Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Anyone notice.....

Art

The Giants played a TON of zone coverage against Carter. I don't understand why either. They have pretty good corners, but maybe they feared the speed of the receivers on the Cowboys. I just couldn't believe how much zone they were playing. You have to put a body on a body with Carter and make him make the stick throw because he can make the throw in space.

Bad game-planning in my opinion.

I think if anything Ramsey has shown if you blitz him he'll hurt you. So, the Giants would be foolish to blitz him. They have to play coverage. How they play that coverage will be interesting. I don't think Ramsey is as good against a well designed zone defense as he could be. You saw a little of that against the Jets when they went to coverage. I would play zone against us, but I wouldn't blitz and play zone behind it. The Giants did a LOT of that. If they blitz and play a shell behind it Ramsey will kill them. The Giants have to decide to blitz and go man and hope for the best, or just pressure with the front four and keep seven in zones. Give up some running plays to get depth in the passing game and see if Spurrier sticks with the run.

I still think this is the method teams need to take to beat us. Focus on the passing game. Take it away. Ignore the running game and play action fakes until Spurrier shows he will keep running until you respond. I don't know if he's shown that very often.

Good analysis.

For some reason, many often say that you "Have" to blitz a young qb, maybe the Giants will buy into that and get burned.

I think Spurrier will stay with the run, as long as we are not desperately behind. He always did at UF and I think the media is making more of the "new found" running game than it really is. I personally think that Spurrier didn't have confidence in the run last year because he couldn't call the type of plays he wanted to with Davis in the game.

That's interesting about the zone though. I'm guessing, but it seems like the Fun and Gun would be particularly good vs. the zone because of the seams in the defense. I hope Ramsey improves.

Originally posted by Art

I think if anything Ramsey has shown if you blitz him he'll hurt you. So, the Giants would be foolish to blitz him. They have to play coverage. How they play that coverage will be interesting. I don't think Ramsey is as good against a well designed zone defense as he could be. You saw a little of that against the Jets when they went to coverage. I would play zone against us, but I wouldn't blitz and play zone behind it. The Giants did a LOT of that. If they blitz and play a shell behind it Ramsey will kill them. The Giants have to decide to blitz and go man and hope for the best, or just pressure with the front four and keep seven in zones. Give up some running plays to get depth in the passing game and see if Spurrier sticks with the run.

Exactly for reference go back to last year when Ramsey went in to play in the Titans game, They blitzed him all game long and he burned them.

Then the following week playing the Saints they primarily played a 3 or 4 man front and put every one else out in coverage resulting in Ramsey throwing multiple picks. It will be interesting to see how the Giants scheme him

I really liked the calls for WR screens w/ Coles' speed, screens/swings to Canidate, etc. With all of this speed, you add a third dimension to your play calling, forces defenses to adjust.

If the Giants do play a lot of zone coverage, these may be the calls that break them, particularly if they paly more of a cover 4 to take away the deep ball. This will leave the flats open, and the corners on their heels.

If this is applied effectively, these plays in the flat force the corners to come up, opening up the sidelines for the deep ball.

I would like to see more of this in the mix next week.

Originally posted by Mad Monkey

Then the following week playing the Saints they primarily played a 3 or 4 man front and put every one else out in coverage resulting in Ramsey throwing multiple picks.

This supports my point- if my memory is correct, the Skins' offense adjusted to this by plays in the flat, resulting in multiple effetive drives, including a big screen to Betts that went the distance.

Well Art, I agree on some points. Patrick certainly didn't

kill the blitz in the first half. Who can with the blocking

we showed early on.

It seems like the teams who give Patrick the most trouble

are those who are able to disguise their defenses, much

like what happened to Carter on that early interception.

I like the idea of establishing the run; and I believe we

have the talent to do it. Running has the benefit of

invigorating the line and protecting the valuable resourses

we have in Ramsey and Coles. We asre lucky one or both

of them were not lost.

If we can get the Giants to commit to the run and catch them

in a zone coverage that underneath route will wreck havoc.

The reason the Pats scare me is their ability to disguise and confuse Ramsey. Obviously a blitz that actually gets to the QB is a sure-fire winner. The point is there are QBs who can't make plays in the face of a blitz and that includes those that don't get to them. They are so focused on the blitz and getting rid of the ball and not taking the sack or the hit that they miss opportunity. Ramsey can make plays in the face of a blitz, taking hits. Not taking sacks, of course, as that's a sure-fire way to stop any play.

Originally posted by Mad Monkey

Your memory is correct! I agree if they use this approach the flats will be open, but I hope we would not need to rely on them to move the ball

Good!

I don't mean for this to be our big threat. It's sole purpose would be to keep their coverage honest, which will allow us to focus on our real goal- the deep ball!

Originally posted by National Defense

its not just the ability of the pats D to confuse ramsey--its their ability to confuse our linemen and backs! but we'll save that discussion for another week....

Although our line and backs had a very bad 1st quarter, it's important to note the improvements they made as the game wore on.

This was their first real test against the 3-4, which can blitz from all directions. They have not had much practice against the 3-4.

Now, with this experience, they will be better prepared for teams like New England, etc.

Besides, the real problem w/ pass protection is with the backs. Once they pick up the blitz better, the sacks # will go way down.

As bad as the pass protection was in the first half and with as many hits as Ramsey and Coles took, I'm hoping that SS comes out of the gate running more than he ever has. Although the ratio is better than last year, he's still missing opportunities to run the ball effectively by passing too much.

The giants are expecting pass first and with their front four, they'll be anticipating that they'll get good pressure. I wouldn't mind a few early screens and draws to Morton and Candidate to slow down Strahan and co.

Archived