Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

SI.com: Peter King's "Stat Of The Week" about Gregg Williams' defense

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2011/writers/peter_king/09/11/week.1/3.html

Stat of the Week

Noted New Orleans defensive coordinator Gregg Williams has to be polishing up his drawing board this morning, figuring out what to draw on it. In the Saints' last two games, the defense has been awful. Against one struggling offensive team (Seattle, in the playoffs last year) and one superior one (Green Bay, on Thursday), here's how the Saints' defense fared in eight quarters combined:

Defensive points allowed: 76

Touchdowns allowed: 10

QB line: 49-of-70 (.700), 7 TD, 1 Int., 122.6 rating

Yards allowed: 814

The Seattle game is a very valid point. NO were shocking that day up in the far North West.

But I don't think it was poor defense from either GB or the Saints in the opener so much as fantastic offense. Brees and Rodgers where fantastic, matching each other series for series. The Saints D has really turned around under Gregg. They'll be fine going forward.

Hail.

From what I saw it's the same thing that plagued him in Washington. He cannot generate pressure with his front 4. He has to blitz in order to do so.

then, when you blitz, you are forced into man coverage. Which Green Bay absolutely torched him for, and he called off the hounds. Then he was stuck in zone with Aaron Rodgers having all the time in the world to pick NO apart.

Also, the lack of turnovers is a direct result of having to blitz. Very tough to get INT's in man coverage. INT's, as a rule, happen when you're sitting back in zone reading the play.

Yeah his defense could be just like the 2006 Redskins defense. They don't have the same playmakers in the backfield that they had their SB year either. Brees might just have to have a career year with some more unknown receivers since theirs are hurt, and Bush is gone too.

Yeah his defense could be just like the 2006 Redskins defense. They don't have the same playmakers in the backfield that they had their SB year either. Brees might just have to have a career year with some more unknown receivers since theirs are hurt, and Bush is gone too.
If Thomas and Sproles keep it up, the Saints won't miss Bush one bit.

From what I saw it's the same thing that plagued him in Washington. He cannot generate pressure with his front 4. He has to blitz in order to do so.

then, when you blitz, you are forced into man coverage. Which Green Bay absolutely torched him for, and he called off the hounds. Then he was stuck in zone with Aaron Rodgers having all the time in the world to pick NO apart.

Also, the lack of turnovers is a direct result of having to blitz. Very tough to get INT's in man coverage. INT's, as a rule, happen when you're sitting back in zone reading the play.

I like Rodgers and own him in both my fantasy leagues. He did nothing in the second half.

Archived