Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

This Reminds Me of 1995 (Potentially Bad News For Draft Hopefuls)

kleese

So often, my gut tells me what is happening before my head accepts it.

Sometimes I will say I don't care about a game, when I actually do. Sometimes I'll say I've given up on a season before I actually do. And sometimes even when I seemingly SHOULD care my gut guides me otherwise.

For example, in 2008 we played a Cincinnati late in the year in a game that had big playoff implications for us. I should have been into that game, but I had very little emotion that game. What I had seen and what I'd truly felt about the team in previous weeks had sealed the deal for me before we even kicked off that day.

Right now, for some reason, I still feel fairly positive about things overall. I can't quite put my finger on it. It isn't blind homersim either because we've been in this spot plenty (out of the playoff race by Thanksgiving) and I haven't felt this way.

Last time I remember feeling like this was 1995.

For those that don't remember, we got off to a decent start in 1995, then hit a brick wall... So big losses and a long losing streak left us reeling. But there was a little something about that team that made me stick with them... And down the stretch, they played very well, winning three of their let four games and being competitive over the final six weeks overall. This of course included a win in Dallas over the eventual SB champs.

That was also year two of a rebuild and at the end of 95, despite our 6-10 record, I felt pretty good about the team and our direction. We started the next season 7-1. Of course, we then learned of Norv's shortcomings and experienced five years of heartache after that.... But for our purposes that is immaterial.

It is certainly possible that the Dallas game was just a good day for us. Possible we put all of our heart and soul into that game and now we will quickly fade away again. That is possible for sure. There is a difference between effort and spirit. I dont think our effort will suffer, but our spirit might have been crushed for the last time this year when Gano missed the FG.

But I have a weird gut feeling right now that this team is going to end the season strong. I know that's not what many of you want to hear, but I could see it.

Again, maybe I'm off... Maybe we revert in Seattle, get beat badly, and finish with 3-4 wins. I could see that. But here is a prediction for you: If we beat Seattle, I say we win again the next week against the Jets and end the season strong, maybe adding another win or two along the way.

I'm not on pins and needles about it... Not saying I'm stoked about any of these remaining games, but the team has retained my interest more this year than what is normal for me. I think the team is buying in and I think it translates to me as a fan.

I'm a bit indifferent about the draft positioning vs. Wins things. I see both sides... But ultimately I believe that if Shanallen is the right (men) for the job, they will get it right regardless. If they know what they are doing, they will find their QB and because of

my personal views on this QB crop, I even see value in being a little lower in the order.

Point here is that if you are hoping for a top five pick, the Seattle game is huge... Game has potential to revive the team for the remaining five games... Especially on the heels of a hearty effort against Dallas. If you are locked in on that top pick, then you should be rooting very hard for the Hawks on Sunday as I see this game determing the direction of the final five games.

Good luck selling the positivity of that gut feeling man with this team.

I don't think I need to say which outcome I'm wanting come the gun Sunday.

Hail.

Not trying to sell anything. Just expressing my personal view right now.... And don't get me wrong, I'm not excited or even confident going forward, but I'm sort of calm about things right now. Not really panicked or downtrodden at all.

Not trying to sell anything. Just expressing my personal view right now.... And don't get me wrong, I'm not excited or even confident going forward, but I'm sort of calm about things right now. Not really panicked or downtrodden at all.

Figure of speech man, and I've had a similar feeling all year; even when many where getting swept up in the false hope this team has a propensity to give out through the very misleading 3-1 start.

Hail.

I think a lot of us are calm at this point, kleese, lol... there's just not much at stake so it makes it painless in some odd way. But I will say this, if the team goes on a run and wins a bunch of games I won't be down about it like some. The chemistry and winning atmosphere that creates is worth just as much to me.

Shanahan will find his QB.

In the last 13 years we have averaged the 10th round pick.

Not sure why anyone is concerned with the pick. We always get a good one.

It has produced nothing.

This is where I am as well. People say we've never been bad enough to get the pick we really need, but Shuler, Westbrook, Lavar, Samuels, and Trent were all top five picks. Champ, Rogers, Landry, ST were all just after the top five. Been there, done that. The key is having the right people MAKING the picks.

At this point I'd prefer to see some on field results like we saw Sunday in hopes that we can slowly make a dent in the culture issues that permeate the franchise.

But again, my point here wasn't to try and convince anyone of anything... Just making a bit of a prediction/warning.

---------- Post added November-21st-2011 at 10:48 PM ----------

Alright I get what you're saying...

Grossman is Frerotte

Beck is Shuler

Shanahan is Norv

So now the question is, what's John Beck's party affiliation for when he runs for Congress?

Indepndent... He appeals to everyone :)

And don't even joke about Shanny being like Norv... There is no way I could survive another run like we had from 1996-2000. That was beyond torture.

Indepndent... He appeals to everyone :)

And don't even joke about Shanny being like Norv... There is no way I could survive another run like we had from 1996-2000. That was beyond torture.

Don't shoot the messenger, I was only interpreting it a bit more clearly than OP...

This is where I am as well. People say we've never been bad enough to get the pick we really need, but Shuler, Westbrook, Lavar, Samuels, and Trent were all top five picks. Champ, Rogers, Landry, ST were all just after the top five. Been there, done that. The key is having the right people MAKING the picks.

At this point I'd prefer to see some on field results like we saw Sunday in hopes that we can slowly make a dent in the culture issues that permeate the franchise.

But again, my point here wasn't to try and convince anyone of anything... Just making a bit of a prediction/warning.

Agree. We don't need the best pick, we need the right pick. We have had some of the best picks for the past 15 years.

It's time to draft our own, resign our own, and create an environment where we are a team.

You don't win with one great player, you win with a team. We as fans are always focused on one player rather than the team.

Not to mention the quick fix.

If there was a game to win, it was the Dallas game. It actually has a little bit of meaning in this season.

If we win 2-3 more games, I'll be far more devastated by the results of this season.

It'll be just like last year. If we had to win game number 6, it should have been Dallas as opposed to the stupid JVille game. The amount that win ended up costing us in the draft...

I'm not combined anyone in this organization knows what a good QB looks like so it doesn't really matter. They purposely brought the two current idiots here and every regime before failed as well. We'll probably draft a corner or a lineman and get some project later in the draft.

What did it cost us????

The deal Cleveland got from Atlanta.

Had we lost to JVille, we end up in the 6th overall spot. Atlanta calls us, we get 5 picks over 2 drafts and have 2 first round picks to play with this year.

While I am not dissapointed with the 2011 draft, the "what could have been" bugs me, because Kevin Barnes made a clutch play against JACKSONVILLE as opposed to the COWBOYS a week earlier :ols:

5 picks. 5 freakin picks because Kevin Barnes makes a play in OT against the Jags

If there was a game to win, it was the Dallas game. It actually has a little bit of meaning in this season.

If we win 2-3 more games, I'll be far more devastated by the results of this season.

It'll be just like last year. If we had to win game number 6, it should have been Dallas as opposed to the stupid JVille game. The amount that win ended up costing us in the draft...

Very speculative.... Who knows what we do if we were in Cleveland's spot. Maybe WE take Jones? Maybe we reach for Locker? And there is a good chance we don't get Kerrigan, who I think is going to be an absolute beast for years to come.

Again, if we wound up 6-10 this year I'd be fairly pleased... Would indicate good things to me... Would not be crushed about draft positioning at all.... If these guys know what they are doing they will get the right players, period.

I think its fine to be satisfied with a loss after the fact (i am not heartbroken about sunday's loss) but its retarded to hope for losses. That said, losing to Seattle could make a big difference in the draft. Lets just say, if we are going to win 1 more game I hope its the Giants or Patriots, not the Seahawks. Bigger win, later in the year (momentum), and it doesn't hurt our draft position.

Sun: 11/27 at Seattle Seahawks - Going to place we don't do well, I see this as a loss; though it is possible we could win.

Sun: 12/4 New York Jets - Even though the Jets are overrated; we aren't beating them.

Sun: 12/11 New England Patriots - This should be our worst loss of the year

Sun: 12/18 at New York Giants - We are going to lose this divisional road game

Sat: 12/24 Minnesota Vikings - Probably our last best chance to win and I think we win it.

Sun: 1/1 at Philadelphia Eagles - Philly will want to finish with a win, we will lose this divisional road game

The Skins will finish either 4-12 or 5-11. We should still finish somewhere in the Top 10 and get our franchise QB.

Looking at the schedule, the only game I see us winning is Week 16 against the Vikings. And I only see that happening if AP is still either out or limited by that high ankle sprain.

I don't think that the Seahawks are that much better than we are, but I think they have a better QB, better top WR, better running back, slightly worse defense, and a worse O-Line than we do. The bigger thing is I think that coming off that Dallas loss, going into a weird corner of the country, and playing a team with one of the leagues best HFAs is an awful spot for us.

This is where I am as well. People say we've never been bad enough to get the pick we really need, but Shuler, Westbrook, Lavar, Samuels, and Trent were all top five picks. Champ, Rogers, Landry, ST were all just after the top five. Been there, done that.

The been there done that -- which hasn't happened is trying the franchise Qb thing. Through these 2 decades or so where we have mostly struggled, we've taken one shot at a QB with a top 5 pick. Other teams have struck out too with top 5 picks for QB and then tried again and had it work out for them ala the Lions. If Shanny likes lets say Griffin or Barkley and we aren't in the top 5, we likely have to forfeit our 2nd rounder or next years first to trade up depending on our position. When I watch these games, i am not openly rooting for them to lose, but when they do, I don't mind it. I don't buy the whole we win or lose some games towards the end of the season and it has a carry over effect.

Two things:

1. There is a big difference between legitimately finishing strong and winning a random meaningless game that hurts your draft position. With six weeks left, you can argue that there is enough time for the team to show significant progress and make a big enough impact for it to be worth it down the road. If we revert to a general non-competitive state the next four games, then I'd agree that beating the Vikes and Eagles would probably be a negative-- too late at that point to glean anything substantial.

2. I don't think it's a black and white issue of something "carrying over" to 2012. I don't think a win over Seattle in November 2011 necessarily translates to a win in September 2012. But here is an example of where I do think it helps:

Three weeks ago, I would have listed ILB as a major off-season need. Something that should be addressed with a very high priority. But if Riley keeps playing this way, that need becomes less significant in my eyes and we can use a high draft pick or FA dollars elsewhere.... And if there are enough Perry Riley's stepping up, then we are going to play better and increase our chances of winning.

Let's say we play the final six weeks like we played against Dallas... I'd think we would get 2-3 more wins that way, but more importantly, it would probably signal that we aren't as bad as we thought we were and could shape our direction into the off-season.

I cannot see how 1995 reminds me of the 2011 team. Remember this season well because we beat champions dallas twice. :) 95 team improved in all departments when compared to the previous season, that team lost majority of those games by a field goal. Team was better than what their 6-10 record showed.

2011 team has been loosing majority of the games in a poor effort. Had regressed from the previous season. Hopefully it's a 2 steps backward to make 3 step forwards sort of thing.

Archived