Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Garage Door Safety

KingGibbs

This is for anyone on here that has a garage and in particular, extension springs.

A couple of weeks ago, my wife and I were awoken to a very loud noise. It sounded like someone was trying to kick our basement door in. Well, after checking everything out we could not find what it was.

The next day I checked all of the doors and still nothing. I then went to open the garage door and it would barely budge. I looked at the garage door and there was one of the springs and a pulley dangling from the track.

Apparently, the spring had worn out and broke at the loop. Had this hit someone it could've led to serious injury or even death.

This is one of those things we just don't think about, but it is recommended that safety cables be installed on the springs.

I bought some new springs and looped safety cables through the springs. If you don't already know, these springs stretch to around 6+ feet and when they snap it's like a missile.

Just thought I'd throw this info out there to the ES family. Inspect your springs.

I have 2 garage doors, had one spring on one break. Same as you could not lift the door. I've heard horror stories about injuries from replacing these springs. I had all of them replaced on all doors by a garage door company. I didn't even want to mess with them.

I have 2 garage doors, had one spring on one break. Same as you could not lift the door. I've heard horror stories about injuries from replacing these springs. I had all of them replaced on all doors by a garage door company. I didn't even want to mess with them.

Good call. This is something you don't want to mess around with, unless you really know what you're doing.

I had one break about a year ago. They're not very cheap to replace either.

Archived