Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Public Service Announcement: Andrew Luck is a Redshirt JUNIOR in 2011-2012

KDawg

I think the argument is that the Steelers have a top defense because they can afford to pay players. The Colts start out every year with 25% of the cap going to 1 guy (Manning).

Ben is making 11 million in 2011 with a 15 million dollar cap hit. But that's 2011. In 2010 Ben made 8 million with a 12 million dollar cap hit. In 2010 Peyton made 15 million. Now 15 million is a lot of money, it obviously isn't 25% of the cap but you were exaggerating a little bit but it still is a fair amount. Manning is a much better QB than Roethlisberger and is paid accordingly. Now, can you still build a great defense with 15 million being tied up into one player? Absolutely. I mean Peppers made 20 million last season for crying out loud, Sanchez made upwards of 16.

It's not impossible.

Ben is making 11 million in 2011 with a 15 million dollar cap hit. But that's 2011. In 2010 Ben made 8 million with a 12 million dollar cap hit. In 2010 Peyton made 15 million. Now 15 million is a lot of money, it obviously isn't 25% of the cap but you were exaggerating a little bit but it still is a fair amount. Manning is a much better QB than Roethlisberger and is paid accordingly. Now, can you still build a great defense with 15 million being tied up into one player? Absolutely. I mean Peppers made 20 million last season for crying out loud, Sanchez made upwards of 16.

It's not impossible.

Draft picks cost very little money, particularly when you're picking near the bottom of every round year in and year out. Perhaps if Polian drafted better, didn't spend so many first round picks on running backs but rather properly drafted defense, the Colts wouldn't be in the downwards position they're in. Who knows, maybe they would've won some more championships. Most overrated GM in the NFL.

Why did he draft Donald Brown with the first round pick in 2009? In 2008, didn't have a selection until the 59th pick; didn't pick defense until the 93rd pick (and next defender was at 161). In 2007, spent the 1st rounder on a wide receiver; didn't draft defense until the 95th pick. In 2006, Polian picked running back Joseph Addai in the first round; didn't draft defense until the 62nd pick. Polian hasn't had a good draft in at least half a decade -- his best pick was Pierre Garcon in the 6th round in 2008, followed probably by Austin Collie in the 4th round in 2009. Players that Peyton Manning undoubtedly made better.

The Patriots had 22 undrafted players on their roster last year. Brady is earning close to the amount that Manning is. Belichick knows how to draft well, knows how to build a team of good value and knows how to distribute the wealth throughout the roster. Without Brady, the Patriots are still a playoff team (see: Cassel, 11 wins). Without Manning, the Colts might be a 3 win team. Maybe.

It's why Bill Polian will never win another ring for the rest of his career.

/threadjack over. apologies

It seems to be a reoccuring theme in nearly every QB thread.

"We're going after Luck. We'll stink this year and we'll land Luck!"

I'd love to get Luck without trading the farm. As would anyone.

However, let's keep in mind, that although Luck is an academic senior, he's also a redshirt junior when it comes to football eligibility.

And just so I can prove it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Granted, all signs, including this paragraph, point to the fact that he WILL declare. But it's not a guarantee. He doesn't have to declare at all.

So can we skip all the crazy conspiracy theories that we're going to tank this year to get him? We'd have some real egg on our faces if we did and he decided he didn't want to declare.

And I don't think Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are that dumb.

Your post is right on.

Archived