Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN.com: Fired-up Friday: Redskins D or Cowboys D?

Yeah, I didn't read carefully enough haha. My contacts are drying out on me, its not my fault! :ols:

No glasses or contact moisturizer?

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 01:09 AM ----------

I'm happy someone else sees this. Lorenzo is great against the run but just doesn't have the speed or agility to play on the outside. He's a perfect fit as the runstop MLB that comes out in nickel sets. Riley and Henson can provide depth to he and Fletcher, hopefully.

I agree with the rest of your points, and of course anything Connskins posts normally, but Lorenzo being a success at MLB seems to be the surest bet of all.. He's everything Rocky wasn't, and should have been playing there all along.

I'm sure we all would have loved to see Chris Wilson or Rob Jackson outside more, anyways.

I think that Riley might start the season out next to Fletch, but it was said in another thread that we need to have a quality backup for 59 to give him a spell or learn the reins once he retires. He's been a key component, but unfortunately we can't count on him forever. Zo starts the season as a backup to learn the ins and outs of ILB, but might earn himself a starting job by midseason.

No glasses or contact moisturizer?

Both. But also lots of laziness. Lots. I find that yawning creates enough tears/moisture in your eyes to prolong the inevitable :ols:

Yes, that is indeed a recipe for ghetto late-night eye drops. Just yawn.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 01:11 AM ----------

I agree with the rest of your points, and of course anything Connskins posts normally

Ah man...I'm not controversial enough, I'm gonna have to start posting some wacky things to throw you off! Haha. I have noticed that since you joined, we've done lots of agreeing.

Both. But also lots of laziness. Lots. I find that yawning creates enough tears/moisture in your eyes to prolong the inevitable :ols:

Yes, that is indeed a recipe for ghetto late-night eye drops. Just yawn.

:ols: I like that. Lucky for me I don't need to worry about that. Pilot's eyes

Blasphemy! London Fletcher is immortal!

But yeah, I was worried about Fletcher a few years ago...but he's so durable and has such a work ethic that we, as fans, tend to take him for granted. I know his body won't hold out much longer, but year after year....He keeps playing at a high level. Eventually the concerns get muted.

I wouldn't count out Henson either, ever since that preseason game I've been rooting for the guy. Talk about effort.....he was a madman that day.

I'm fine with Henson, Riley, or LA winning the job in camp, I just think Lorenzo, even if he is changing positions, has enough experience to beat out Henson or RIley at ILB. Oh well, competition should be a good one.

:ols: I like that. Lucky for me I don't need to worry about that. Pilot's eyes

Lucky ****. I was actually told in high school by my guidance counselor, after taking the ASVAB, that if I wanted to go the military route I had scored high enough to qualify to be some type of pilot. Ironically, I have horrendous eyesight.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 01:24 AM ----------

SP, there are going to be some GREAT position battles in camp this year. Those tweet updates from training camp are going to be 10x more addicting than normal.

We've got the various competitions going on at WR, RB, ILB, CB (most likely), and I'm sure much of the OL and most likely NT and DE, too.

Man. Especially the flashy skill position battles are going to be crazy to monitor in camp and during preseason. Match that up with the WR vs. CB 1-on-1 drills? We'll all be knee-deep in man-crushes by mid-July. I've already developed preliminary bouts of mancrush-itis on Hankerson and Paul.

Lucky ****. I was actually told in high school by my guidance counselor, after taking the ASVAB, that if I wanted to go the military route I had scored high enough to qualify to be some type of pilot. Ironically, I have horrendous eyesight.

SP, there are going to be some GREAT position battles in camp this year. Those tweet updates from training camp are going to be 10x more addicting than normal.

We've got the various competitions going on at WR, RB, ILB, CB (most likely), and I'm sure much of the OL and most likely NT and DE, too.

Man. Especially the flashy skill position battles are going to be crazy to monitor in camp and during preseason. Match that up with the WR vs. CB 1-on-1 drills? We'll all be knee-deep in man-crushes by mid-July. I've already developed preliminary bouts of mancrush-itis on Hankerson and Paul.

Coulda gone NFO (backseater - doesn't need the perfect eyesight)...

Me? My mancrushes are Hankerson, Paul, Kerrigan, and Gomes, with Helu coming awfully close

[/color]SP, there are going to be some GREAT position battles in camp this year. Those tweet updates from training camp are going to be 10x more addicting than normal.

They were already addictive enough, and while i share your enthusiasm for the long overdue rebuild, we should remember what the goal is when growing pains strike this upcoming season. I'm positive you understand this, but many others will scream Superbowl just because we have more than one good WR.

I like the HB and WR competitions, but my Husker fan friend is not fond of Paul at all. I think Niles will be more of a special teams guy for at least his rookie year. I like Gomes the best out of all the Nebraska players. The kid has a nose for the ball and plays smart.

If James Davis or Brandon Banks gets cut, I'm going to be angry.

Didn't know that!

And yeah, I'm sure Kerrigan will get me soon enough. Strangely, I hated the Gomes pick when we made it, but he's grown on me. Very underrated guy, it seems, and I can't wait to see him laying the wood in preseason. He, LL, and Barnes in the defensive backfield someday should make WR's scared.

As for Helu, I really, really had my heart set on Kendall Hunter. And when we traded up to the top of the 4th round, I just knew that's who we were taking. Of course, Helu's name was called instead, and Hunter went not long after to SF. Helu's growing on me, and I'll happily be wrong, but he wasn't a guy I was high on before the draft at all. One big preseason run will probably change that, though. That's just the nature of a fan starved for a competent offense.

---------- Post added June-25th-2011 at 01:47 AM ----------

They were already addictive enough, and while i share your enthusiasm for the long overdue rebuild, we should remember what the goal is when growing pains strike this upcoming season. I'm positive you understand this, but many others will scream Superbowl just because we have more than one good WR.

I like the HB and WR competitions, but my Husker fan friend is not fond of Paul at all. I think Niles will be more of a special teams guy for at least his rookie year.

If James Davis or Brandon Banks gets cut, I'm going to be angry.

I'm with you there. I took quite an interest in Davis when we picked him up mid-season, and he had a couple decent runs in my first live NFL game, @ Giants. A quiet little bright spot on a miserable afternoon, ugh. Also love Banks, though I really could see him getting cut in favor of one of the rookies, if not this year, then next. Not going to bring that into this thread though, as I've gotten into lengthy arguments in other threads about it in the past month or three. Maybe one of the few things we disagree on, though I'll repeat that I love the little guy too as a returner. Pure electricity.

And trust me when I say that I'm on board with the rebuild, even if it means losing almost every week. There's even that little part of me that realizes that painfully hitting rock bottom may be what this team needs, in the form of Luck. Maybe we could rise, reborn, from the ashes then with a franchise QB.

But don't misunderstand me. I'm not in any way, shape, or form on the "Suck for Luck" bandwagon. I will root for us till I can't yell anymore every Sunday, and vent/celebrate on here every week no matter what happens. There's just that small part of me that realizes WHAT rebuilding really entails, and the messy details that people don't like to think about: the actual losing that comes along with it, and the growing pains.

I just hope to see lots of young guys on the field this year. I could watch a 2-14 season, as long as there were young guys, future core Redskins, out there losing while learning on the job. I'd die inside every Sunday, but I'd know it was for the betterment of the future. As long as Snyder wouldn't get all excited and fire Shanahan before his contract's up. Which I couldn't see happening, with the money he's making. But who knows. Either way, I'm actually in the minority that objectively thinks we're going 7-9/8-8 this year, with someone like Grossman at QB.

Oh, and on Paul: If I'm to understand it correctly, he was VERY underutilized in college, but did show lapses in concentration. Of course, a low number of targets every week can do that. Some guys need to get in the rhythm, like Portis used to need to do with carries. We'll see what the competitive fire in him shows off this preseason.

Not really. Because Green Bay invested significant draft resources in the switch the very first year. We didn't, and learned our lesson it seems.

HUH?? I think you missed his point. Since GB was in the top 3 of D's in year one of the 3-4, their success last year, in year two, was not that significant.

The writer made it seem as if GB's 3-4 D was in the bottom half in year one and improved all the way to #2 D last year. That was not that case. Therefore....bad example!!

Good points, except for one thing I have to disagree with.

I think Jarmon is one of the biggest losers in this switch. What a waste of a 3rd round pick. He's a prototypical 4-3 LE. He was tailor-made to take over for Phillip Daniels. Now we've got him losing weight, putting on weight, trying to fit him in somewhere without getting him comfortable anywhere. Not to mention that weight fluctuation and the different weight training, etc. that go along with that are terrible for his healing leg.

I think Jarmon missed out because of the flip flopping of positions. He has a big enough frame that I think he could put on the weight and be an undersized 3-4 DE. Probably not a full time starter but maybe a guy that comes in on third downs as a rusher. Agreed that he's a prototypical 4-3 LE. I was really excited for him in that role and between the injury and the coaches not settling on a position for him its going to be difficult for him to make a career for himself here. He may be best off leaving for a 4-3 team where he could potentially compete for a bigger role.

I really hope Neld can become a solid contributor at NT, that's my position of concern, as well as finding a CB to replace stone hands. Hopefully we sign Ike Taylor at CB and our 3-4 might be pretty good

Nield will definitely get some playing time. As weird as it is to say this, the guy taken next to last in the NFL draft is one of the people most assured of a job.

Archived