Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Franchise Tag 2011

tdigle

I'd love to keep a record of who's been franchised this year. I'm not the greatest researcher when it comes to other NFL franchises, so my initial list will be pretty meager. Please feel free to add any other players who have been tagged:

Jets: David Harris, LB (http://www.kitsapsun.com/news/2011/feb/15/jets-place-franchise-tag-on-lb-david-harris/)

Patriots: Logan Mankins, G (http://sports.espn.go.com/boston/nfl/news/story?id=6121690)

Eagles: Michael Vick, QB (http://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2011/2/15/1994796/michael-vick-franchise-tag-philadelphia-eagles)

Peyton Manning, QB, Colts.

Haloti Ngata, DT, Ravens. Which apparently was 12.5 million thanks to Haynesworth.

Colts assigned the exclusive franchise tag to Peyton Manning.

The Colts still plan to make Manning the highest-paid player in the game. The sides will continue to work on a long-term deal, but the team is hesitant to pull the trigger until the labor uncertainty shakes out. This is the second time Manning has drawn the tag, having done so in 2004 as a precursor to his seven-year, $98 million contract. Manning's franchise tag number, 120 percent of his 2010 salary, is expected to be in the neighborhood of $23 million for 2011.

Ravens assigned the non-exclusive franchise tag to DT Haloti Ngata.

Like the Patriots with Logan Mankins, the Ravens have made it clear that they remain intent on locking up Ngata long term. If the tag sticks, Ngata will earn approximately $12.5 million in 2011. He's seeking a deal in neighborhood of Ndamukong Suh's $40 million guaranteed. One of the most dominant defensive linemen in the game, the 27-year-old is now Baltimore's primary building block on defense.

Also planned:

According to ESPN's Adam Schefter, the Steelers will use the franchise tag on OLB LaMarr Woodley.

Colleague John Clayton had already reported the Steelers had "every intention" of keeping Woodley, so Schefter is simply going one step further. Woodley remains a strong candidate for a long-term deal, but the Steelers are expected to wait for a new CBA. Woodley has been a terror in the postseason, and he should bypass James Harrison as the team's top pass rusher in 2011.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/200316/report-steelers-will-franchise-olb-woodley

Source: Vikings to tag Chad Greenway

The Minnesota Vikings will place the non-exclusive franchise tag Monday on linebacker Chad Greenway, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

This means that neither wide receiver Sidney Rice nor defensive end Ray Edwards will be tagged and each potentially could become a free agent depending on what happens with the ongoing collective bargaining agreement talks. The current CBA will expire at the end of the day on March 3 and owners might lock out the players if a new deal isn't signed.

Since the Vikings didn't use the "exclusive" tag, Greenway can negotiate with other teams. If he receives an offer, the Vikings can either match the other club's offer or receive two first-round draft choices as compensation.

The 28-year-old Greenway had a career-high 144 tackles last season.

Teams have until Thursday to use their franchise tag. So far, only quarterbacks Peyton Manning and Michael Vick have received exclusive franchise tags.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=6144597

Besides the right to negotiate with other teams, what's the difference between an exclusive and non-exclusive tag? I'm assuming the potential compensation? Not sure why I don't know this.

from what I understand....exclusive means that you can't even try to talk to them for a deal....the non-exclusive is other teams can give an offer to the player, but the team with the player can match the deal (if the team offering the deal ends up getting the player...that team has to give 2 1st round picks to the team they acquired the player from)

Heard today that Khalil was the first center in 15 years to be franchised. Wow.

Yup. And OL have only gotten more expensive in that time....it would be different if you just averaged the top-5 centers, but that's not the case.

Of course, who knows. The franchise tag could be irrelevant after the CBA is done, if it is done on time.

The franchise players for 2011 are: Jets linebacker David Harris, Patriots guard Logan Mankins, Steelers linebacker LaMarr Woodley, Browns kicker Phil Dawson, Ravens defensive tackle Haloti Ngata, Colts quarterback Peyton Manning, Jaguars tight end Marcedes Lewis, Chiefs defensive end Tamba Hali, Chargers receiver Vincent Jackson, Eagles quarterback Mike Vick, Vikings linebacker Chad Greenway, and Panthers center Ryan Kalil, Falcons.

That’s 12 franchise players, with Eagles kicker David Akers receiving the transition tag.

A transition tag is a tool used by National Football League teams to retain unrestricted free agents. It guarantees the original club the right of first refusal to match any offer the player may make with another team. The transition tag can be used once a year by each club unless they elect to use a franchise tag instead. Transition tags can be rescinded; however, teams that rescind a transition tag cannot use it again until the next season.

If a player signs a contract after receiving the transition tag, his original team can not use the tag again on any player until the contract has expired. The exception is if the player first signs a transition offer sheet, which is a one-year contract equal to the average salary of the top ten players in the league at the player's position, or a twenty percent salary increase, whichever is greater....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transition_tag

---------- Post added February-24th-2011 at 11:54 AM ----------

I remember reading that teams get (2) transition tags and a franchise tag but I may be incorrect

Archived