Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Chris Samuels

HittinSkinz

Actually, Samuels did a nice job blocking yesterday. Holmes was the first to touch an already fallen Ramsey on one sack and Samuels didn't have Holmes to block on the second as it was a blitz that worked for the Giants. In all though he pretty well kept that side of the field clean. His two holds are worrisome though especially for being so unnecessary. He was in no danger of being beaten by Holmes on the touchdown play to Gardner and EVEN if he was, Holmes was too far away to make a difference.

I didn't like Samuels answer at the end of the game that offensive linemen hold on every play and he got caught twice. He shouldn't have held on that sort of play when Holmes essentially ran himself by the play given where Ramsey set up. Samuels was ATROCIOUS last year at this time as well, though he was hurt.

So far this year he's really only given up one clean sack to Abraham in the opener. Last week the sack was on Ramsey for not throwing the ball and for running into the blocked man. This week he didn't give up much. As hard as I was on Samuels after the opener, it's hard to find him as being all that big a problem the last two weeks. And if history holds, he gets better as he gets going through the year.

Remember, he's a lighter tackle and he doesn't wear down as much as other tackles might so he has been much better to end the last few years than he's been to start them.

I actually think (and ASF will support me, I'm sure) that the problem with the O-Line is more coaching related than due to deficiencies in talent.

We'll get a better indication as the year goes along, but you'll notice that both Samuels and Jansen made their marks while Grimm was in town, and that both of them had down years last year.

To get Grimm back would be Supa-cool and actually feasible (unlike wishes for the return of Gibbs).

I'm thinking that BOTH of these guys were drafted for a running team and now they are in a pass first system. They might not be the right guys (yet) for this system. As mentioned above, I'm looking for some coaching to get some of this fixed. But then again, considering training camp started at the end of July, they've been at it for 2 full months now.

Originally posted by SkinsThug

Who better than Samuels is available right now?

Exactly.

Looking ahead to next year, Chad Clifton is not as good a run blocker and may not be quite as durable, but is probably just as good a pass blocking LT as Samuels. I'm not sure what the cap implications would be for cutting Samuels and signing Clifton. It would be something I might consider if it would free up money to go for a stud pass rusher like Jevon Kearse.

Archived