Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

"Restrepo" Director Killed in Libya

Dan T.

(CNN) -- Tim Hetherington, an esteemed photojournalist and an Oscar nominee for a gritty and harrowing documentary about the Afghan war, was killed in the war-torn Libyan city of Misrata, the president of the agency that represented him said Wednesday.

Other photographers were reportedly hurt in the incident that killed him. Panos Pictures, which employed Hetherington, confirmed that the photographer's family had been notified.

"We're still trying to figure out front lines or house," said CSPR agency president Cathy Saypol in reference to where he was when killed. "The only thing we know is that he was hit by an RPG with the other guys." An RPG is a rocket-propelled grenade.

Hetherington's last Twitter entry appears to have been made on Tuesday: "In besieged Libyan city of Misrata. indiscriminate shelling by Qaddafi forces. No sign of NATO."

A British native who was based in Brooklyn in New York, Hetherington received an Academy Award nomination this year for "Restrepo," a documentary film he co-directed with journalist Sebastian Junger. He also worked in Afghanistan two years ago with CNN's Anderson Cooper and Dr. Sanjay Gupta.

Vanity Fair magazine, where Hetherington was a contributing photographer, described him as "widely respected by his peers for his bravery and camaraderie." Its profile says he had dual U.S. and British citizenship.

"We are saddened beyond words," Saypol told Vanity Fair.

Hetherington spent eight years in West Africa and had reported on social and political issues worldwide, most notably the Liberian conflict.

He gained wide fame for "Restrepo," which chronicles the deployment of a platoon of U.S. soldiers in Afghanistan's Korengal Valley, according to the film's website.

"The movie focuses on a remote 15-man outpost, 'Restrepo,' named after a platoon medic who was killed in action. It was considered one of the most dangerous postings in the U.S. military," his website says.

"This is an entirely experiential film: the cameras never leave the valley; there are no interviews with generals or diplomats. The only goal is to make viewers feel as if they have just been through a 90-minute deployment. This is war, full stop."

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/africa/04/20/libya.journalists/index.html?eref=mrss_igoogle_cnn

Wow. Restrepo was excellent, and as ghoulish as it may sound, I want to see what he was working on.

That's a shame,, hell of a loss.

~Bang

Definitely agree, I wonder if he was far enough along to have them put something out (if they would do so). The situation in Libya is such an unknown for so many people here.

What a shame. Restrepo was an incredibly powerful documentary...it would be interesting to see what he was working on in Libya. I'm sad that we won't get to witness more of his work as I think it's important for people to watch and pay attention to. My heart goes out to his loved ones.

Archived