Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WEx: Matt Bowen's Take on Redskins v Bills

Oldfan

Hap posted this in Bubba's Breaking News.

Some good stuff here for hardcore football fans.

John Keim ~ Matt Bowen, now an analyst for the National Football Post, was always one of the best players to discuss strategy with when he played for the Redskins. Nothing has changed; he’s still tough to beat when it comes to talking X’s and O’s.

http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/nfl/2011/10/experts-take-redskins-vs-bills

Just the defense isn't going to cut it in this game..

we'll need the defense to do their best, especially in stopping the run, and hold them to 20 points or less.

AND we'll need the offense to control the clock with the run game and be able to put up more than 20 points.

If either of those things don't happen.. we lose.. Defense needs to hold to 20 or under and offense needs to put up more than 20.

A failure either way is a loss in this game... and the NE game and the Philly game and the San Fran game.

...AND we'll need the offense to control the clock with the run game and be able to put up more than 20 points...
This offense is designed to control the clock WCO style, with both the run and the pass. Off the top, using both TEs as receivers and to aid the run blocking sounds like a good start on game planning to me.

This offense is designed to control the clock WCO style, with both the run and the pass. Off the top, using both TEs as receivers and to aid the run blocking sounds like a good start on game planning to me.

it does without considering the issues involved.

We need to hold back a RB or a TE on the left to help out the blind side. We currently don't have a great RB or TE to hold back for blocking on the blind.. so it might be D. Young.

That limits our options without calling us out before the play is even run. They knew what we were doing last week before the play even started because of that.

We need to be creative this game... ala philly against us.

We need to encourage the rush on the left (against a bad pass rush defense).. and then run draws or screens.

Somehow on offense, we'll need to control the clock without looking super obvious like we did last week.... run run pass... run run pass... oh wait... it's 3rd and 2... shotgun pass, shotgun pass, shotgun pass...

On the Redskins’ defense: “Before Carolina I looked at their defense as a playoff unit. One game doesn’t change my opinion. They have the talent. I love LaRon; he’s the best in the box safety in the NFL. But you can’t give up big plays. I’d like to see them get more turnovers and create more opportunities especially with Beck in there. If this team is going to move forward and still be in the discussion in the NFC, it has to come from the defense.”

Coming from a guy that played the game and does nothing but watch tape, I value his opinion like no other when it comes to football.

Orakpo in coverage is a dangerous thing for us. If he comes into the game as O-Sak-Po and pressures the QB and knock him on his A!@@, we gotta chance. Same thing for Kerrigan, he looks like he's in a slump right now.

If both of our prized outside LBs are dropped back in coverage all game, then it will be a long day for them and us.

Fred Davis presents the same mismatch and he's our playmaker. Their LBs can't cover him but he can't do it alone. Torain, and Helu will need to step up big. If we can get production from our receivers than great but I don't think so.

But everyone is overlooking Banks, he has yet to do the dougie in the endzone. He doesn't seem to have the big play ability he used to having. He also needs to step up big.

:helmet:

it does without considering the issues involved.

We need to hold back a RB or a TE on the left to help out the blind side. We currently don't have a great RB or TE to hold back for blocking on the blind.. so it might be D. Young...

I have Merriman as their blindside rusher and he's out. What am I missing?

Not much - the Bills lack of pass rush is their Achilles heel on defense. We should be able to pass protect and I agree with you that Fred Davis will be a (the) key receiver for us.

The majic number in the NFL is 17. Score more than 17 you'll win more than 50%, score less and you'll lose more than 50% This number may begin to inch higher as the NFL continues to change the rules of the game year in and year out to favor the offense.

---------- Post added October-28th-2011 at 03:12 PM ----------

I'm more than alittle worried, the Skins have had a hard time stopping good backs this year.

I puke every time I see that. I want to see Kerrign and Orakpo in a five man front spilt wide and in a sprinter's stance.

I think that's right - both are much better going forwards than dropping. However the Bills do throw a lot of screens and are very good at them so if you are sending both outside backers on a regular basis you had better scheme to handle the screens you are going to get as a counter.

doesn't matter.. we have a back up and an out of position player on that side. They'll just overload it.

If I was Buffalo, I would overload the left side of our line every damn time until we managed to rip some runs off to the right that gashed them.

We did that last week, but it wasn't enough.

I think that's right - both are much better going forwards than dropping. However the Bills do throw a lot of screens and are very good at them so if you are sending both outside backers on a regular basis you had better scheme to handle the screens you are going to get as a counter.
Yep. What I'm suggesting is that wide-9 look which is vulnerable to screens... but every defense has its vulnerabilities.

doesn't matter.. we have a back up and an out of position player on that side. They'll just overload it.

If I was Buffalo, I would overload the left side of our line every damn time until we managed to rip some runs off to the right that gashed them.

We did that last week, but it wasn't enough.

The Bills have 4 sacks all year and also give up over 5 yards per carry against the run. Whats saved them on defense is their ability to create turnovers - they have 12 picks which is impressive given that they have not been getting much pass rush.

The Bills have 4 sacks all year and also give up over 5 yards per carry against the run. Whats saved them on defense is their ability to create turnovers - they have 12 picks which is impressive given that they have not been getting much pass rush.

And what had Carolina done up until last week??

Yet we had a sack w/ a fumble and an INT... we ripped off some runs, but Carolina even said after the game that they knew what plays we were going to run before we said hike.

As bad as you want to say Buffalo is on the D line.. Carolina is worse.

There's seriously nothing to hang your hat on this game.

We'll need to be creative period... if we aren't.. we lose.. badly.

And what had Carolina done up until last week??

Yet we had a sack w/ a fumble and an INT... we ripped off some runs, but Carolina even said after the game that they knew what plays we were going to run before we said hike.

As bad as you want to say Buffalo is on the D line.. Carolina is worse.

There's seriously nothing to hang your hat on this game.

We'll need to be creative period... if we aren't.. we lose.. badly.

Carolina are pretty good at rushing the passer - they have 12 sacks on the year. Overall though we did a decent job in pass pro against them.

I do think we are going to have to be more aggressive than we were first half of the game last week.

...but Carolina even said after the game that they knew what plays we were going to run before we said hike.
If there was any truth to that statement, their defense did an incredibly bad job.

Our offense racked up 353 yards in 24:30 TOP. If we had managed to keep the ball for 30 minutes, that adjusts to 432 yards of offense. That's not bad if they knew what we were going to run.

It was Carolina's offense, playing ball control better than we did, that won the game for them.

If there was any truth to that statement, their defense did an incredibly bad job.

Yeah it's true..

"Munnerlyn said things were flowing so well at times on defense that the Panthers were calling out what the Redskins would run before the ball was hiked.We knew they were going to do a lot of boot action, and we knew they were going to try to get to the edge on the run, Munnerlyn said. "

Panthers are also a really really bad defense.

Buffalo is also a really bad defense.. but they have a very impressive offense.

EDIT: Btw.. that quote is very hard to find now.. surprisingly... most articles will have it in the preview section on google.. like a snip it of what google shows in the article.. but the quote no longer exists in the article. Strange.

EDIT: Btw.. that quote is very hard to find now.. surprisingly... most articles will have it in the preview section on google.. like a snip it of what google shows in the article.. but the quote no longer exists in the article. Strange.

Maybe it was edited because this line isn't supported by the quote:

Munnerlyn said things were flowing so well at times on defense that the Panthers were calling out what the Redskins would run before the ball was hiked.

"We knew they were going to do a lot of boot action, and we knew they were going to try to get to the edge on the run, Munnerlyn said. "

Any knowledgeable Redskins fan could have told them that.

Our offense racked up 353 yards in 24:30 TOP. If we had managed to keep the ball for 30 minutes, that adjusts to 432 yards of offense. That's not bad if they knew what we were going to run.

It was Carolina's offense, playing ball control better than we did, that won the game for them.

Exactly. We did not stop the run. We were incapable of stopping the run in the first half and our secondary could not cover and collapsed in the second half. We put no pressure on Cam Newton.

why is that our 3-4 Lbs are always in coverage? i never see any other LBs who rush the qb in coverage like Ware
It's supposed to be part of the 3-4 as a way to occasionally deceive the offense. I think these DCs often over-think strategy.

It's supposed to be part of the 3-4 as a way to occasionally deceive the offense. I think these DCs often over-think strategy.

Seriously but do you ever see Harrison or Timmons playing 30 yds down field or Suggs. I find it hilarious that whatever we do is always wrong. Our coaches over think everything.

Archived