Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Ancient Greek Language - Anyone familiar with it?

KDawg

Yeah, I want to avoid the "lever" part of the quote. I really don't think that fits with the theme of the tat.

"Only the Strong Survive" is another one of my favorites.

Which I found translated as: ΜΟΝΟ ο ισχυρός επιζεί

And "know thyself" is translated as: γνῶθι σεαυτόν.

Another that I kind of like, but not sure I'd use is: πάθει μάθος , which means, apparently: "(There is) learning in suffering/experience" . The other way to say that would be: πάθος μάθος "suffering is learning/learning is suffering."

The only problem with the above quote is its attributed to Agamemnon...

Well, if you go with the Archimedes quote without the level, just know that a lot of folks will notice the difference when you tell them what it translates to.

As for the "only the strong survive" just make sure that the MONO is in lower case μονο, and depending on the grammatical use it could end in any of these three ways, μονον, μονος, μονοη. The rest of it though looks accurate, I'm just pretty sure that the μονο needs a correct suffix.

Well, if you go with the Archimedes quote without the level, just know that a lot of folks will notice the difference when you tell them what it translates to.

As for the "only the strong survive" just make sure that the MONO is in lower case μονο, and depending on the grammatical use it could end in any of these three ways, μονον, μονος, μονοη. The rest of it though looks accurate, I'm just pretty sure that the μονο needs a correct suffix.

Any idea what that suffix would be?

You have an artist that you know well ? That would be my biggest concern. And if you have talked to your artist about this what are they saying ?

This kind of stuff can be tricky.

Greek would be different, but at the same time can be easily messed up because it is so uncommon.

I still don't get why you would want the Greek lettering since you are not. But it is you and your body.

Enjoy.

You have an artist that you know well ? That would be my biggest concern. And if you have talked to your artist about this what are they saying ?

This kind of stuff can be tricky.

Greek would be different, but at the same time can be easily messed up because it is so uncommon.

yes.

I still don't get why you would want the Greek lettering since you are not. But it is you and your body.

Because it's Spartan inspired. I'm still thinking about going with english in some kind of cool font, but I'd prefer the Greek as it is, again, a Spartan tat.

I hear you. An artist that does great lettering is critical with this type of stuff.

I get that it is Spartan inspired, but you not being Greek and it being so complicated...I would go to Greece and get my work done. (J/K)

The font and detail of lettering is what makes it nice.

Sometimes the lettering is better than the art.

I love ink and think it can be really cool.

I appreciate that you are doing your due to make it perfect for you.

So many times people do not even think about what they are getting.

I am looking forward to the results for this one because it is so different.

I would still probably go the english route. I would research to no end to put ink on me in another language too. haha.

I hear you. An artist that does great lettering is critical with this type of stuff.

I get that it is Spartan inspired, but you not being Greek and it being so complicated...I would go to Greece and get my work done. (J/K)

The font and detail of lettering is what makes it nice.

Sometimes the lettering is better than the art.

I love ink and think it can be really cool.

I appreciate that you are doing your due to make it perfect for you.

So many times people do not even think about what they are getting.

I am looking forward to the results for this one because it is so different.

I would still probably go the english route. I would research to no end to put ink on me in another language too. haha.

Yeah. Still deciding what route I want to go. I want to go in with the Greek lettering researched and figured out and talk it over with my artist. I have some designs that I found on the internet, along with various other designs that I want the artist to integrate/put his own spin on. This tat should be freakin' awesome with all the time I'm spending figuring it out.

Only thing I haven't quite figured out yet is the font. I don't know if I want to give the artist free reign over the font... Or if I want to go to an artist for just the font part and my artist for the equipment/weaponry part. Or if I want to go in with samples of fonts that I like...

Tons of things to sift through still on this thing. I'm not even 100% sure where I'm going to get it. Both my shoulders are tatted, my right shoulder blade has a tat... So I was planning on putting it on my left shoulder blade. But I don't walk around with my shirt off all that often, and this is a piece that I'd want people to actually be able to see if I'm walking around in a tank top or something. Lots of decisions to still be made here.

As a teacher, I can't get something that will go below my t-shirt line. So I'm limited in where I can put it on me.

And if I go english, I open myself up to about 10,000 quotes to choose from.

Archived