Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Public Service Announcement: Andrew Luck is a Redshirt JUNIOR in 2011-2012

KDawg

The only reason he returned to school was to finish up his education, I believe that was clearly stated by him or sources close to him. He will graduate next year and that will be that, he will enter the draft. He isn't starving for money, his parents have some cash and he's studying to be an architect. I can't see him returning to school for another year after he finishes his education, but stranger things have happened.

lol I love you Kdawg but you are getting defensive over nothing. I told you in my first post that there is no reason to get so defensive and just pointed out that it is highly unlikely that your scenario will happen...and yes we know its possible. I was just having fun with your post no vitriol intended. I meant that your point of him staying another year would be lambasted because it is highly unlikely not you personally. I think we all agree that it is a possibility but we can all also agree that it is highly unlikely so it's a moot point really.

:cheers:

all i wanna see is Kdawg say read the OP again

Read the OP. And it's KDawg to you, sir :ols:

I think people just jokingly say that we should tank the season to get Luck. I'm not sure anybody is really serious about doing so because everybody wants to see us win. I also think that we will see improvement from the team next year, but I don't think it will necessarily translate to wins. It's highly likely we end up with a top 10 pick again next year and considering we're going younger a higher one than we had this draft. So when it comes to trading up to get Luck, I don't think we'll have to give up the whole draft to get him if that's the direction we decide to go.

I think people just jokingly say that we should tank the season to get Luck. I'm not sure anybody is really serious about doing so because everybody wants to see us win. I also think that we will see improvement from the team next year, but I don't think it will necessarily translate to wins. It's highly likely we end up with a top 10 pick again next year and considering we're going younger a higher one than we had this draft. So when it comes to trading up to get Luck, I don't think we'll have to give up the whole draft to get him if that's the direction we decide to go.

I am not joking. I am seriously in the group, and probably leader of the group that says "go 1-15, draft Andrew Luck and watch us win multiple Superbowls after he arrives"

I thought I was really in the tank for Sam Bradford in January 2010. Nothing like my man crush on Andrew Luck.

According to that mock anyway, Barkley will have a shot at unseating Luck as the no.1 depending on how the season goes and how Luck reacts to lesser talent around him.

Suffice to say if the Skins are 4 or less wins bad, we will get one of those guys. My question is what if we are picking 10-15 again? Who is the next tier of passers and are they better than this years crop?

If we end up in the 10-15 range or surprise everyone with a pretty good season and end up drafting even lower - maybe in the 20's. I fully expect Allen and Shanahan to move up for one of the best QB's on their big board. Would they pull a Ditka - probably not. And they may feel that moving up to get Luck would be too much. But I see them moving up for Barkley, or the Landry Jones kid from Oklahoma before settling for a 2nd tier QB.

Come on SHF, have a little faith. I think there is a ZERO possibility we don't at LEAST win as many games as last year. The 3-4 started looking vastly improved the last few games of the season, and with a few new pieces through the draft, plus one more full offseason to get more comfortable in the new schemes, I think we're looking at an 8-8 season and with a few lucky breaks, perhaps even wildcard bound.

If we only win 3-4 games this year, you have to seriously consider firing the front office and coaching staff. Depends on how it happens though.

There is no guarantee he plays well this year and stays the consensus number one pick. Look at Jake Locker. Consensus number on pick for the 2010 draft. Returns to school and sucks. Still gets taken in the top ten but not number one.

Locker was not going to go #1

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2011/04/27/espn-still-pushing-jake-locker-as-2010-first-overall-pick/

But to the extent that we can determine where Locker would have gone in the 2010 NFL draft, it’s extremely unlikely that any NFL team would have graded Locker higher than Bradford. As I wrote late in 2009, when Locker announced he would return to Washington in 2010, Locker was nowhere near as good a college quarterback as Bradford. To say that Bradford benefited from Locker’s decision is unfair to Bradford, who was drafted first overall because the Rams rightly saw him as a future star, not because he was the Rams’ second choice behind Locker.

In fact, not only would Locker not have been a likely No. 1 overall pick in 2010, he might not have even been a first-round pick. As we reported at the end of the 2009 season, the NFL’s draft advisory board didn’t even give Locker a first-round grade when he inquired about where he might have gone in the 2010 draft.

I am not joking. I am seriously in the group, and probably leader of the group that says "go 1-15, draft Andrew Luck and watch us win multiple Superbowls after he arrives"

I thought I was really in the tank for Sam Bradford in January 2010. Nothing like my man crush on Andrew Luck.

NO WAY. IM THE LEADER.

jk, I'm with you dude. Definitely tank the year.

I actually don't think the Skins will need to try to tank. I see us as a 3-5 win football team right now, at best. Just good enough to be part of the conversation for Andrew Luck next year.

This is professional football, the only circles considering tanking anything for the sake of a draft pick at the start of a football season exist only on Extremeskins.

The fact that you created a thread to point out this guy may go back to Stanford to get his Masters degree and play an additional year of football is as ridiculous as prediciting a master plan exists to lose games this year to get Luck.

This draft is a few days old and we are already talking about next year???

I see us as a 3-5 win football team right now, at best. Just good enough to be part of the conversation for Andrew Luck next year.

I think we have a pretty weak schedule though. Shanahan's going to try to win too, of course. I wish he'd just cut everybody over 30 and start all the rookies and udfa we get and see how many decent players we end up with. Fans would probably be a lot more excited about watching that then what we've seen the past several years.

For the life of me, I don't see how any Redskin fan can hope we tank the season. Is Luck that good? Yes. Maybe he breaks his leg late in the year, Then What? You never know what may happen down the road. What I hope for is this team finally shows some pride, and goes out and plays as a team! I'm liking the direction this team is headed in, It's a breath of fresh air.

So the point of this thread is to inform. Hmm.. novel concept :)

Tanking the season is a juvenile concept to begin with. This is professional sport. The players are paid millions. The coaches are constantly on the hot seat. No team would ever tank a season. Ever. For anyone. It is dumb to even think that's possible. If we do poorly because we suck, that's one thing. But for Shanny to gather everyone in a room before game one and say, "Hey rookies. Veterans. Coaches. Listen up. We really like this college prospect so we're going to lose every game this year. Go out and play to lose, gang!" Just a stupid, stupid idea.

For the life of me, I don't see how any Redskin fan can hope we tank the season. Is Luck that good? Yes. Maybe he breaks his leg late in the year, Then What? You never know what may happen down the road. What I hope for is this team finally shows some pride, and goes out and plays as a team! I'm liking the direction this team is headed in, It's a breath of fresh air.

It's better than the alternative: years of mediocrity with a few 8-10 win seasons thrown in just to keep the seats warm in the stadium.

At least if the Skins have one atrocious year it will amount to something of value, not just more broken dreams and empty trophy cases.

were not gonna tank the season, but if we do have the worst record, I won't mind. I mean what is another year of being bad, if ur getting a peyton manning like QB prospect.

Because Manning only has one Super Bowl ring in his 13 years and only two trips. Meanwhile, Roethlisberger - a franchise QB NOT taken first overall - has two rings and three trips in six years. Much rather have a solid season, get a mid-round pick to spend on a Landry Jones or Matt Barkley, and win multiple.

It's better than the alternative: years of mediocrity with a few 8-10 win seasons thrown in just to keep the seats warm in the stadium.

At least if the Skins have one atrocious year it will amount to something of value, not just more broken dreams and empty trophy cases.

If the Skins have a horrible year, then so be it. As long as the team shows that they give a crap and play with some heart. This tanking the season talk is a bunch of B.S.

I don't think the Skins are trying to tank. I know I don't hope they tank. I just look at the current OL and think, as is, the offense is going to tank. At this point, finding a couple of FA OL is the only way they're not going to tank, because I don't believe that the defense alone will win a lot of ballgames.

People talk as if Ryan Harris and Davin Joseph have already rented apartments in the DC area. Or that Cook and Capers have suddenly become Pro Bowl ready after a year of being on the practice squad. Or that Heyer, Rabach, Lichtensteiger and Montgomery are somebody else. If the Skins tank again, the only bright side is who you get in next year's draft. I like the direction, I like the coaches and I like the players. But unfortunately, I don't think the Skins will do well next year with the OL they currently have and I don't have any faith that in the 'bird in the bush' FA market. The fact I think the OL is awful doesn't mean I want them to play badly, but until I see some other OL in Redskin uniforms, I do expect it. That doesn't doesn't mean I'm pulling for them to tank no matter who's at the top of the draft board.

I'm glad to be informed that Luck is finishing his schooling. Thank you. It would be nice if a lot more athletes would do the same.

Because Manning only has one Super Bowl ring in his 13 years and only two trips. Meanwhile, Roethlisberger - a franchise QB NOT taken first overall - has two rings and three trips in six years. Much rather have a solid season, get a mid-round pick to spend on a Landry Jones or Matt Barkley, and win multiple.

If manning had a defense like the steelers he would probably have around 4

Manning>>>>Big Ben and thats more a testament to how good manning is

If manning had a defense like the steelers he would probably have around 4

Manning>>>>Big Ben and thats more a testament to how good manning is

If Manning had a defense like the Steelers he wouldn't be playing for the Colts - his contract binds Bill Polian's hands in terms of bettering the other side of the ball.

Tanking the season is a juvenile concept to begin with. This is professional sport. The players are paid millions. The coaches are constantly on the hot seat. No team would ever tank a season. Ever. For anyone. It is dumb to even think that's possible.

I think Dallas tanked it in 1989. I'm not positive but they made tank moves and got rid of everybody who'd help them win. Of course their 1 win was against us but they got their guy in the draft.

It may be juvenile but if they did it at least they'd be trying something different. :D Every year since Snyder bought the team it's been "WERE GOING TO WIN THE SB" and we've averaged 6-7 wins a year.

It's very pathetic that when you are trying your hardest and trading and signing everybody to win every year, (and several teams are not going out of their way to win and are clearly rebuilding) and you still can't win 9+ games then you just aren't good and should fire yourself. (which surprisingly, Snyder finally figured out after a decade)

---------- Post added May-3rd-2011 at 08:23 AM ----------

If Manning had a defense like the Steelers he wouldn't be playing for the Colts - his contract binds Bill Polian's hands in terms of bettering the other side of the ball.

True story. We'd never have gotten M. Washington if not for that.

True story. We'd never have gotten M. Washington if not for that.

That's exactly what would happen with us, too, if we "tanked the season" to get the Number 1 pick and used it on Luck. We'd lose Landry, Orakpo, Kerrigan, Atogwe and Hall, and replace them with average to slightly above average players.

I'd much rather have a QB taken in the middle of the first, not have to pay him as much, and have the same (if not more) success.

I'd much rather have a QB taken in the middle of the first, not have to pay him as much, and have the same (if not more) success.

You gotta pay him the bucks sooner or later though. I'd rather pay a QB top money than a CB, LB, or DT.

Unless you get a guy like Brady who will sign for a little less than he's really worth. If Brady went FA he'd get close to or maybe as much as Manning but he's playing in NE for 2/3 of his value.

Maybe Luck decided to pull a Jake Locker -- didn't like the top teams so he stayed in school another year and tanked so that hopefully one of the lower-drafting (i.e., playoff) teams would grab him and he could start in a few years on a really good team, like that Cal. QB a few years ago who's in Green Bay.

The Steelers consistently have a Top 10 defense year in and year out Hitman. The Colts have to get carried by one player year in and year out and it's remarkable how he continues to do so. When there is a can't miss QB prospect they usually almost always hit(at least in recent memory) Mayock was a big believer in Matt Ryan, hyped him up accordingly and he is a stud. Bradford was the guy last year and has played accordingly. In drafts where it's been wishy-washy('09 some had Sanchez some had Stafford) or '07 when some had Russell and some had Quinn they either turned out to be slightly above average and just not good at all. I mean sure, in the past top can't miss QB's have flopped, but usually when it's been a consensus in recent memories these guys tear it up.

Archived