Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Public Service Announcement: Andrew Luck is a Redshirt JUNIOR in 2011-2012

KDawg

It seems to be a reoccuring theme in nearly every QB thread.

"We're going after Luck. We'll stink this year and we'll land Luck!"

I'd love to get Luck without trading the farm. As would anyone.

However, let's keep in mind, that although Luck is an academic senior, he's also a redshirt junior when it comes to football eligibility.

And just so I can prove it:

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=5995754

Stanford quarterback Andrew Luck, the odds-on favorite to be the No. 1 pick in this spring's NFL draft, announced Thursday he will stay in school and play his redshirt junior season.

"I am committed to earning my degree in architectural design from Stanford University and am on track to accomplish this at the completion of the spring quarter of 2012," Luck said in a statement.

The school announced Luck wouldn't be made available for comment.

Granted, all signs, including this paragraph, point to the fact that he WILL declare. But it's not a guarantee. He doesn't have to declare at all.

So can we skip all the crazy conspiracy theories that we're going to tank this year to get him? We'd have some real egg on our faces if we did and he decided he didn't want to declare.

And I don't think Bruce Allen and Mike Shanahan are that dumb.

For practical reasons can one really expect AL to forgo being the #1 pick in the NFL draft (as it appears right now) 2 years in a row especially given his reason for not declaring this year ?? I can't

For practical reasons, can one really write off the possibility that he would?

At the expense of tanking an entire season and NOT land the best QB prospect on the planet? What would we do then? Tank again in order to get Luck?\

PS: Whoever one starred this thread, you suck :ols:

Is it worth a Ditka/Rickey Willaims move to get him if we draft' date=' say 10th to 15th in the first round. If Luck has an amazing senior year do we throw the farm to move up and get him?[/quote']

That's a tricky question.

But I think Shanahan and Bruce have at LEAST a strategy involving Luck. It may not work, and it may not be the best, but they have to have some kind of gameplan here. My thought process is we stocked up on players this year in the draft because they want to be able to throw the farm at someone for his draft rights if they choose to do so.

I don't think they definitely want to do that. But I think they're at least thinking ahead that it could be something that they MAY want to do.

There is no guarantee he plays well this year and stays the consensus number one pick. Look at Jake Locker. Consensus number on pick for the 2010 draft. Returns to school and sucks. Still gets taken in the top ten but not number one.

i thought the reason he stayed was to graduate and if its last academic year then he will graduate and so he would done what he wanted to do and therefore has no reason to stay another year.

Read the OP please. You clearly didn't.

There is no guarantee he plays well this year and stays the consensus number one pick. Look at Jake Locker. Consensus number on pick for the 2010 draft. Returns to school and sucks. Still gets taken in the top ten but not number one.

Well, I do agree to an extent.

But he's got everything you want in a QB. Reasonably athletic, smart, makes good decisions, accuracy and an arm. Great work ethic as well.

Even if he has a bad year this year, it would have to be attrocious. That said, it could happen. I doubt it, but you're correct.

There are plenty of other options at QB this coming year. The draft that just happened pales in comparison to this coming draft in terms of franchise quality QBs - I read somewhere that there would be 8 quality franchise guys.

Why bother selling the farm for the next Peyton Manning when we could grab a Philip Rivers or Aaron Rodgers and strengthen the O Line?

I'm sick of hearing so much about Luck. I know he's really good and projects to be a solid, if not, great NFL starter, but there are no guarantees.

Many teams win without guys like that. Think of Payton Manning. As great as he is (and I would argue that Luck would consider it a huge success to be as successful as Manning in the pros) he has won only one SB. ONE!! That is one SB despite overwhelmingly great numbers throughout his time in Indianapolis.

So what, you might ask. My point is that Luck may come into the league, be a complete stud, and still not deliver on his promise from a SB standpoint. To tank a season or to give up an entire drafts worth of picks to get a guy like that attributes way too much value to the QB position at the expense of all of the other rebuilding needs the Redskins have.

Honestly, if Luck were a 9 on a scale of 1-10, I'd much rather keep all of our draft picks and continue to try and win this year and instead draft a 7/10 QB while still being able to add other critical peices that any QB would need to be successful (such as OL help).

Just my :2cents:

So whats the point? You think that because he would have another season of eligibility that he may come back and play another year? And not get paid? Are you saying that we shouldnt even talk about getting him because he may play at Stanford for 2012 -13? After he has graduated? Really?

anyone who says we are going to tank to get luck is an idiot.

anyone who believes Luck will not declare after this season is equally an idiot.

if Luck does not declare after this year, he is such an idiot that not even a Stanford education could save him.

someone is going to be made an idiot out of this whole process. don't let it be you.

So whats the point? You think that because he would have another season of eligibility that he may come back and play another year? And not get paid? Are you saying that we shouldnt even talk about getting him because he may play at Stanford for 2012 -13? After he has graduated? Really?

My point, quite simply, is that the team would be stupid if we were purposely tanking the season to draft a guy that may not even come out.

I thought it was obvious. And yes, really.

And yes, he may go back and play another year. Or he may not. I've admitted to as much. But you put all of your chips on red and black shows up, what the heck do you do then?

Too many people are going all in on this Luck thing, and its NOT a guarantee he comes out next year.

And SHF, I don't agree. I think better than a 3-4 win team. At the very least, we should be finishing the same as last year.

anyone who says we are going to tank to get luck is an idiot.

anyone who believes Luck will not declare after this season is equally an idiot.

if Luck does not declare after this year, he is such an idiot that not even a Stanford education could save him.

someone is going to be made an idiot out of this whole process. don't let it be you.

Cute.

I never said he wouldn't leave.

I swear most of this board has reading comprehension issues.

I said its not a guarantee. Any time someone has eligibility left, its NOT a guarantee. Plan for both situations. Period.

There are plenty of other options at QB this coming year. The draft that just happened pales in comparison to this coming draft in terms of franchise quality QBs - I read somewhere that there would be 8 quality franchise guys.

Why bother selling the farm for the next Peyton Manning when we could grab a Philip Rivers or Aaron Rodgers and strengthen the O Line?

Hitman,

You did a much better job of saying what I just tried to say in my post with 1/2 of the text. :ols:

Thanks ... and I 100% agree with you.

This is like saying you're not sure someone will get out of his car once arriving at his destination because he still has gas left in the tank.

No it's not.

Good effort. Having gas in the tank and playing your last year of eligibility are not the same. It's unprecedented, and if you actually read the OP you'd see that I, the OP, even said that all signs point to him coming out.

But it's not a guarantee.

This is hilarious reading through the replies. :ols:

Cute.

I never said he wouldn't commit.

I swear most of this board have reading comprehension issues.

I said its not a guarantee. Any time someone has eligibility left, its NOT a guarantee. Plan for both situations. Period.

i wasn't saying anything directed at you. you pointed out the fact he could come back and play at stanford again and that's fine. you didn't say he would. see i don't need any reading lessons.

i was speaking to the rest of the board with their 9/11 like conspiracy theories.

thanks for comprehending.

i wasn't saying anything directed at you. you pointed out the fact he could come back and play at stanford again and that's fine. you didn't say he would. see i don't need any reading lessons.

i was speaking to the rest of the board with their 9/11 like conspiracy theories.

thanks for comprehending.

Here's the issue. When you make a post like that, without using a quote, it comes across as if its to the OP.

But, to your other point, you're right. You never did mention me. And for that I apologize for assuming so. But as you can see, there have been people in this thread attacking me for saying he's a junior and has a chance of coming back, so I assumed you were coming at me. My apologies.

Don't get all defensive, nothing is a gaurantee. Just like the driver could decide he wants to do donuts in the parking lot for ****s and giggles. You brought it up to combat the equally insane theory of us tanking the season (fighting fire with fire?) so expect to be lambasted.

Archived