Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

A QB Quandry: Is it the system?

Hitman21ST

So, with all the talk going on about QBs and who's going where with the draft starting today :drooley: I'm wondering: can a system make a QB?

I know it's a vague question, so let me elaborate: people are throwing around terms a lot: NFL-ready, Spread QB, mold your offense around this guy. The big question is, can every quarterback be a success in the right system, are some doomed to fail in any system, and can some succeed in any system?

Personally, I don't think that every QB can fit in every system, and there are quarterbacks that are doomed to failure. JaMarcus Russel wouldn't have been good in any offense, and Peyton Manning wouldn't do very well in a John Elway-type offense. But Manning is a guy you design your offense around, and so is a guy like Vick.

Just some food for thought.

Yes. I've long held the belief that almost any QB that is talented enough to be drafted in the top 3 rounds could play like a franchise QB, with the right system, coaching, and surrounding talent. Basically, the right situation. This could hold true for guys drafted later in the draft as well.

There are exceptions, of course. But the reality is that most rookie QB's just aren't drafted into the right situation. And more importantly, they are rarely drafted into the perfect situation, which is where you really see results, regardless of draft position.

I think Mark Sanchez benefits greatly from his situation and scheme

I think he'd be very average in a different city like here, Buffalo, etc

I think he does a pretty good job at being very average where he is now. :whoknows:

I think Mark Sanchez benefits greatly from his situation and scheme

I think he'd be very average in a different city like here, Buffalo, etc

WHY do so many people think Sanchez is so great or even good??? His stats are awful, I've watched him panic and make horrible throws, and anywhere else in the league, a great defense like that would surely get the credit for a couple playoff runs, but nooo, for some reason Sanchez is just the man. Seriously, he was pretty much the worst QB in the league, stats wise.

**** Mark Sanchez

To answer the OP, I have to look no further than Mark Rypien. Strong arm, fairly accurate on the deep throw, but couldn't lead a guy across the middle. But he was a Super Bowl MVP because he could sit back in the pocket all day sipping koolaid in a lawn chair while his WR's got open. Put the same guy on today's Redskins, and he can't take a 3 step drop without getting up front and personal with the opposing DL.

Doug Williams - average QB. Joe Theisman - average QB, but both did great because they had WR's who got open because the OL gave them plenty of time. Yes, the team makes the QB. It's not always the other way around. Sometimes you build your team around the QB, like with either Manning or Brees. Sometimes putting the QB in the system makes the guy a franchise QB. If I had to guess, I would say putting the QB in the system is more common.

Archived