Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Rotoworld via Chris Russell: Haynesworth planning to report to Redskins

MattFancy

That is the crux of the issue, and it clears some things up about this past draft and next year's.

Looking at this past draft, Shanahan focused on leadership. A majority of the players he drafted were at the very least co-captains of their teams. Kerrigan, White, Jenkins, Hankerson, and I think either Gomes or Helu were captains (I'm sure there were others, too).

Not drafting Gabbert might not have been an issue of whether or not Shanny thinks he could be a franchise QB from his skillset, but rather Shanny didn't see in Gabbert the leader of the team that he wants. Doing a quick search on NFL.com results in nothing about how Gabbert is stepping up and taking a leadership role in the Jags' offseason workouts. I've heard Ponder, Locker, and even Cam Newton doing something with their teams, but nothing from Gabbert's corner. That's not to say he hasn't been doing it, but one would think that there would be at least one story on how Gabbert was organizing something, even if just for the rookies.

Now we look at Beck, for comparison's sake. Third string for most of the year, doesn't get on the field during the regular season, yet during the lockout he's organizing, he brought in a film crew (granted, it wasn't professional, but it's better than nothing), he's taking all the right steps.

One thing is certain: Shanny wants leadership from the players. Gabbert just might not have had it.

I wouldn't expect Gabbert to assume a leadership role right away. Especially when he's not the starting QB. :2cents:

I wouldn't expect Gabbert to assume a leadership role right away. Especially when he's not the starting QB. :2cents:

If I were drafted 10th overall, I would be doing everything I could to earn that starting job. Doubtful they traded up to draft him just so they could sit him for 2-3 years. I would expect him to at least get something going with the rookies, maybe try to organize just QBs, WRs and RBs to work on timing and routes.

I doubt it would happen but if he had an epiphany and decided that he wanted to play football again? I wonder how long it would take for the wounds of last year to heal if he started kicking butt for us.

The sad thing is is that if he did just that, suited up and played his ass off at DE for us and went back to being one of, if not the best, defensive linemen in the league, in a matter of 2-3 regular season games I feel like the entire fan base would forgive him and love him and celebrate him as the prodigal son. Unfortunately I just don't see any way that happens. The talent is there for him to be much like Suh for the Lions, albeit in a different scheme, it's the mental part that's all wrong. We all know it. But I truly feel like if he turned on his heart and mind Redskins fans everywhere would love him for it because of the impact he would make.

But, we all know it's not going to happen so we hate him all the more for simply choosing to waste his talents and be a detriment to the team instead of it's biggest game-changer.

If I were drafted 10th overall, I would be doing everything I could to earn that starting job. Doubtful they traded up to draft him just so they could sit him for 2-3 years. I would expect him to at least get something going with the rookies, maybe try to organize just QBs, WRs and RBs to work on timing and routes.

Actually I think the best thing for some of these QBs is to sit for a year or two. Look at Rodgers even though he wasn't a top 10 pick (was rated as one betore the draft). I think Gabbert could use a year or 2 to learn.

Archived