Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 French Open

DM72

16 grand slams vs 9.. I love you keep changing the argument. He was never owned on his own surface.

Nadal is 5-2 in grandslam finals against Federer. I like Federer, but it is what it is.

again those numbers are skewed because of clay. We all know Nadal is the best ever on clay

Nadal DID beat him at Wimbledon (Federer's surface) and at the Australian Open. So what, he beat him 3 times (soon to be 4) in the finals at the French.

i forget what roger did from 2003-2007 i guess

Look, Roger right now might be the greatest ever because he's won the most grandslams, but Nadal has owned him in head to head matches and Nadal IS the best NOW.

i am not arguing that silly! :)

The first page of this thread, you said, "Federer is STILL the best there is. He's getting older, but he STILL is the heavyweight champ of the sport."

The first page of this thread, you said, "Federer is STILL the best there is."

I guess i should clarify, you know like Tim Duncan is the best PF there is, but he isn't winning as much anymore like he used too

---------- Post added June-5th-2011 at 01:08 PM ----------

Just because a player has the most grand slams doesn't mean he's the best ever. Most people who really know tennis would say that Rod Laver is the best tennis player ever, over Sampras and Federer.

Tell Tiger woods and the entire golf community then

Just because a player has the most grand slams doesn't mean he's the best ever. Most people who really know tennis would say that Rod Laver is the best tennis player ever, over Sampras and Federer.

Don't you have to go by grandslams won? Sampress was great, but the only thing that takes him out of the equation is his record at the French Open.

Don't you have to go by grandslams won? Sampress was great, but the only thing that takes him out of the equation is his record at the French Open.

Well Rod won 11 Grand Slams and 8 Pro Slam Tournaments before there were Grand Slams in the Open Era. If you want to count those that would give him 19 major tournament victories, which would make him the greatest ever.

Well Rod won 11 Grand Slams and 8 Pro Slam Tournaments before there were Grand Slams in the Open Era. If you want to count those that would give him 19 major tournament victories, which would make him the greatest ever.

Oh, Laver is definitely in the discussion. Right now, it's between him and Federer. In a few years, Nadal will enter the discussion. Again, Sampress' French Open record disqualifies him IMO.

I love them both and I think Laver and Fed are a push. Hard to discuss the different eras and technology and depth of the draw and everything.

That said, there is no reason to believe that Nadal can't win two a year for the next three years and quickly tie Fed at 16. And Nadal is the only one in the goat conversation who spent a majority of his career playing against another player in the goat conversation. IMagine if he finishes with 17 or 18 majors and a third of them were against someone considered as the goat. That means something right there.

Archived