Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL Locking Setting the Stage?

KDawg

One has to wonder if the NFL Lockout is a beta test for the other sports leagues.

NBA: Expires at the end of the current season (NBA Info)

MLB: December 11, 2011 (MLBPA Link)

NHL: After the 2012 season (NHL Info)

If this is in fact the litmus test and other leagues are going to follow the example of this set of circumstances it could be a really good thing or a really bad thing. It depends on how the whole things turns out. I don't see the NHL going that route again, but who knows.

There is more to this labor dispute than just the NFL season... I'll tell you this... the less professional sports there are the more bored I'm going to be. None of this is good for anyone.

If anyone has any added input on the other leagues, please let me know. I haven't heard much about these other ones.

NFL is growing others are dying'

The NHL is struggling due to poor management

I'm not sure the NFL will be growing if this lockout stuff continues. Both sides need to bend and both sides need understand that they are drowning out interest in their product.

The MLB isn't dying, and neither is the NBA. I don't know as much about hockey, though.

In certain cities yes

They do not have the same hard cap as say the NFL does

The same applies to the MLB

When things start to become mundane people get bored and chose to watch something else

Certain cities does not equal the league, DR. You're kidding yourself if you think the sport is dying. It's not flourishing, but its not dying, either. Now, if there is a long enough lockout, I'm not sure any of these leagues are safe.

Certain cities does not equal the league, DR. You're kidding yourself if you think the sport is dying. It's not flourishing, but its not dying, either. Now, if there is a long enough lockout, I'm not sure any of these leagues are safe.

Oh, fans are fans and will always return KD. The respective sports would suffer no doubt, and the hit spectator wise may last a whole lot longer than the duration of the lockout, but eventually fans will return. It's what we do. The drug we need, shrugs.

Hail.

Oh, fans are fans and will always return KD. The respective's sports would suffer no doubt, and the hit spectator wise may last a whole lot longer than the duration of the lockout, but eventually fans will return. It's what we do. The drug we need, shrugs.

Hail.

I agree... But only after a major hit to the sport. Perhaps in the way of contraction (which actually, may HELP the leagues in the long run. Some of these leagues are way overcrowded with teams).

Good thread. The NFL truthfully could be gone for a year and miss the entire season with no scabs and when it comes back it may make even more than it did before with people being so starved for it.

As you mentioned many of the male population will be bored to tears. Marriages will end others will get better. Arguments will arise from nothing... all because Football is gone. College Football will benefit from it, as will many Dads becoming assistant coaches for their sons teams thus making their sons team much worse.

The NBA can not afford a lockout because although the sport has grown globally as it's been mentioned Butts in seats are waning. The Commish thought helping the "Brand Image" with having players dress up would help, but contraction is probably the ultimate need really. Who would have thunk when everyone called Lebron for saying it, there was a chance it could actually happen?

Baseball won't dare come close to a lockout or strike with the hit they took last time, however those contracts will be talked about Im sure. With the NHL, once they change the League Management and get more major TV deals so you aren't having to buy the NHL package on DTV they will improve.

Archived