Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

The potential value of keeping only 2 QB's but 7 WR's

@DCGoldPants

Honestly, if the roster was 60, and all active or not, we'd still be arguing about 3-5 guys each year we think should stick. How many third stringers see the field anyways. Although, you could argue that higher rosters might also be a drag on the salaries some medium level guys could take.

Remember, Sammy Baugh? He did not play QB until 1945.

---------- Post added August-29th-2011 at 02:58 PM ----------

Darth Tater, I had to giggle, Oldfan doesn't even remember that. I am almost as old, but only 2 in 1945, but I did say "Hail to the Redskins".

Roster limitations are there because of money pure and simple. You only have 120+ million in salary cap and adding 7 more rookies at league minimum would be around 2.6 million dollars for 7 players who you are just developing. Rookie minimum is $375,000 per year this year but will go up to $420,000 in three years. If it's a 4-6 year veteran you're looking at about $685,000 each. Not to mention retirement benefits, etc.. Those 7 additional players would be removing money from the guys who will actually play and not adding a whole lot.

The reason the 46 man roster was implemented instead of all 53 "up", is strictly for competitive balance. Pat Kirwan says this all the time. If a team has 7 injured players by midsaeson and their week 8 opponent has none, then one team is playing with 53 and the other is playing with 46. That isn't fair in the league's eyes. Under the rules in this scenario both teams would still have 46 guys on Sunday. Sure you could fill the back end of your roster as injuries happen but they would probably not be guys that spent the offseason in your system.

Archived