Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DCist: Capitol Hemp Locations Raided, Employees Arrested

#98QBKiller

Unless they had slaves in the basement, it seems DC should have bigger priorities than hemp shops.

http://dcist.com/2011/10/capitol_hemp_raided.php

Capitol Hemp Locations Raided, Employees Arrested

Capitol Hemp's two D.C. locations -- in Adams Morgan and Chinatown -- were raided by police last night, resulting in the seizure of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise and the arrest of seven employees. The stores sell products made of hemp, as well as water pipes and vaporizers that can be used for tobacco.

The flagship location opened in Adams Morgan in 2008, and is owned by Adam Eidinger, a local activist, political consultant and advocate for medical marijuana. According to a source close to the store, they will reopen tomorrow.

We'll have more details as we get them.

Is it illegal to sell products made from hemp there?

Not sure, I'm trying to find that info now, but all that I'm coming across are DC's marijuana policies.

---------- Post added October-27th-2011 at 12:52 PM ----------

And you would also think that DC's medical marijuana policies would mean more tolerance toward the sale of hemp products.

Thank god those criminals are behind bars. Do you know how dangerous that stuff is? If you smoke it, you get a splitting head ache. Those terrorists could have made food, clothing, furniture, resigns,paper, rope or a number of other things with a product that grows 7 times faster than any other plant with fibers like that and barely destroys the soil!

Great marketing, didn't know that place existed. Perhaps I'll stop by.

:ols:

Just don't bring your weed with you:

Update:

UDPATE (1:25 p.m.): According to a source, the two stores were raided simultaneously at 7 p.m. on Wednesday, with some 15 police officers entering each location. Four people, including one customer, were arrested in Adams Morgan; three employees were arrested in Chinatown. Some of those arrested were found to have small amounts of marijuana on them, but the raids seem to have been motivated by the sale of drug paraphernalia. (Selling water pipes in the District is not illegal, and other stores in Adams Morgan similarly sell them; police have to prove that intent existed to use such paraphernalia for illegal purposes.)

Sources told us that the stores would not sell pipes or other smoking implements to anyone who hinted they would use them for illegal drugs. He also said that the stores sell loose tobacco, and that they discontinued the sale of "spice," a form of synthetic marijuana declared illegal by the federal government in late 2010, last December.

We've reached out to police, but have yet to hear back. Once we do, we'll update again

I think they might be screwed on this one. Maybe if no-one had any weed on them could they make the "It's for tobacco use" claim, but once actual pot was found in the store, I think they lost that stance for good.

Do the police not need to have a reason to raid first, rather than the results of the raid justifying it?

Do the police not need to have a reason to raid first, rather than the results of the raid justifying it?

Dont get me wrong, I fully am in your camp on this. I just think it sucked that someone was dumb enough to be there with drugs and if they hadnt, there likely wouldnt e a case. Now its just shakier (IMHO)

Dont get me wrong, I fully am in your camp on this. I just think it sucked that someone was dumb enough to be there with drugs and if they hadnt, there likely wouldnt e a case. Now its just shakier (IMHO)
I doubt they have a case anyway. They could probably find drugs on just as many patrons if they raided a CVS. The guys who run Capitol Hemp are very sharp and have a lot of support from the community. They will get some sort of small fine and everyone will claim victory.

Now I want to check out this place. At least buy a lighter.

When I went to school in Western PA there was a shop like this called "Simply Kind" that would be raided every few months with nothing found. But by doing it, they would shut the place down for a few weeks and eventually it went out of business....or rather moved to Penn State, and opened one at Maryland for a bit.

What are these guys being charged with?

If you're running and owning a head shop. You gotta be smart enough to keep anything illegal out of there. If a dumb customer comes in with weed in their pocket, they deserve to get busted I guess.

---------- Post added October-27th-2011 at 04:06 PM ----------

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/27/capitol-hemp-police-raid_n_1035398.html

WASHINGTON -- D.C. police officers in bulletproof vests raided Capitol Hemp's Chinatown and Adams Morgan locations Wednesday night, arresting six employees and one customer.

Four of those employees and the customer were released, Capitol Hemp co-owner Adam Eidinger told The Huffington Post. The two still in jail are scheduled to be arraigned Thursday afternoon at the D.C. Superior Court.

Eidinger said that police "ransacked the stores" and confiscated "hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise," including glassware and the store's computers.

"Two employees and one customer were found with trace amounts of marijuana on them. Less than a gram. But that had nothing to do with our store," Eidinger added. "The employees were violating store policy."

Eidinger said he suspects the raids were politically motivated. He has been a "vocal critic" of a proposed luxury hotel in Adams Morgan, for which the developer received a $46 million tax abatement.

On Wednesday, Eidinger posted a note to the Adams Morgan online message board calling for an Occupy Adams Morgan to begin immediately after a Thursday evening community meeting with D.C. officials to talk about the proposed development.

"I think it's no coincidence that the day I talk about occupying in my own community, in my own neighborhood where I live, where I own a business, that I'm raided," Eidinger said.

Eidinger said that the Capitol Hemp stores are closed Thursday, but will be open again on Friday.

---------- Post added October-27th-2011 at 04:08 PM ----------

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/27/capitol-hemp-police-raid_n_1035398.html

WASHINGTON -- D.C. police officers in bulletproof vests raided Capitol Hemp's Chinatown and Adams Morgan locations Wednesday night, arresting six employees and one customer.

Four of those employees and the customer were released, Capitol Hemp co-owner Adam Eidinger told The Huffington Post. The two still in jail are scheduled to be arraigned Thursday afternoon at the D.C. Superior Court.

Eidinger said that police "ransacked the stores" and confiscated "hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of merchandise," including glassware and the store's computers.

"Two employees and one customer were found with trace amounts of marijuana on them. Less than a gram. But that had nothing to do with our store," Eidinger added. "The employees were violating store policy."

Eidinger said he suspects the raids were politically motivated. He has been a "vocal critic" of a proposed luxury hotel in Adams Morgan, for which the developer received a $46 million tax abatement.

On Wednesday, Eidinger posted a note to the Adams Morgan online message board calling for an Occupy Adams Morgan to begin immediately after a Thursday evening community meeting with D.C. officials to talk about the proposed development.

"I think it's no coincidence that the day I talk about occupying in my own community, in my own neighborhood where I live, where I own a business, that I'm raided," Eidinger said.

Eidinger said that the Capitol Hemp stores are closed Thursday, but will be open again on Friday.

The place is just a couple miles from where I live, I'm definitely going to drop in tomorrow when they open back up. The employees were dumb to have pot on them but the owner is right, they were violating store policy. I'm guessing he's going to have to fire them now to prove a point?

Archived