Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Enough with the trivial stuff. My Texas pit is in :).

Art

I finally pulled the trigger and got a big, beautiful Texas fire pit. Nice, 20-inch diameter, 1/4-inch rolled steel. Main cooking chamber with a smoke tower for cold smoking, along with a grill area over the firebox for grilling if one were inclined.

Had to lather it up with lard and generate some smoke on Friday, but yesterday was my first actual cooking day. Hung 7 racks of ribs in the smoke tower for two hours at a perfect 150 degress. Little maintenance necessary. Transferred to main cook chamber for three hours at 225-250. Did the end to end. Sprayed with cider a couple of times. Smoked the beans and potatos as well.

Excellent product for any of you who know what I'm talking about :). The color is just unreal. When you imagine ribs done well, you imagine them with the color these have. Used old Jack Daniels oak barrells cut up as the smoke wood. Life is good :).

Congrats!

Oak whiskey barrels? What a great tip. Our store has for or five left in stock so I'm going to grab a couple and try it. These barrels smell just like Jack Daniels Black Label bourbon. The thought never crossed my mind. Thanks for sharing Art.

Art probably got a couple of slow Texans Park City Skins. With my 4.2 speed I was just to fast for him. Yeah right.:laugh:

Skinsfan44,

My pit is probably EXACTLY like your Brinkman. Mine is a little more "heavy" duty than a typical Brinkman -- though they have thicker models -- but I need that with this weather here and you live in more mild reaches.

I've done apple smoked chicken many times on my smaller smoker, just not this one. Actually, apple smoked beer-can chicken is what I've done. Like nothing else.

Sorry, Bill, but I'd NEVER use an electric smoker. If you're going to use a smoker with the upright design, use the Weber Smokey Mountain which is generally inexpensive and turns out a sweet product. But, remember, I'm a charcoal bigot :).

Art, my Brinkman Pro is just like yours, as far as the firebox, and the main smoking area, but it doesn't have the upper chamber. Instead of that, it just has a smoke stack.

Yes, apple smoked beer can chicken is awesome.

You should also try pecan smoked pork loin.

Have you tried using that Jack Daniel's oak wood with some venison? Talkin' about gooooood!!!!!!!!

Code,

If you are serious about considering a pit, I have two recommendations for you. First, buy local. These things are HEAVY and shipping will kill you. Even if the unit itself isn't considered one of the "best" on the market, you can save around $800 in shipping if you can find a rig locally. That's why I went with Lyfe Tyme.

However, if you don't have a specialty shop like this near you, then you have to buy from Texas generally and have it shipped. Then you can increase your options and buy the best. Klose is generally considered the best built pit. Gator Pit is just a nice looking, very high quality pit. I'd go with those if you can't buy local.

I have done pecan smoked pork loin. Pecan is a NICE wood if you can get it. I haven't smoked any venison. I'm trying to get a guy who kills them to bring me some and I will use those Jack Daniel's chips on that. Another cool one is oak barrels that held red wine. You can get those at specialty BBQ shops, but, also local wineries may sell them. That's great stuff for beef :).

All of my Minnesota brothers are always welcome guy. Just make sure you give me warning so I know if I need to make grub. I usually have the wife get food for me on game day. And, the bad news is we've won the last two weeks while I had sushi so I'm stuck on sushi until we lose :).

Archived