Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Interview tomorrow! Need some help/advice!

gortiz

I got a killer letter of recommendation from the person that had the position before me. Do I use it? if so, when do i give it to them? (the person left on good times and was a bit out spoken, but respected)

I have a bunch of relevant questions, is there a limit on how many I should ask? Would that get annoying?

This is for an internal position and the panel will be people I know and work with, should I treat them like strangers as if I was off the street?

Is it ever okay to ask general questions about other candidates that have interviewed??

Need more information. Why is your post so cryptic? Do you work there now in another role? How do you know these people? What type of position?

You NEVER treat people you know like strangers in a job interview. You act normal.

Need more information. Why is your post so cryptic? Do you work there now in another role? How do you know these people? What type of position?

You NEVER treat people you know like strangers in a job interview. You act normal.

:ols: didn't mean to be cryptic. Yep, work there already. I am sure the people in the panel will be coworkers that I have worked with in some capacity. The position would be a promotion. Its in transportation planning.

Yeah, stranger was too strong of a word, just don't know if I should reference projects we worked on, etc etc.

I got a killer letter of recommendation from the person that had the position before me. Do I use it? if so, when do i give it to them? (the person left on good times and was a bit out spoken, but respected)

I have a bunch of relevant questions, is there a limit on how many I should ask? Would that get annoying?

This is for an internal position and the panel will be people I know and work with, should I treat them like strangers as if I was off the street?

Is it ever okay to ask general questions about other candidates that have interviewed??

here are some notes to help:

1.) look sharp

2.) have a pen and folder with you

3.) show up at least 5 minutes early

4.) have resumes/evaluations/recommendations with you (at least 1 copy for everyone that will be there-your email better not say skinsfan28, make it professional

5.) maintain eye focus and confidence.

6.) be honest

7.) i would not ask about other candidates being interviewed.

8.) if you know them somewhat, it can be a little more relaxed, but try to keep it professional unless the flow is directed otherwise by them

9.) clear your facebook of ?able things if you havent already.

10.) do background research on the company, perferably something related to what you might be doing. show an interest in it.

11.) there will most likely be a good time to bring out the write up from your friend

e.g. they ask you, what are you most important qualities as a worker? you say, "i try to be a diligent and on time, then you say, "here is what former employee ____ says about me"

12.) if they for some reason pull a negative out, spin it into a positive (this requires some good bsing and)- a better option would be to expect what they might see as a negative and be prepared

13.) no need to volunteer negative qualities

14.) if you are asked what you would work for, dont sell yourself too short.

-this question suprised me at my latest interview, i told them 100k my first year outta school because i was in a specialized, dangerous field that required me to be away from my family, and i treasure my family) - i got the job offer at that amount;)

15.) in my opinion (especially if salary is brought up) it is ok to ask about benefits

16.) good luck, remember, you are selling yourself, and if you are good for the job, you should portray that and be confident in that. the rest will take care of itself.

Definitely give that letter of recommendation to them. Make copies for each person on your panel (on NICE PAPER) and give that to them at the end of the interview. I've only ever held one job where I had to fight for the job because the hiring team didn't know me from Adam and I made a portfolio of my cover letter, resume, and pertinent, job-related projects I had collaborated on for each of the members of the hiring panel. I gave a portfolio (I'd already filled one out online, but wanted each of them to have a pretty hardcopy too) to each member of the panel at the end of my interview.

If you've worked on a particular project with a panel member, it isn't unreasonable to refer to that during the interview should it pertain to a particular question.

Don't ask about other candidates!!!!!! Sell your awesomeness, don't worry about those other ****-ups :D

Feel free to ask other questions though. Use your judgement regarding how your questions will be interpreted by panel member. Like, will this question make me appear not interested? Will it make me appear interested for the wrong reasons? Does this question reveal insecurities about my abilities? Does this question make me sound hesitant about certain aspects of the job? etc.

Great advice already given so far. I'd add the following:

You're an internal candidate, play that up, i.e. you already understand the organizational culture, are aware of existing projects, etc. Most importantly, you should have some ideas for things that could be improved-shows you're actually thinking, not just showing up and going through the motions.

Be prepared for the stock questions that trip up those that haven't prepared well. The most common one in this category is "What are your weaknesses?" Be prepared with repackaged strengths, e.g. "I can be too task oriented at times" or "I can be too detail oriented" etc. "I'm late on Mondays a lot because I spend my weekends getting high with midget hookers“= FAIL

Know your own resume. People often forget things from their own resumes. Sometimes it's nerves, but interviewers may think it's because you've added fluff to your resume. Everybody does of course, you just have to be smart enough to know the fluff you've added. :)

Try to connect with them and talk to them like people...without coming across as brown nosing. Remember, you're halfway there as an internal candidate. Outside applicants will usually need to outshine you in both qualifications and the interview to beat you.

Good luck!

Whatever you do, DON'T whip your junk out and slap it on the desk. I hear that's frowned upon.

And it can be quite embarrassing in a chilly room, especially if you're a little nervous.

---------- Post added May-4th-2011 at 09:13 AM ----------

**** an A dude, I was ready to run through a brick wall after reading that. Great, great, advice. Thx

Sorry, thought of this....

vAy87BGF8qw

Archived