Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A good third down defense?

Art

I knew it was going pretty good, but we've only given up 4 of 31 third down conversions so far. That's OUTSTANDING. Now, we gave up something similar the final two games of last year too when the defense was a little more free flowing and Lavar was upright. Perhaps there's something to this Lavar at linebacker thing.

That's GREAT!!!!

Last season it seemed like we gave up way too many big plays on 3rd and long. If someone had a 3rd and 12, we gave up 15 yards, or on 3rd and 15, we would give up 20 yards.

Maybe the D has finally gotten use to this defensive system

We are like third in fewest third down attempts and tied for first in fewest surrendered. But, we also are third in plays. We've only had 108 run against us. We are also third in fewest first downs against a game and second in time of possession. It's statistically pretty good defensively so far. Gotta weather a bad game eventually to figure out how good :).

To be honest, that is one of the most important defensive stats next to points allowed. It's so weird because every time it's third and long I groan because I think back to years past when third and long was almost a sure thing that they would convert. But that is no longer the case. They seem to be doing a heck of job holding their ground.

Someone asked about whether or not the Skins were giving up too many first downs on first and second down plays.

According to espn.com, the Skins rank third overall for fewest first downs surrendered with 28, Houston is tops with 26, and Tampa Bay is second with 27.

Originally posted by GURU

Someone asked about whether or not the Skins were giving up too many first downs on first and second down plays.

According to espn.com, the Skins rank third overall for fewest first downs surrendered with 28, Houston is tops with 26, and Tampa Bay is second with 27.

That was me. Thanks for the stat. I haven't seen that yet.

While super aggressive defenses like Buddy Ryan's "46" are sure fun to watch, the truth is that they're so risky that they're hard to win with it. By my count, despite approximately 22 years of Buddy Ryan defenses since he started coaching the Bears as a coordinator (I'm counting Jeff Fisher's tenure in Tennessee), only two teams with that defense have reached the Super Bowl ('86 Bears; '99 Titans), and only one has won.

The best defenses in recent memory, the '02 Bucs and the '00 Ravens, have had defenses that had disciplined D-lines that could generate pressure without blitzing, mobile LB's who were sure tacklers and free to roam, smart safeties, and solid corners in coverage. That puts an offense in a terrible dilemma: what do you attack if the defense doesn't need to spread itself thin in one area to help another?

We have all of those things this year except a line that can generate pressure on its own. But we have the next best thing - they stay in their lanes and play disciplined, allowing the rest of the defense to shut the opposition down. And any pressure Bruce can get on his own is just gravy. :)

You nailed this one Henry:

Henry Yes CanyonMan, but that's by design. The WCO expects it's receivers to get YAC, which our defense didn't allow in game one. We get credit for that.

Bowen made a a big play along the sideline to hold 'em one yard short, then LaVar made a play over the middle on a wide reciever screen to force a punt; in the same series.

Our D gets MVP so far. Not to minimize what our O has done but our D has held the game close until our O could get it's $hit together:applause:

Archived