Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Lawyer: Dez Bryant still owes money

tr1

http://espn.go.com/espn/print?id=6631036&type=story

By Calvin Watkins

ESPNDallas.com

Despite claims otherwise by Dez Bryant over the weekend, a lawyer said the Dallas Cowboys wide receiver still owes more than $600,000 and that a lawsuit is still pending.

"I have a handle on it and it's done," Bryant told The Associated Press during an appearance Saturday at a department store in Tulsa, Okla. "It's in the past and I'm ready to go ahead from here."

While Bryant may want to put his money woes behind him, he still owes Colleyville jeweler and ticket broker Eleow Hunt a little more than $600,000 for jewelry, tickets and personal loans, attorney Beth Ann Blackwood told ESPN Dallas on Sunday night.

Blackwood said the lawsuit is on hold while Bryant's attorney -- Texas State Senator Royce West -- is in special session in Austin.

The lawsuit states Bryant, who was a sophomore at Oklahoma State when the spending spree began, was supposed to repay Hunt when he signed either an NFL or promotional contract, whichever came first. Bryant and adviser David Wells signed 17 receipts from January 2009 to July 2010, the lawsuit said. The longest wait between purchases was 2½ months.

Bryant is hopeful to settle this lawsuit when the NFL lockout ends, when he's scheduled to receive a $1 million roster bonus.

He settled another lawsuit filed earlier this year for an undisclosed amount. A New York-based jeweler said Bryant owed them $246,000 for purchases.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 05:08 AM ----------

So, basically he's a liar.

So, basically he's a liar.

well damn.........aint this dude just the bottom of the barrel ....loser of a human being. I wonder if the comish will get him for a 4 or 6 game suspension for that....i mean there is just no way in hell the NFL can allow their players to be "liars" now.

Bad enough they punch motorist in the face, Sexually harass women, shoot people (and themselves) ..........and kill dogs...etc, but this......THIS IS IT! The NFL must put a stop to this, Immediately!

well damn.........aint this dude just the bottom of the barrel ....loser of a human being. I wonder if the comish will get him for a 4 or 6 game suspension for that....i mean there is just no way in hell the NFL can allow their players to be "liars" now.

Bad enough they punch motorist in the face, Sexually harass women, shoot people (and themselves) ..........and kill dogs...etc, but this......THIS IS IT! The NFL must put a stop to this, Immediately!

Interesting. The statement that TR1 made seems correct to me. All that stuff you added seems over the top ridiculous and nothing to do with the topic.

Interesting. The statement that TR1 made seems correct to me. All that stuff you added seems over the top ridiculous and nothing to do with the topic.

right........cause Dez is a liar!!! Dam Liar.......Honestly, i dont know why the cowboys have him on the roster, they should just cut him........who wants a liar on their team right?

Spin TRPB, Spin!

haha. Whats to spin? Man i am not going to babysit the millionaire rich...spoiled players in the NFL. they are what they are, but if Dez Bryant continues his career as a NFL WR and all he has on him is "he is a liar" and he still owes people $$$ for jewelry his dumb BLANK purchased, before he even had money.....well then he will be just fine........Thats not to spin it....not in the least.

in comparison .....Brandon Banks gets in a fight and gets shot......late night in a club...yet another deal that i could care less about........But still what is worse here. What would you rather have on your head???

Plax is just getting out of the PEN...for having a hand gun in a night club loaded and shooting himself with it.....

.....What is he really??? a liar?

The report is Dez has agreed to repay the $600,000 as soon as the league year starts back up and he gets his $1M bonus. So while the debt is still outstanding there is an agreement in place for it to be paid. Which sort of makes both statements true.

The report is Dez has agreed to repay the $600,000 as soon as the league year starts back up and he gets his $1M bonus. So while the debt is still outstanding there is an agreement in place for it to be paid. Which sort of makes both statements true.

There was also an agreement between Dez and the jeweler to repay the $600,000 when he signed his contract, or an endorsement deal (whichever came first). Now there's this agreement. There's a pattern starting to develop...

There was also an agreement between Dez and the jeweler to repay the $600,000 when he signed his contract, or an endorsement deal (whichever came first). Now there's this agreement. There's a pattern starting to develop...

if he gets his $1M bonus and still doesn't pay off the $600,000 there certainly is.

if he gets his $1M bonus and still doesn't pay off the $600,000 there certainly is.

Actually, the trend of accepting a product and not paying in a timely fashion, and waiting until you are sued before paying has already developed. Ignoring payment after being sued would be new trend. Any way you look at it, it isn't over as Dez would have you believe, at least until he decides to man up and write that check, or it gets garnished from his paycheck. I am hoping for the latter but I doubt that will happen.

...in comparison .....Brandon Banks gets in a fight and gets shot......late night in a club...yet another deal that i could care less about........But still what is worse here. What would you rather have on your head???

Plax is just getting out of the PEN...for having a hand gun in a night club loaded and shooting himself with it.....

.....What is he really??? a liar?

Fact check:

Banks was not shot.

Side note:

The only one making these comparisons is you. Keep spinning. You are on a roll. :rotflmao:

Sure why not? Which is worse? Being unarmed and getting in a fight and getting stabbed by someone or intentionally stealing over 1/2 million dollars worth of product. Dez did not go back to the jeweler and ask for a payment plan or anything. He waited for the jeweler to sue him before making any effort whatsoever to make good on his contractual obligation. Dez is more than a liar, he is a thief. At least that is how I see it.

Actually, the trend of accepting a product and not paying in a timely fashion, and waiting until you are sued before paying has already developed. Ignoring payment after being sued would be new trend. Any way you look at it, it isn't over as Dez would have you believe, at least until he decides to man up and write that check, or it gets garnished from his paycheck. I am hoping for the latter but I doubt that will happen.

Fact check:

Banks was not shot.

Side note:

The only one making these comparisons is you. Keep spinning. You are on a roll. :rotflmao:

sorry Stabbed.....my bad!

and wow...i am not spinning a dag on thing. This doesn't bother me in the least, nor should it....Show up and play ball......Now if this continues and he is spending more then his checks pay him (5 years from now) then obviously he is an idiot and things will never change, but until then....I do not really care about this in the least....and this effects his on-the-field football life about 0%

I made light of the fact that this proves nothing more then as TR1 himself put it "He is a liar".......

Do you think he should be disciplined by the League? Should the team Cut him?

What would be your reaction? As a fan of the Skins and this happened to one of the skins rookies (1st rd picks) that has the ability and talent of Bryant, and before his injury, pout up the #'s that he did........put yourself in those shoes and tell me please

What would you say or do??? (as a fan)

And what is your take on Banks (since i made the comparison......do you care about it, think it was a bad issue? Should he be disciplined and/or cut?

What about Haynsworth.......After his pay off of the man he hit and his potential law suite with the lady he sexually harassed........what say you?

And what is your take on Banks (since i made the comparison......do you care about it, think it was a bad issue? Should he be disciplined and/or cut?

What about Haynsworth.......After his pay off of the man he hit and his potential law suite with the lady he sexually harassed........what say you?

As far as Banks goes: Being stabbed by someone isn't committing a crime.

What about Haynesworth: You can have him. You've been on this board long enough to know how we feel about him. The way you may soon feel about Dez if he keeps it up.

and wow...i am not spinning a dag on thing. This doesn't bother me in the least, nor should it....Show up and play ball......Now if this continues and he is spending more then his checks pay him (5 years from now) then obviously he is an idiot and things will never change, but until then....I do not really care about this in the least....and this effects his on-the-field football life about 0%

I made light of the fact that this proves nothing more then as TR1 himself put it "He is a liar".......

What would be your reaction? As a fan of the Skins and this happened to one of the skins rookies (1st rd picks) that has the ability and talent of Bryant, and before his injury, pout up the #'s that he did........put yourself in those shoes and tell me please

I do care about off the field issues. I have kids and they watch sports. Like it or not, kids do look up to these athletes no matter what you instill in them.

Dez is an idiot, liar, and a thief. Holding onto a product and payment for said product is illegal. Sugar coat any way you want but it is a crime.

You asked so here it goes:

Banks is guilty of being an idiot by getting in a fight at a club. He was unarmed and got stabbed during the fight. I think his "crime" is the least bad.

Plax and Dez are in the same booat in my opinion. Pax thought he was above the law because he plays football. He let his car's insurance and registration lapse, carried an unlicensed gun into an area that he knew carried a mandatory sentence if he was caught. He then shot himself on accident. I am just glad he was the one that got hurt and not someone else. Dez is a liar and a thief that thinks that he can ignore his contractual obligations because he plays football. I am rich and famous, you can't touch me mentallity. Plax is a bigger idiot though.

Haynesworth is the worst by far. No need for details.

haha. Whats to spin?

Great question. Yet you're bringing up things that have nothing to do with the thread.

Fact: Dez Bryant said his debt is "done"

Fact: Dez Bryant lied and still has to pay his debt.

Fact: That would qualify as a lie.

There is zero need to bring other things up in this conversation. This is purely about the fact that Bryant lied. No one said anything about it being the harshest thing someone could do. No one said it was worse than Vick or Burress or Stallworth or whoever. You brought all of that up. That's called spinning...

"Well, yes... He lied, but, uhh, at least he didn't murder anyone!"

Response: "No one said he did. We just said he's a liar".

You: "Well, but, uhh... BRANDON BANKS WAS SHOT!"

Response: "No he wasn't... And what does that have to do with Dez Bryant being a liar?"

I do care about off the field issues. I have kids and they watch sports. Like it or not, kids do look up to these athletes no matter what you instill in them.

Dez is an idiot, liar, and a thief. Holding onto a product and payment for said product is illegal. Sugar coat any way you want but it is a crime.

Banks is guilty of being an idiot by getting in a fight at a club. He was unarmed and got stabbed during the fight. I think his "crime" is the least bad.

Plax and Dez are in the same booat in my opinion. Pax thought he was above the law because he plays football. He let his car's insurance and registration lapse, carried an unlicensed gun into an area that he knew carried a mandatory sentence if he was caught. He then shot himself on accident. I am just glad he was the one that got hurt and not someone else. Dez is a liar and a thief that thinks that he can ignore his contractual obligations because he plays football. I am rich and famous, you can't touch me mentallity. Plax is a bigger idiot though.

fair enough and certainly entitled to your opinions.

fair enough and certainly entitled to your opinions.

Two things: Dez being a liar has NOTHING to do with any Skins player...past or present...and, I didn't suggest any disciplinary action by the league.

I just said he's a liar.

Which he seems to be.

sorry Stabbed.....my bad!

As a fan there is nothing you can do but it has to cause some concern. The Cowboys have not been a great place for players to rehabilitate themselves recently (see Adam "don't call me Pacman" Jones or Tank Johnson). It seems like Jerrah tries but for whatever reason he seems more of an enabler than a fixer. But Bryant's pattern of behavior is a huge red flag IMO. If this was his only transgression then I would say it's no big deal but he's got so many other things that you can't just ignore them.

I'm not sure what your point is about Haynesworth since he's pretty much personna non grata around here.

As for Banks I don't see that that is such a big deal since he's not the guy that started the fight and he's not the guy who had the knife.

I have kids as well. My son is 13 years old and loves to watch the NFL, NBA and NHL. He looks up to these guys for their ATHLETIC ABILITY and in some cases their willingness to compete and their work ethic. I make sure to deride players like Plax and Dez and Stallworth for their off field issues. He realizes that talent can be wasted and the importance of hard work. I am trying to get him to realize that sports is great to watch but these guys are NOT role models - at least not when it comes to what they do when the cameras are off. A lot of them are spoiled prima donnas who have been allowed to skate on their talent for their adolescent/adult lives. I wish that Dez was more responsible and culpable for his decisions. I hope that he grows up. But I don't expect these guys to behave the way that we do. I wish that they would, but there has always been a large segment of professional athletes that just don't get it. It's unfortunate, but for the most part I agree with Charles Barkley.

that's his shtick, take a valid argument made by other posters and build these completely outrageous strawmen to make himself feel better. it really only makes him look petty and childish.

---------- Post added June-8th-2011 at 12:53 PM ----------

Spin TRPB, Spin!

:dance:

I have kids as well. My son is 13 years old and loves to watch the NFL, NBA and NHL. He looks up to these guys for their ATHLETIC ABILITY and in some cases their willingness to compete and their work ethic. I make sure to deride players like Plax and Dez and Stallworth for their off field issues. He realizes that talent can be wasted and the importance of hard work. I am trying to get him to realize that sports is great to watch but these guys are NOT role models - at least not when it comes to what they do when the cameras are off. A lot of them are spoiled prima donnas who have been allowed to skate on their talent for their adolescent/adult lives. I wish that Dez was more responsible and culpable for his decisions. I hope that he grows up. But I don't expect these guys to behave the way that we do. I wish that they would, but there has always been a large segment of professional athletes that just don't get it. It's unfortunate, but for the most part I agree with Charles Barkley.

+1

my son is a freshman in HS this year, and has been a die hard Dallas fan right along with me since he was about 5.

All the traveling we have done back n forth to Texas to see family and to watch the game,s He is a bona-fide Dallas Fan for life.

He too looks up to the players for their athletic ability....etc. But not as people he needs to model his life after...not in the least.

Thats my job as a parent anyway....to make sure he knows the difference.

When Dallas Signed TO, his first reaction was "buy me a #81 jersey please??? my answer was ...absolutely NOT. Not gonan happen EVER...and he understood after an explaination. Not saying he wasnt dissapomuited because he was. But i did nt support the move to sign him, and i damn sure wasnt gonna put my money into that cause.....

I refuse to let my son Idolize these players for anything more then what they are......and that is players. HOWEVER, those that do do good Work outside of on-the-field.....I allow him to recognize that.

For instance my fav player, Roy Williams 31/38......and all his charity causes and his pros in Africa trips....etc.......Now HE IS A MAN that i have absolutely allowed my son to look up to, and not once for on-the-field accomplishments.

Demarcus Ware is another along with Jason Witten......

Shanwe Merriman, Madue Williams.....Chris Cooley...to name a few others that have great off the field causes that I am respectful of......

anyway.....thats off the topic of it.........and just a side note and a total agreement of your statement.....

.FYI: Dont have a Dez Bryant Jersey.....and at this rate we never will! I dont support his act of the field...I dont think its too bad really, but certainly its not anything i support! I do cheer for him and his on-the-field performance..........as long as he keeps it legal and triesd to imporve his life...then whatever, go out there and catch 85 balls for 1200 yds and 15 TD's.....Im good with that!

Two things: Dez being a liar has NOTHING to do with any Skins player...past or present...and, I didn't suggest any disciplinary action by the league.

I just said he's a liar.

Which he seems to be.

and RGSB's response to all these facts:

Towelie.jpg

I just said he's a liar.

Which he seems to be.

why are you quoting me, giving another member a nod for his opinion.......and bringing up whether or not its relevant to compare the two teams players and their behaviors.....quote me talking to you about it.....your a weirdo......

why are you quoting me, giving another member a nod for his opinion.......and bringing up whether or not its relevant to compare the two teams players and their behaviors.....quote me talking to you about it.....your a weirdo......

Towelie.jpg

EDIT: i mean if this isn't a perfect example i dunno what is

This is pretty spot on. My youngest is 7 and obsessed with the NBA. He changes his favorite player every 15 minutes. I have tried to steer him a little bit and explain why I don't like certain players (Kobe, Lebron) but there's only so much you can do. As for Bryant, if he was on my team I'd be more concerned with the things that happen on the sidelines and in the lockerroom and the potential to create problems down the line. Things like the refusal to carry pads or sideline rants can have long term implications in a team concept. As for not paying back loans or getting into it with security guards, as a fan I would only worry in so much that he might miss time with problems with the law.

And if anyone thinks this is just Skins fans making a big deal about a Cowboy, you don't remember the hubbub that was caused when Sean Taylor skipped out on the rookie symposium.

This is pretty spot on. My youngest is 7 and obsessed with the NBA. He changes his favorite player every 15 minutes. I have tried to steer him a little bit and explain why I don't like certain players (Kobe, Lebron) but there's only so much you can do. As for Bryant, if he was on my team I'd be more concerned with the things that happen on the sidelines and in the lockerroom and the potential to create problems down the line. Things like the refusal to carry pads or sideline rants can have long term implications in a team concept. As for not paying back loans or getting into it with security guards, as a fan I would only worry in so much that he might miss time with problems with the law.

And if anyone thinks this is just Skins fans making a big deal about a Cowboy, you don't remember the hubbub that was caused when Sean Taylor skipped out on the rookie symposium.

Sean Taylor RIP......much respect for him as the man he was growing into and the player when was starting to become, but...lets not forget all that he went through as well as a youngin....he gives me hope for Dez. He started to change his ways after a few years of immature behavior.......So, as bad as it is ...and seems to be.....with Dez, we cant just bury him and leave no hope........for him to change and/or grow up. There is hope and an example for him to follow. Just sayin!

Archived