Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2011 budget dealing. Example of Both Parties disingenuous

nonniey

Here is an example where you can say a pox on both parties. Anyone notice the Republican claim that they are trying to cut spending in the 2011 budget by $61 billion? Or the Dems counter to cut spending by $6.5 billion? The interesting thing is the Republicans are really offering only a $10 billion cut while the Dems offer is actually a $44.5 billion increase in spending.

Still ticks me off that politicians claim an attempt to decrease an increase is a cut. The Republicans are making this claim for polical points to sell to the fiscal conservatives and Tea Partiers that they are making headway in their promises to cut 2011 spending by $100 billion, while the Dems are really more interested in a continual expantion of spending and government growth despite what most Americans want.

It depends on how they baseline. It's funny they are using the Obama FY2011 $40B increase as a "baseline" because it makes their cuts look more dramatic.

FY2011 "baseline" (since both parties are using it) is 0.

FY2011 "Democrats" is now $-10B.

FY2011 "GOP" has always been $-100B.

Or we can say

FY2010 baseline is 0

Democrats is +$30B

GOP is $-60B

Politicians have always treated budgets this way.

The Democrats are rightly concerned about what happens if $90B is taken out of the economy. I think a $-30B cut from FY2010 would be a decent compromise...

I challenge anyone to find two charities that they think are worthy of supporting.

Once you have identified those charities that do very good things, pledge to each of them 100% of your annual earnings (thats correct 200% of your annual earnings in total)

even though you cannot afford it, they do such good work that it is worth going bankrupt over. Welcome to the simplified world of Government Entitlement spending.

Great point Dec90. Best example of this hypocrisy - Hillary C pointing out that her healthcare plan was not really going to cut Medicare, but rather limit its growth to 6.5 to 7%. In the end, her plan limited it to 7.1% to help finance Clinton's proposed healthcare plan. When the Repubs took over in 94 and worked to balance the budget, they proposed limiting Medicare to 7.5%. And Dems who had voted the 7.1% limit called them Extremists who'd slash medicare coverage.

The gorwth of the federal gov't under W and later Obama has been disastrous and if significant steps aren't taken soon the results will be catastrophic.

even though you cannot afford it, they do such good work that it is worth going bankrupt over. Welcome to the simplified world of Government Entitlement spending.

Well according to Larry, this all works out fine because the missing money is really covered by treasury bills :ols: So it's all fine.

I got my numbers wrong in the 2nd post:

FY2011 "baseline" (since both parties are using it) is 0.

FY2011 "Democrats" is now $-50B.

FY2011 "GOP" has always been $-100B.

Or we can say

FY2010 baseline is 0

Democrats is -$10B

GOP is $-60B

The GOP and Democrats are exactly now at the mid-point in negotiations. Having found more cuts, seems like the Dem's will be able to enact another CR for 2 weeks when the new one runs out.

If they can get it out that they have compromised, they *may* have a chance of winning the PR battle on this. Its twice the Dem's have moved from their position.

Archived