Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Reminds Me of 1995 (Potentially Bad News For Draft Hopefuls)

kleese

This reminds me more of 2003 than 1995.

A surprise 3-1 followed by a crater of a season.

We have spare parts filling in (like 2003) rather than young players to build on.

We're leaning on Gaffney and Moss (when he comes back) at wide receiver.

The Oline is patchwork with long term question marks all over the place (including Williams).

The quarterback position is being manned by a short term QB (just like 03 after Ramsey went out and we had the lesser Hasselbeck quarterbacking us).

The defense appears to be in much better shape long term than they did in 2003 in the front 7 however long term questions abound for this secondary.

While things did not work out, 1995 had a feeling that they were building towards something on offense. We had young QBs playing, we had young players on the Oline (Patton, Johnson, Raymer). We had an elite prospect at receiver (Westbrook) as well as a prospect at tight end (Asher).

I cannot see how 1995 reminds me of the 2011 team. Remember this season well because we beat champions dallas twice. :) 95 team improved in all departments when compared to the previous season, that team lost majority of those games by a field goal. Team was better than what their 6-10 record showed.

2011 team has been loosing majority of the games in a poor effort. Had regressed from the previous season. Hopefully it's a 2 steps backward to make 3 step forwards sort of thing.

Little bit of revisionist history there. The 1995 team was 3-9 at one point and had some blowout and/or ugly losses in the early to middle part of that season. Towards the end is when we started to make progress and looked like a competent team

And I think there is another thing a tad misleading about this season.... We looked dreadful in three of our ten games thus far:

Carolina

Buffalo

San Francisco

In the other games we are 3-4 and have at least looked competent/competitive. It is obviously no coincidence that those three games are Beck's three starts.

With a horrible QB in there, we got horrible overall results. With a below average QB in there, we've been watchable and competitive.

---------- Post added November-22nd-2011 at 10:38 AM ----------

This reminds me more of 2003 than 1995.

A surprise 3-1 followed by a crater of a season.

We have spare parts filling in (like 2003) rather than young players to build on.

We're leaning on Gaffney and Moss (when he comes back) at wide receiver.

The Oline is patchwork with long term question marks all over the place (including Williams).

The quarterback position is being manned by a short term QB (just like 03 after Ramsey went out and we had the lesser Hasselbeck quarterbacking us).

The defense appears to be in much better shape long term than they did in 2003 in the front 7 however long term questions abound for this secondary.

While things did not work out, 1995 had a feeling that they were building towards something on offense. We had young QBs playing, we had young players on the Oline (Patton, Johnson, Raymer). We had an elite prospect at receiver (Westbrook) as well as a prospect at tight end (Asher).

I would agree the 1995 team was farther ahead of this team from an offensive development standpoint, but this defense is much father along than the 1995 unit. And while I see some spare parts out there right now, I'm not sure how you are missing several young guys contributing-- especially on defense. Kerrigan has been a stud all year, an we've also gotten nice production from Helu and Neild. I thought Gomes was good in preseason and looked solid out there Sunday. That's four rookies who are currently playing and either are making an impact or showing promise. Two other rookies (Jenkins and Hankerson) looked very good before getting injured and another (Hurt) is probably worth keeping as well. And there are a fee others like Willie Smith and Brandyn Thompson who are hanging around, but have yet to see the field really.

Orakpo is young enough to build around and Riley looks fantastic in his two starts.

In summary, I see a ton of young talent on defense.... Offensively, no doubt there is work to be done and it of course starts with QB.

Question Ed, just for ***** and giggles to see where your still at ultimately.

As you agree that Lucks out on his own, and as such the #1 pick is the only one worth remotely losing for; let's say for the sake of argument, as it look's, it's both Indy's and we don't have a clue if they'd trade it or take the Cardinal. Would you still be happy with the team building on last Sunday and winning say 2 or 3 more games, taking us well out of a realistic trade-up position if Indy so decided to go that route? Or with the possibility still open, would you rather have the strongest possible draft hand at play come the season's end?

Hail.

Question Ed, just for ***** and giggles to see where your still at ultimately.

As you agree that Lucks out on his own, and as such the #1 pick is the only one worth remotely losing for; let's say for the sake of argument, as it look's, it's both Indy's and we don't have a clue if they'd trade it or take the Cardinal. Would you still be happy with the team building on last Sunday and winning say 2 or 3 more games, taking us well out of a realistic trade-up position if Indy so decided to go that route? Or with the possibility still open, would you rather have the strongest possible draft hand at play come the season's end?

Hail.

Depends on HOW it happens. If we look like junk these past six games but somehow manage to beat, say the Vikings 9-6 and it costs us a few draft slots.... No, I would not be in favor of that. At the end of the 2009 season I was actively rooting for us to lose to San Diego as I saw no redeeming value at all in winning that game... The staff was going to be gone anyway and I did not want to lose draft position for a totally hollow win.

But if the team played very well over what would now be a seven game stretch... Yes, I'd like for that to happen because I believe it would signal that we are a bit farther along than we thought and it might help us streamline our off season goals.

And technically, I suppose you could argue that any team that isn't a legit SB contender is hurting themeless every time they win a game. The Texans aren't going to win the AFC now sans Schaub and Williams... Technically, they could probably put themselves in better position for 2012 by losing out...

IMO, to move up from two to one in this draft it would cost us two firsts, a second, and maybe a guy like Orakpo... And that might not be enough. I am not saying I wouldn't do it.... I might... But I like the idea of what we did this past draft and I would prefer to stay that course. It certainly assumes that Shanallen will be able to find their QB wherever, but that is something I'll just have to have faith in.

And like I have mentioned many times before, after Luck, I see little difference between the 2nd best prospect in this draft and the 7th best.... If you could guarantee me that Brandon Weeden would be there in round two, I'd actually PREFER that to drafting any other guy not named Luck.

Thank you man. If only to satisfy my curiosity it's appreciated.

Hail.

And I do want to clarify that I am by no means calling anyone out who wants us to lose... I totally get it and if the circumstances play out, I could be right with you over the last couple weeks of the season.

And I also don't want to give them impression that I'm counting down the hours to kickoff in Seattle. Far from it... The real anticipation and excitement of this season have long passed... And to be honest, given my expectations, was never really there in the first place.

But like I said, my emotional reaction to "caring" is unplanned. At the end of the Spurrier and Zorn runs I would wake up, think about the Redskins, think "ugh" and just wish we could forfeit the rest of our games because I ha zero interest and felt almost obligated to at least keep up with the team. Now, for whatever reason, this team is holding my interest

Not trying to sell anything. Just expressing my personal view right now.... And don't get me wrong, I'm not excited or even confident going forward, but I'm sort of calm about things right now. Not really panicked or downtrodden at all.

Kleese we call that feeling you have "in a state of shock" due to how terrible we are.. J/K man but in all seriousness, I'm one of the most biggest, homerism (if thats used correctly) fan in NC!!! I waive my flag every Sunday and wear by B&G throughout the week. I drank the kool-aide in the beginning of the season (like I always do) but this time it was a little sweeter and I felt this was our year even with Rex and Beck at the helm, Boy was I wrong and I'm OK with it, I know it sounds silly to say we should lose the remaining games and you could never in a million years hearing me say that at the beginning of the season or ever. I wanted us to play Dallas close and of course my heart would have pumped a million times a minute had we won, but as I was driving home from the sportsbar a little part of me was happy that we lost because we gave Dallas all they could handle and took the "L" but didn't mess up our low draft standing as of now.. So I hear what your saying and as much as I hate to say it, I hope your wrong, this organization has been without a franchise QB since Theismann and I think we take our bumps for the remainder of the season while giving our young guys some experience and get our QB in the draft and build around him..

HTTR,,

In the last 13 years we have averaged the 10th round pick.

Not sure why anyone is concerned with the pick. We always get a good one.

It has produced nothing.

Because there are 3 or 4 legitimate franchise QB's in this draft and we haven't had a franchise qb since Brad Johnson (and for those of you questioning whether he was a franchise QB, you just made my point even stronger). WE NEED A QB. We don't have to find a diamond in the rough a la Jay cutler. We don't have to overthink it and draft Blackmon first and then Kellen Moore in the second. We can simply choose the one shanny likes best out of Landry Jones, Barkley, or RG3. We don't trade for peyton Manning. We don't sign Matt Flynn. We don't play games. We draft the BEST available QB because this draft is deep with them. You want to be picking in the top 4 to ensure you get your choice after Luck goes.

Because there are 3 or 4 legitimate franchise QB's in this draft and we haven't had a franchise qb since Brad Johnson (and for those of you questioning whether he was a franchise QB, you just made my point even stronger). WE NEED A QB. We don't have to find a diamond in the rough a la Jay cutler. We don't have to overthink it and draft Blackmon first and then Kellen Moore in the second. We can simply choose the one shanny likes best out of Landry Jones, Barkley, or RG3. We don't trade for peyton Manning. We don't sign Matt Flynn. We don't play games. We draft the BEST available QB because this draft is deep with them. You want to be picking in the top 4 to ensure you get your choice after Luck goes.

Unless you are like me and believe there is ONE fairly sure thing in the draft (Luck) followed by two very good prospects (RG3, Barkley) followed by highly overrated potential busts (Jones, Tannehill) followed by some possible steals (Moore, Weeden) followed by some deep sleepers (Cousins, Foles, Keenum).

I am not nearly as in love with the 2nd-5th rated QBs in this draft as most people are. You can do well in this draft at that position picking almost anywhere.

It'll be just like last year. If we had to win game number 6, it should have been Dallas as opposed to the stupid JVille game. The amount that win ended up costing us in the draft...

I think Ryan Kerrigan is going to be a stud for a long time. Shannahan and Allen wound up gathering 12 picks with some really good players. I think last years draft was by far the best in the past 15 years and with the amount of picks we have over the next two drafts, I suspect we will be ok in 2-3 years and competing for NFC East championships on a regular basis again. I know we are not getting Andrew Luck but I really like Matt Barkley anyway, I would work some magic if I was Allen to make sure this kid gets drafted (If he even comes out).

Unless you are like me and believe there is ONE fairly sure thing in the draft (Luck) followed by two very good prospects (RG3, Barkley) followed by highly overrated potential busts (Jones, Tannehill) followed by some possible steals (Moore, Weeden) followed by some deep sleepers (Cousins, Foles, Keenum).

I am not nearly as in love with the 2nd-5th rated QBs in this draft as most people are. You can do well in this draft at that position picking almost anywhere.

I hadn't heard Landry Jones in the same "potential bust" category as Tennehill (incidentally, I agree on Tannehill). Why don't you like Jones? he looks fantastic to me. I think he'd be my second rated after Luck. But you have me curious now. RG3's stock has been rising with me lately too.

I am REALLY worried about the idea of those "deep sleepers" and even the "possible steals". We just cannot afford to miss. I have toyed with the notion of a Blackmon in the first round, Moore in the second scenario. If it works out and the 2nd round QB is fantastic, it is such a great move but I will tell you that on draft night I will be pissed. I don't like a lot of risk this year. Obviously, I am hoping to be able to grab RG3, Barkley, or Jones. After that I really don't feel good about the guys left. Like you, I see some sleeper potential but I don't want to go the risky route this year. I want to KNOW we got the guy for the next 10 years. I hate that we can't get luck.

I feel positve about the team and the direction the FO is going. I think we have the right coaches in place and a stable FO structure. I also feel good about drafting again.

However, we still need a QB, and QB are hard to draft. We can keep drafting good players and keep getting better, but if we want to get back in the playoff hunt continually we need a QB.

I don't have a problem losing out if it puts the FO in a position to draft a franchise QB. I also don't mind if we win out as long as we are in a position to draft a franchise QB.

Feeling good is nice, but feeling good and acquiring a franchise QB would really be nice.

Archived