Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: "Defensive assistant Kirk Olivadotti leaving for Georgia; other coaching changes"

Hiro

Noticed this wasn't really recognized, and I'm pretty bummed about this. :(

Defensive assistant Kirk Olivadotti leaving for Georgia; other coaching changes

By Mike Jones

The Washington Redskins are losing defensive assistant Kirk Olivadotti from their coaching staff, as he has accepted the position of inside linebackers coach at the University of Georgia, according to two people with knowledge of the situation.

Olivadotti was the longest-tenured coach on the Redskins' staff, having spent 11 seasons with the team. Olivadotti broke into the NFL coaching ranks with Washington in 2000 as a defensive quality control coach. He held that position for four seasons. From 2007 to 2009, Olivadotti served as linebackers coach for the Redskins and served as defensive assistant this past season.

Olivadotti declined to comment when reached by phone.

In other coaching-related news, the team re-signed safeties coach Steve Jackson, two sources said. Jackson had been with the Redskins staff since 2004, coaching the safeties each season, and his contract was up.

Meanwhile, the Redskins announced Wednesday afternoon that they have promoted offensive assistant Sean McVay to tight ends coach. McVay, who just completed his first season with the Redskins, filled in as tight ends coach for the last four games of the season after Jon Embree left to take the head coaching job at the University of Colorado.

His promotion to tight ends coach comes as a bit of a surprise, however, because at the completion of the 2010 season, Mike Shanahan sounded hesitant about handing McVay the position on a full-time basis.

Click on link for the rest of the article.

http://voices.washingtonpost.com/redskinsinsider/defensive-assistant-kirk-oliva.html?wprss=redskinsinsider

We're losing a good one. Thank you, Coach KO, for your loyal years of service to us! It's a shame to see you leave, and best of luck to you in Georgia!

Thanks for your work KO.

I hope we've got a replacement in mind. It's kind of strange that he went from being our LB coach to being UoGeorgia's ILB coach.

Isn't that kind of a double demotion, dropped from LB coach to ILB coach and from the NFL to NCAA?

Good luck to him.

Yeah I saw this too and was bummed about it.

The only possible silver lining to Danny's decade long musical chairs in the coaching staff, Kirk Olivadotti being groomed by some of the best defensive minds in football and a diverse set of defenses, is now gone.

Good Luck Kirk.

This post made me excited to have him on the Bulldogs coaching staff. Under Todd Grantham (former Cowgirls DL coach) we might have a chance to see an exciting defense in the next 2 or 3 years. Olivadotti has definitely worked with a lot of different coaches and seen a lot of different philosophies. And he's been around some pretty good linebackers over the course of his career here.

I wouldn't be surprised to see more assistant coaches, not just Skins, headed for a stable incomes this year. Most of the contracts they have with NFL teams cut their pay severely should there be a lockout. I read something like 25% first month, 50% second month, etc. for some or even.

This post made me excited to have him on the Bulldogs coaching staff. Under Todd Grantham (former Cowgirls DL coach) we might have a chance to see an exciting defense in the next 2 or 3 years. Olivadotti has definitely worked with a lot of different coaches and seen a lot of different philosophies. And he's been around some pretty good linebackers over the course of his career here.

I'll be interested in seeing how he does at Georgia. Gregg Williams gushed about Kirk and the kind of preparation he does.

Remember Kirk came here as a coaching assistant with Ray Rhodes. He was able to then stick around and earn promotions while working with Marty Schottenheimer, Marvin Lewis, Gregg Williams and got some 3/4 exposure last year with Haslett.

Add that experience to his dedication to his profession and the fact that the players seem to love him, Georgia should be very excited and we Skin fans should be pissed. We let one of our guys get away.

Archived