Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

CNN.com: Twist of Fate Led to $319M Lottery Win

Madison Redskin

Schenectady, New York (CNN) -- Seven New Yorkers claimed a $319 million jackpot in the multistate Mega Millions lottery Thursday.

The Albany seven, as they are being called, are co-workers at New York state's Division of Housing and Community Renewal, where they have been playing the lottery for years in an office pool. Sharing the winning ticket were John Hilton, 57, John Kutey, 54, Gabrielle Mahar, 29, Tracy Sussman, 41, Kristin Baldwin, 42, Leon Peck, 62, and Mike Barth, 63.

Barth said another customer cut in front of him as he reached for a Snickers candy bar before buying the ticket at Coulson's News store in Albany. That customer bought a lottery ticket, he said. "I thought about saying something, but let it slide," he said. "I behaved myself." The next ticket purchased at the store was the winning ticket, he said.

Read the rest of the story here.

How awesome is it that a dude may have lost out on $319,000,000.00 because he jumped in line? Good job dip ****.

You know what I mean Poker. There are two thinkings when it comes to this. Some people go out and buy $100 dollars worth of lotto tickets and then there are some people that buy $1 worth of tickets. One party said it gives you more chances while the other says that the probability of you winning is the same

I don't know if the guy who jumped in line actually cost himself the jackpot, as I don't know how the lottery machines spit out the numbers. Still....it's a good story.

Yeah, I wonder if there's also a time element involved in the randomization where the exact time of the day is used. Who knows, maybe getting the ticket a second later would have given them a different ticket?

You know what I mean Poker. There are two thinkings when it comes to this. Some people go out and buy $100 dollars worth of lotto tickets and then there are some people that buy $1 worth of tickets. One party said it gives you more chances while the other says that the probability of you winning is the same

And the second party would be wrong...in the scenario in your post, you are 100 times more likely to win.

Are both percentages microscopically small? Of course, but its simple math. You do have a higher chance. Just like these 7 finally won after all pitching in for tickets for years. They increased their odds.

And the second party would be wrong...in the scenario in your post, you are 100 times more likely to win.

Are both percentages microscopically small? Of course, but its simple math. You do have a higher chance. Just like these 7 finally won after all pitching in for tickets for years. They increased their odds.

Exactly. And it's often times people who play in work lottery pools that win these big pots. Whatever you can do to increase your chances helps that much more.

Archived