Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles looking more and more like the Eagles of old.

Hitman21ST

With the loss to the Vikings tonight, the Eagles lost the bye, and now get to play either the Packers or the Saints (because let's be honest, the Giants aren't making the playoffs). The Vikings showed how vulnerable the Eagles are to a pass rush when you shut them down deep, and just wrote the gameplan for the Cowboys and whoever plays them in the Wild Card round. The Saints are on a roll, and the Packers defense has already seen the Eagles and can beat them.

With their defense not really being able to stop anyone, and their offense looking VERY stoppable these days, it looks like we're looking at ANOTHER one-and-done for the Eagles in the playoffs. At the very best, Philly is going to lose in the divisional round up in Chicago.

Enjoy another year of a good regular season to fart out when it matters, Philly.

:eaglesuck

Hail.

Also, Vick has definately been slowed by the constant pounding. Kind of interesting how much a pass rush can have so much of an effect on an offense like Philly's. Around the time that they beat us and Indy, everyone was talking about SB, now that teams have a book on Vick, that tune is quickly changing. It would be interesting to see them in the first round. Its going to be a ***** for them.

Yeah, this loss by the Eagles pretty much clinched it for the Giants not making the playoffs. I don't see Lovie risking his players when he has his spot clinched once the Falcons or Saints or both win.

The only solace I can take is that maybe he does play his team hard thinking about what the Giants did the last week of the year playing the Pats hard when they didn't need it. But I doubt it.

I've noticed that Vick has been dancing around a bit like he did when he was with the Falcons. His "happy feet" are starting to return. Just have to keep pounding him.

With the loss to the Vikings tonight, the Eagles lost the bye, and now get to play either the Packers or the Saints (because let's be honest, the Giants aren't making the playoffs). The Vikings showed how vulnerable the Eagles are to a pass rush when you shut them down deep, and just wrote the gameplan for the Cowboys and whoever plays them in the Wild Card round. The Saints are on a roll, and the Packers defense has already seen the Eagles and can beat them.

With their defense not really being able to stop anyone, and their offense looking VERY stoppable these days, it looks like we're looking at ANOTHER one-and-done for the Eagles in the playoffs. At the very best, Philly is going to lose in the divisional round up in Chicago.

Enjoy another year of a good regular season to fart out when it matters, Philly.

:eaglesuck

Hail.

I see the Bears losing to the Packers (I figured that even if the Bears had something to play for). So I agree the giants are most likely out.

The eagles defense is a complete disaster and not playoff-ready. The offense is a finesse offense that doesn't like getting punched in the mouth. They need to run Mccoy a lot lot more. Too bad if he ever got injured Vick would have no outlet pass and zero run game. I think Mccoy is more of a key cog than anyone on that offense not named Vick.

Vick can't handle the physical pounding and Maclin and Deshean seem to require the play be going 20+ yards downfield for them to be open. Being aggressive with the Eagles is the gameplan to beating them. The texans, vikings, giants, and bears all have had success (albeit not always sustained) blitzing the heck out of vick or having 4 down linemen that can rush the passer consistently.

I hope the eagles rest their starters next week. Thats a great idea for a team that just got killed by one of the worst teams in the NFC. Really builds confidence having a loss eat at you for two weeks while watching your backups get beat up by a terrible cowboys team. Even if the backups beat the cowboys I would take the packers against that swiss cheese defense. They way their playing the packers might only need have to stop the eagles offense once to win the game.

Last year was the only time in eight playoff seasons under Reid that the Eagles lost in the opening round.

Eagles vs. (probably) Packers.....will be interesting to see how Vick deals with Matthews.

I hope the eagles rest their starters next week. Thats a great idea for a team that just got killed by one of the worst teams in the NFC. Really builds confidence having a loss eat at you for two weeks while watching your backups get beat up by a terrible cowboys team. Even if the backups beat the cowboys I would take the packers against that swiss cheese defense. They way their playing the packers might only need have to stop the eagles offense once to win the game.

you have to rest your key players who are hobbled

you dont go all out with 3 games in 12 days

i'm not gonna count the eagles out yet. yes they definitely should've won this game without question and they needed the bye more than most, but this doesn't hurt their chances that much.

i think the worst thing that happened to them tonight was their playoff opponents getting good film on how to neutralize the NFC's best offense. This along with SOME of the Giants defense was very effective.

this dude hitman was silent last week

eagles lose a bad game he creates whole threads about the eagles.........go figure

locked into the 3 seed......rest starters next week

bring GB into the linc in 2 weeks

Funny how I wasn't silent last week, and how you call me out for starting a thread pointing out the OBVIOUS weaknesses in the Eagles team, while not refuting any of them, and then think y'all stand a chance against the Packers, who already beat you this season.

this dude hitman was silent last week

eagles lose a bad game he creates whole threads about the eagles.........go figure

locked into the 3 seed......rest starters next week

bring GB into the linc in 2 weeks

This is a "what have you done for me lately" league. "Not For Long"

The Eagles looked like a very dangerous team the last few weeks. But in the NFL, all it takes is one or two really bad games and people start to doubt you (see the Giants).

We'll see what happens, but certainly seems like you guys cost yourself a bye week, Vick is roughed up, and you guys will likely go into the playoffs cold.

Dallas will likely beat you up next week.

i'm not gonna count the eagles out yet. yes they definitely should've won this game without question and they needed the bye more than most, but this doesn't hurt their chances that much.

i think the worst thing that happened to them tonight was their playoff opponents getting good film on how to neutralize the NFC's best offense. This along with SOME of the Giants defense was very effective.

the worst thing that would have happened really was for them to go hard and gas themselves the next 2 weeks and still end up at #3

vick needs the rest wheather it was next week or a first round bye.......dude looks gassed

get 22 and 10 back to 100 percent and go play the pack

i remember the pack saying after week 1 they never wanted to face vick again.......well here we go

---------- Post added December-29th-2010 at 05:03 AM ----------

The Eagles looked like a very dangerous team the last few weeks. But in the NFL, all it takes is one or two really bad games and people start to doubt you (see the Giants).

We'll see what happens, but certainly seems like you guys cost yourself a buy, and will go into the playoffs on a cold streak. Dallas will likely beat you up next week.

in a meaningless football game

We'll see what happens, but certainly seems like you guys cost yourself a bye week, Vick is roughed up, and you guys will likely go into the playoffs cold.

Dallas will likely beat you up next week.

Yup, Reid will bench the starters, lose to Dallas, and start the postseason on a losing streak. He has no sense of clutch.

Compare Tom Coughlin versus Wade Phillips during the last week of the 2007 regular season. One seized the moment, the other blew it epically (just like Reid has and will).

Exactly. If you want to give your starters rest how about you make them earn a bye.

Even if Reid rests as many starters as he can, he can't prevent injuries to the guys who do play against the cowboys. He can only rest 8 guys max, and risk having his young team's confidence only fall further.

I'm not saying every team should play all their starters up to the playoffs. What I think is when you suffer a crushing loss to Joe Webb, you make your team redeem themselves the first half against a terrible cowboys team then consider resting starters.

Exactly. If you want to give your starters rest how about you make them earn a bye.

Even if Reid rests as many starters as he can, he can't prevent injuries to the guys who do play against the cowboys. He can only rest 8 guys max, and risk having his young team's confidence only fall further.

I'm not saying every team should play all their starters up to the playoffs. What I think is when you suffer a crushing loss to Joe Webb, you make your team redeem themselves the first half against a terrible cowboys team then consider resting starters.

if you want to make a playoff run you dont force your to to play what would end up being about 5 games in 25 days

I don't think it really matters either way. If you're a good team you'll be fine in the playoffs. The Eagles success will depend on the matchups. They'll probably play the Packers in the first round, I could see Matthews having a big game wrecking havoc. The Pack have the CBs to play the Eagles WRs 1 on 1, and I don't know if Philly's D can handle a red hot Aaron Rodgers and the Packer offense.

I started off with a "gutt feeling" here, but did some research and found what I was looking for.

It's typically good-great defensive teams that make it to the SuperBowl without a bye - and those teams typically have good rushing attacks too (but I'll leave that out, because I don't feel like researching it).

I think most people would consider the Eagles a Passing team with an average defense. Anyone think there defense is anything special? Ok let's move on then...

Let's just look at recent history:

XLIII Feb. 1, 2009 Pittsburgh 27 Arizona 23 - Arizona, division winner, without a bye: average defense

XLII Feb. 3, 2008 New York 17, New England 14 - New York, wild card: great defense

XL Feb. 5, 2006 Pittsburgh 21, Seattle 10 - Pittsburgh, wild card: great defense

XXXVIII Feb. 1, 2004 New England 32, Carolina 29 - Carolina, division winner, without a bye: top ten defense

XXXVI Feb. 3, 2002 New England 20, St. Louis 17 - New England, wild card: great defense

XXXV Jan. 28, 2001 Baltimore 34, N.Y. Giants 7 - Baltimore, wild card: one of the best defenses ever

Only one team with a average - bad defense has made it to the superbowl in the last 10 years without a 1st round bye.

Certainly seems like the Eagles screwed the pooch today, in a game some people in this thread are calling "meaningless".

Archived