Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles lose Dawkins and Taylor...

MikeB

It's a tough sport. Injuries happen.

Maybe a miracle will occur and Andy Reid will get a clue.

Once again, the X-factor is McNabb. Will he play up to his abilities or will he let the team drift? It's time for him to step up, take the leadership role and carry the team on his shoulders. The only way for him to do that is for the pocket-shackles to be removed by Reid so he can get on the move. With his average at best receivers, that's the only way they can get open. How did they beat TB, NYG, etc. before? McNabb was mobile and hitting receivers when the coverage broke down.

Last season, his QB rating while on the move was 131. Why can'

t Reid see this?

The other issue is as follows. If the Eagles implode quicker than the Vet this year, will Reid's job security disappear? Maybe Lurie can give Danny Snyder a call and ask for some advice on this one.

I expect the Eagles to bounce back strongly against NE, especially on the offensive side (they can't get worse!). There's no way that NE is prepared for the dink and dunk passes to Staley. No way they can stop it. :rolleyes:

Originally posted by redman

This is where the talent they've bled away on defense over the last three years comes back to haunt them. Who can they look to to pick up where Dawkins left off?

Well, to be fair Dawkins is an irreplaceable player. That's like saying we have no depth because we wouldn't be able to replace Arrington.

Tough break for the Eagles. But their defense is a very well coached unit. They might not be done just yet. It will be interesting to see how Johnson handles this.

From the Eagle Site:

Update

September 10, 2003

By DAVE SPADARO

Safety Brian Dawkins will be 2-6 weeks, according to the diagnosis provided by Eagles head athletic trainer Rick Burkholder on Wednesday morning. Dawkins has a Lis Franc injury, but does not require surgery. Burkholder termed it a "mild Lis Franc sprain."

Also, cornerback Bobby Taylor (foot strain) and defensive end Brandon Whiting (hamstring) have been listed as doubtful for Sunday's game against New England.

About Dawkins, Burkholder said, "He does have a foot sprain and a sprain is an injury to ligaments. There was a question about whether he had a Lis Franc sprain or not. You guys know a lot about Duce's (Staley) injury. Brian has an injury to his Lis Franc ligament, but it's not torn. It's just stretched out. So he won't require surgery.

"We had an MRI that showed that the ligament was not torn. He had a CAT scan to show that there wasn't any widening in the bones in that joint."

Dawkins had a special X-ray performed early Wednesday by Dr. Myerson in Baltimore, MD. During that process, explained Burkholder, Dawkins was placed under anesthesia and his foot was numbed and then doctors attempted to move the bone to see if there was any widening in his foot.

Burkholder said there was "very minimal" movement in the Lis Franc joint. Staley had a lot of movement.

"That's why Duce had surgery and that's why Brian doesn't need surgery," said Burkholder.

Burkholder said that "in general, those things take 2-6 weeks to heal. People heal differently."

Burkholder said rehabilitation has already started with Dawkins.

Clinton Hart will start Sunday at free safety against New England.

We'll continue to cover the story throughout the day on

PhiladelphiaEagles.com

CBS Sportsline is stating that Taylors injury is not serious and he is questionable for this week. He sure looked like he was in severe pain Monday night, and they are saying now that it is a foot sprain.

If I reported anything false I am sorry, But I am sure I heard about the Plantar injury during the game. We will have to wait and see.

Originally posted by carlsbadd

If I reported anything false I am sorry, But I am sure I heard about the Plantar injury during the game. We will have to wait and see.

This was mentioned during the game.

Overall, the news is better than I was hoping. Lito Shepard was giving 6-7 inches on JJ and Meshawn and they certainly went after him when Taylor went out.

So, will they re-sign Taylor? Or conveniently forget about it when contract talks start?

I was just going to note, that on last evenings 11pm Phila NBC10 news report, they are evading any major talk about the injuries to both Dawkins and Taylor. They sort of skimmed over it by saying (never good at quotes..) " Tough break for Eagles, both are expected to be out for a week or two." Week or two??? Maybe they didn't want to panic the crazy fans in the area...

I think that despite the holdout, Duce is going to emerge the emotional leader from the situation. During Donovans interview, he was answering regarding the lousy game, and all he manages to say is, "It's not embarrassing, its football." Correct me if I am wrong, for the season opener against the team who knocked off their Superbowl aspirations, and at the grand opening of the new palace, I thought it was pretty embarrassing, especially after the amount of dough they sunk into that one player....They were one the one yard line for Gods sake and put scoring in the hands of a rookie??? I thought McNabb had a piss poor attitude about the future and himself needing to kick it up a notch. Duce and a few other guys who I couldn't even name for the life of me, had much better mental handle on the scene, and much more focused on pulling the team together.

I don't think their season is over either, but yes its going to be a long one if someone doesn't step up and make an example of themselves in a positive way. I can't believe how many injuries they are dealing with this early in the season.

http://www.philly.com/mld/dailynews/sports/6733953.htm

Dawkins' season over?

Agent denies report of Lisfranc injury

By LES BOWEN

bowenl@phillynews.com

It was not an encouraging sight, Brian Dawkins hobbling into the passenger seat of a silver pickup yesterday outside the NovaCare Complex, with what looked like a soft walking cast on his right foot.

The Eagles offered no result from Dawkins' MRI exam, and Dawkins didn't stop to talk to reporters, but it would seem to be quite a leap from a walking cast to Sunday's lineup against visiting New England.

Dawkins' agent, Jim Steiner, last night denied a Comcast SportsNet report that said Dawkins had suffered a Lisfranc injury, which is the problem that ended Duce Staley's 2000 season after five games.

"It's not that, based on the information I've received,'' Steiner said. Asked whether Dawkins' injury was less serious than a Lisfranc, Steiner deferred to the Eagles.

"The team hasn't said anything and Brian hasn't said anything yet, so I'll just leave it at that,'' Steiner said.

The Eagles did not return Daily News calls seeking comment last night.

On other injury fronts, there were no sightings of defensive end Brandon Whiting (right hamstring) or cornerback Bobby Taylor (left plantar fascia problem), but given the short week of preparation, their participation against the Patriots would seem to be in doubt, as well.

When the schedule came out, having the bye in Week 3 seemed a waste. Now the Eagles might be grabbing on to it as a season-saver.

Dawkins, perhaps the best safety in football, has no veteran backup. The reserve safeties are former practice-squad member Clinton Hart and rookie free agent Quintin Mikell. They made their NFL debuts Monday against Tampa.

Bringing in a safety who could play right away in coordinator Jim Johnson's defense wouldn't be easy. The longtime security blanket is Tim Hauck, but when the Birds grabbed for him last season they ended up not using him; they seemed to have come to the conclusion Hauck's time had passed.

Most likely, the Eagles would do what they've discussed previously, move Troy Vincent to safety and start one of their second-year corners in Vincent's spot, probably Lito Sheppard. But if Taylor also is out, the Eagles also would have to start the other second-year corner, Sheldon Brown. Pats quarterback Tom Brady, who looked off-target in New England's 31-0 Sunday loss to Buffalo, might be able to get back into the flow in a hurry.

The Eagles could re-sign veteran safety Rashard Cook, but Cook was released in preseason because his rebuilt knee didn't seem ready for game action. He probably hasn't progressed that much in less than 2 weeks.

The defensive end position might be even more threadbare. The Eagles currently are missing three - Derrick Burgess (Achilles' tendon) and Jamaal Green (broken fibula), who are on IR for the season, and Jerome McDougle, who will miss at least this coming game with hip, knee and ankle injuries. The Eagles signed veteran Marco Coleman last weekend and played him Monday, especially after Whiting went down with 10 minutes left.

Whiting - who played well against the Bucs - didn't seem to be seriously injured, but he has had hamstring trouble since the start of training camp. The Eagles have a DE on their practice squad, Ron Johnson, from Shippensburg, but someone would have to leave the 53-man roster for him to be added.

"All three of these, we'll know a little bit better in the next 48 hours,'' said Eagles coach Andy Reid, whose team so far has had extraordinarily bad injury luck playing on its new DD Grassmaster natural surface. "[Vice president of player personnel] Tom Heckert and I have met and are evaluating the situation throughout the day. Do we have backup plans? Absolutely.''

IMO Dawkins is the best player on that team, both sides of the ball. That is a HUGE loss to them, and if they lost Vincent as well they will be in bad bad shape. Taylor will have to step up and be the man alongside all those rookies they drafted a couple years ago. Should be intersting. The injury bug can prove to be the great equalizer in the NFL.

Originally posted by GhostofWoodsonReturns

it's the tendon in the arch right?

If that's the planar faschia, OUCH. Mine was sore for a couple of weeks and goo goo ga ga, the pain when you stepped a certain way.

No kidding dude. I had it in my right foot during my sophomore season of cross-country in college and I was worthless all year. The trainer said it was usually caused by a lack of arch support, especially for people with high arches.

So, while not necessarily the most crushing of injuries, it can definitely be one of the most debilitating just b/c everytime you push off on your foot there is major pain. I would expect him to be back in at least two weeks and having to take cortizone shots for the remainder of the season to kill the pain.

Archived