign a veteran player at any price, would really work. I mean, Snyder would love it but some of those cheap owners (cough-Lurie) would hate it.

Maybe allow the team that drafts a player to exempt 25% of so of the salary from the cap during the first contract (after 4 years) and take 10% off after the next contract runs out.

The true cap is what makes the NFL so competitive, but if players continue to chase the big bucks, more fans will be put off by the seeming "lack of loyalty."

I'll probably get some "well, it's already all about the money" comments, but a loss of viewership/support caused by rampant free agency would hurt the bottom line all around. If a fan (and I'm speaking more of the casual fan) can't recognize half the players, they might lose interest.

Something has to be done. I have faith in Tagliabue. He seems to be smart and fairly proactive.

Now, if we had Selig running things...:puke:

I wouldn't be as confident.

Guest SkinsHokie Fan

I would love for their to be some adjustment in the cap. And lets face it when players are going after money they have to. Realistically this will be the most income they make in their lifetime's and they need to maximize it. Sure it stings to see a player leave but really the guy needs to maximize his brief earning potential (even though its more money then 99.9 percent of us will see you maximize what you can)

Originally posted by Eagles_Legendz

Has 'rebuilding' already begun in Philly? No link, but this was reported by comcast last night. At least Snyder pays $$$ for players.

Leaving the Nest?

Taylor Says Eagles Will Not Offer Him Extension

September 22

Andy Schwartz

ComcastSportsNet.com

Bobby Taylor is in his ninth season as a cornerback with the Eagles, and unless the Eagles change their mind, it will be his last.

After having four days off, the Eagles practiced on Monday, and afterwards Taylor, who will become a free agent after this season, admitted that the team has told his agent that it will not offer him a contract extension.

"I was specifically told that I wouldn't be signed to a contract in the future. I just take that for what it's worth and move on," Taylor said. "Well, my agent was [told], so that's the same thing."

When asked why he picked this time to reveal this bit of information, Taylor said that no one had asked him specifically.

"It was never addressed," Taylor said. "It was a question I was asked, and I answered the question. I'm not going to sit here and start speaking about something that's not even asked."

Taylor said this is not necessarily his last season in Philadelphia because the Eagles can still offer him a contract.

"Who knows what will happen?" he said. "It's still a possibility."

Last season, Taylor, who is making $4.1 million in base salary this season, led the Eagles with five interceptions and earned his first career Pro Bowl selection. He did not attend the team's voluntary minicamp in June but did participate in training camp.

Taylor suffered a sprained foot in the Eagles' opening week loss to Tampa Bay and is expected to miss a couple of weeks. Now, it seems apparent that he will not be rushing to get back on the field.

:puke:

Eagles,

I've always wondered why the Eagles FO would never take the steps to take their team to the next level. Personally, my gut feeling is that the ownership is content to have the team on the cusp of success but not successful enough to make the super bowl. Why? That is the tricky part. There could be several reasons. First, they might not want to compensate players for their winning a championship. Second, by having the team on the verge of a championship their revenues are prob higher then if they won it all. They might fear a decrease in revenue after a championship. I don’t know really. It is anyone's guess. I get Bidwell vibes from Lurie and I think he is just milking the team for profit.

content to have the team on the cusp? come on, be realistic.

Iggles FO is (and has always been) focused on bottom line profitability. they made a coupel key signings to help put pressure on the city to build a new stadium, and now they will be content to let the high priced guys walk to save $.

couldn't happen to a nicer group of fans though...

Originally posted by NavyDave

I like Iffy but can you imagine B Taylor signed to be a safety and paired with Bowen?

You don't want BT in a safety position. He hits less than Deion. He is a solid cover corner, but don't ask him to tackle.

Vincent, OTH, would make a good safety for the remainder of his career.

The Eagles will probably sign neither. :doh:

Is it Reid? Lurie? Both? With a new stadium, the money is already rolling in. Converting a winning team to a losing team by not spending some of the money is definitely going to hurt the bottom line.

Why do I continue to follow this team? :gus: Loyalty is just too strong, I guess.

Originally posted by Skeletor The Invincible

Blazers... Come to the dark side... Come to the Redskins!

Can't do it. They've been bitter rivals for far too long. The curse of being born in close proximity (35 miles) to Philly is to be an Eagles fan.

I do enjoy watching the 'Skins these days. Ramsey is all class and is a heck of a player and Coles is borderline spectacular. I'll even admit to liking the muted, humbled Steve Spurrier. He has adjusted the offense to fit the NFL game while still not losing his desire to pass. He's also cut out a lot of the idiotic decisions that he made last year. Once he enforces a bit more discipline, the 'Skins will be set.

That being said, I still can never give up on my team. Thanks for the invite, but I have to choose to continue to suffer with the bird brains. (the team, not the fans). :)

Archived