Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Foxsports: D-line value is reason to trade in draft

Oldskool

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-draft-defensive-line-daquan-bowers-030611

Adam Caplan is our newest NFL reporter/insider at FOXSports.com. He has spent the past 10 seasons covering the league, specializing in player personnel, injuries and contracts.

Updated Mar 7, 2011 4:48 PM ET

The 2011 NFL draft will feature quite possibly the deepest class of defensive linemen the annual selection weekend has seen in years. In fact, some personnel evaluators say there could be as many as nine defensive ends selected in the first round. And that’s not to mention some of the hybrids (DE/OLB) such as Von Miller (Texas A&M) and Akeem Ayers (UCLA), who some teams may look at playing with their hands down at the NFL level.

But while a third of the first round could feature defensive linemen, you might see only two quarterbacks go off the board on the first day.

And those two quarterbacks, Blaine Gabbert (Missouri) and Cam Newton (Auburn), are not quite seen as “franchise” type players, according to various personnel evaluators FOXSports.com recently queried about the subject. Both signal callers have plenty of upside and talent, but neither player has deemed themself a sure-fire starter for the next 8-10 years. And because of that, there’s a lot of uncertainty, at this point, where both players will be picked.

But what could drive their value back up is that so many teams are in need of a developmental quarterback. Of the 32 NFL teams, at least 10 of them don’t really know who will be behind center for the foreseeable future.

That’s why the Philadelphia Eagles, if the labor situation is cleared up by draft weekend, could get good value in return for quarterback Kevin Kolb, should they decide to trade him.

In past drafts, we haven’t seen much trading to inside the top-10 because of the compensation required (money/draft picks involved), but we could see trading from selections 10-25 because there’s a ton of value for teams looking for a defensive end who could come in and challenge for a starting job right away.

Any team looking for a defensive end capable of starting for several seasons should be able to find one somewhere in the first round or early in the second round. However, like every position, there’s going to be a drop-off in ability.

Teams looking for help at defensive end picking in the back of the first round, let’s say picks 20-32 (Tampa Bay Buccaneers, Philadelphia Eagles, New Orleans Saints, Seattle Seahawks and Atlanta Falcons), will probably be looking at Adrian Clayborn (Iowa), Ryan Kerrigan (Purdue) and Cameron Heyward (Ohio St.). However, because of his size (6-5, 294), the son of former NFL running back Craig “Ironhead” Heyward, might receive more attention from teams running a 3-4 scheme as a “5-technique."

To have a chance at the projected top ends like Da’Quan Bowers (Clemson), Robert Quinn (North Carolina), Cameron Jordan (California), Aldon Smith (Missouri) and J.J. Watt (Wisconsin) or the top hybrid defender (end/outside linebacker), Miller, those teams will have to move up (especially for Bowers and Quinn). Jordan and Watt could possibly receive more attention from those teams who want to use them as 5-techniques. Because 14 teams are projected to run the 3-4 this coming season, ends capable of playing in that system will be at a premium.

And teams looking to improve the interior of their defensive line with defensive tackles most notably Marcell Dareus (Alabama) and Nick Fairley (Auburn) will have to move up inside of the top-10 picks.

Because of that great depth at defensive end for the first round, the early portion of the second round will probably also be solid for that position. Christian Ballard (Iowa) and Allen Bailey (Miami-Fla.) are thought to be future starters at the next level, but are likely to fall into the second round.

It’s possible, according to several personnel sources, that we could see as many as 18 defensive linemen (11 ends, 7 tackles) and four hybrids (Miller, Ayers, Justin Houston-Georgia, Brooks Reed-Arizona) go off the board within the top-50 selections overall.

The bottom line is that if you’re a team in need of a pass rusher or an end to play in a 3-4, you’ll likely be able to get one of them within the first two rounds. But if you want an elite defensive end, you’re going to have to trade up, probably not down.

Gosh, so many options at #10.

If the CBA gets done prior to the draft and McNabb gets traded for a 3rd then there wouldn't be as much need to move down for an extra day 2 pick.

That should give us a real "impact" player at #10.

This bodes well for the Redskins who need to bolster that D-line. Von Miller would be great if only he is there at 10. I would not trade up in the Skins position, but they could trade down.

Von Miller isn't the end all, be all of DE/OLB in this class, regardless of the hype on this board. Even if Miller is gone at 10 there still will be some pretty damn good options available. The teams that run the 4-3 defense would need to trade up to get a DE before other teams take them and convert them to 3-4 OLB's.

All the more reason to go with Jones at ten and take a DE/OLB in the second...

Exactly!!!

You go with the potential game changer on offense, and a quality starter to play TEAM defense!

If we went Julio or Green in the 1st we could still get

NT Phil Taylor

OLB Justin Houston

C Rodney Hudson

Stephen Paea DT

Christian Ballard DE

Brooks Reed OLB

Stefen Wisniewski C

Kenrick Ellis DT

Sam Acho OLB Texas

I just dont see any other way to go unless one of the top defensive players drop to us ( ie: Peterson, Amukamora, Quinn,Dareus, or Farley)

This bodes well for the Redskins who need to bolster that D-line. Von Miller would be great if only he is there at 10. I would not trade up in the Skins position, but they could trade down.

Yup if he's there that would be a huge pick up for us. Orrrrr we can see whats on the table b/c u know damn well the Texans will take him if we pass on him and im sure someone will be willing to give us some good picks for him. Would like to see them take their time with the pick and not rush up there like they did when we got Rak. One player isn't going to make our team that much better (even a stud like MIller, he will def help tho) but gaining an extra 2nd or 1st round pick and adding three starters from the 1st and 2nd round def will.

Von Miller isn't the end all, be all of DE/OLB in this class, regardless of the hype on this board. Even if Miller is gone at 10 there still will be some pretty damn good options available. The teams that run the 4-3 defense would need to trade up to get a DE before other teams take them and convert them to 3-4 OLB's.

All the more reason I think the Skins are sitting pretty to trade down and take advantage of more picks especially in the second.

Exactly!!!

You go with the potential game changer on offense, and a quality starter to play TEAM defense!

If we went Julio or Green in the 1st we could still get

NT Phil Taylor

OLB Justin Houston

C Rodney Hudson

Stephen Paea DT

Christian Ballard DE

Brooks Reed OLB

Stefen Wisniewski C

Kenrick Ellis DT

Sam Acho OLB Texas

I just dont see any other way to go unless one of the top defensive players drop to us ( ie: Peterson, Amukamora, Quinn,Dareus, or Farley)

I think Paea is going to be the next big thing.

Our offense is pretty bad, but our defense was worse - like historically bad and it was mostly because we didn't have the right personnel.

We can't spend our top 2 picks both on offense. We need a five technique, nose tackle and a couple LBs. I'm pretty confident in Shanahan's ability to find interior OL later in the draft - you don't need to spend high picks on Cs or Gs. If Shanahan thinks that Jones or Gabbert or whoever is the pick in Round 1, then so be it. I just don't see how you can look at our defense and say that we're going to get better without drafting D early and often.

We need blue chip type players on defense though in those core 3-4 positions. If you're running a 3-4 without a legit nose tackle, DL and LBs, you end up like we did last year - 31st in team defense.

I think Paea is going to be the next big thing.

Yep, I think this guy, pending that his knees hold up, will be a beast. Now that FS is taken care of, I really hope the powers that be focus on the O / D Lines and LBs. Maybe save some of the playmakers like WR, CB, and QB for next off-season, and lets work on the trenches this off-season.

You have the Pats and Chargers. I'd love to get the 17 and 33 from the Pats.

Amen to that but having a hard time trying to figure out who the Pats would target at #10. For example, we know they need a Matt Light replacement but that's too high. The definitely need a WR but seem to have success in later rounds at that position. They also need a brusing RB but again too high at 10.

:whoknows:

if Von Miller, Quinn, Dareus or Fairley are there at #10 ... should we strongly consider taking one of them? I'll admit, I don't know if Fairley would be an option at RDE (I only thought so because of his height, length, strength and pass rushing skills)? But he may not be an ideal fit for a 34 DE. Also, what are everyone's thoughts on Dareus as a NT, as compared to Phil Taylor from Baylor?

If Quinnis there at #10 then ... and we get an offer to trade back, what kind of picks would it take to do so? Also, same scenario with Julio Jones or another star player, what kind of draft pick compensation would be fair to trade back? I hear a lot about the Pats and Rams as possible trade partner options, but I am curious if trading back would be worth a lower 1st and a 2nd ... or would a 3rd be enough?

This will be a VERY interesting draft to say the least. HAIL.

Amen to that but having a hard time trying to figure out who the Pats would target at #10. For example, we know they need a Matt Light replacement but that's too high. The definitely need a WR but seem to have success in later rounds at that position. They also need a brusing RB but again too high at 10.

:whoknows:

If they trade up then I think it'll be a guy like Julio Jones if he's there

While I like Jones at the same time we've seen Shanny take guys in the mid rounds and they end up being stud players. We truly can't go wrong at #10 but if we don't take Jones I'm not going to freak out

I'm beginning to think that if we stay put at 10, and Dareus is off the board, we have to go Jones if he's there. Too many questions regarding the OLBs. Jordan and Watt maybe too high and unless they love a QB, what else is there to take? I'm a fan of trading back but we've got to have a partner. I think the Pats may target Jones, get him before the Rams do.

I'd love to get the 17 and 33 from the Pats.

As much as I'd like to stick at #10, the thought of having another 2nd rounder makes trading back very appealling. It would be nice to get DL,OLB plus the added bonus of either a WR,RB or dare I say QB within the first 2 rounds. However, its difficult to envisage getting those two picks from the Pats,imo.

We might be in a situation where we have a clear desire to trade back for that extra pick, so winning on the 'draft value chart' isn't a factor. Its more about both sides taking an even trade to get something they want. Thats pretty much how it worked out when we traded out of the first with the Falcons a few season back.

With that in mind, it could be more like their 28 & 33 or their 17 & 60, with a swap of later picks factored in.

Archived