Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poll: Balanced Budget Amendment

Larry

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

It does unless a supermajority approves it.

Tell Predicto about how that works out, in practice. :)

Exactly. The supermajority for taxes thing has destroyed California. Now we want it to destroy the rest of the nation too? :doh:

It does unless a supermajority approves it.

Tell Predicto about how that works out, in practice. :)

Texas requires balanced budgets,yet still has long term debt

it does require accounting for paying off long term debt and special approval for issuing it.

Don't think we have a war exception though

added

Predicto ya'lls refusal to adjust has put ya'll in hell

Predicto ya'lls refusal to adjust has put ya'll in hell

No, you doof, not our refusal to adjust, but our legal inability. The propositions make tax increases impossible, but they also require all sorts of alloacations of the remaining money to specific needs. Because it is all in the constitution, no legislator can do his or her job responsibly.

That's my point. Putting specific spending stuff in the constitution (instead of laying out broad organizational rules and individual rights) is a recipe for disaster, if only because of the law of unintended consequences.

Your problem is with the proposition bs....the US has a higher bar (75% vs 50%)

added

hard to get much broader with this spending limit of 18% of GDP with exceptions for war and super majority exceptions.

Lotta wiggle room left,and in fact addresses your concern of a simple majority screwing up spending/taxes

add

Predicto ,you seem sure the proposition process is causing problems(and I agree)

The same problem is mirrored in Congress where a simple majority is free to screw up taxing and spending.

This amendment would prevent much the same issue WHICH the US HAS now.

Curious how both Cali and The US are in the **** ain't it?.

They already have a bill they ignore.

You referring to the "Cut, Cap, and Balance" bill?

The one that mandates that the House and Senate must pass the constitutional amendment which is the topic of this thread, before the weekend?

They have the paygo bill the senate ignores with 3/5ths vote every time. Now THATS bipartisan voting every single day?

They have a budget they have to pass every year they ignore

who polices those that make the rules, oh, thats right, those that make the rules do that.

They have the paygo bill the senate ignores with 3/5ths vote every time.

Uh,

1) I thought that pay as you go was a rule which the House imposed on themselves.

2) You want to tell me that the Senate has been getting 3/5 votes, on a regular basis?

They have a budget they have to pass every year they ignore

Ignore? Hardly. Fail to achieve? Yeah, I think you got 'em there.

Then I'll also point out that, if they've been getting 3/5 votes, then they aren't ignoring it.

(Although I don't see how you can simultaneously claim that the Senate is passing budgets that ignore Pay as You Go, and that they haven't passed any budgets whatsoever.)

Archived