Ryan Torain

Keiland Williams

Mike Williams

Trent Williams

Chris Wilson

Darrel Young

Thats who I see us taking into camp next year

Thats a more realistic take on the roster from the HC/GM PointOfView

There are many angles one can take in evaluating the roster in the context of rebuilding. Going through it player by player, which TimmySmith did, is one way to do it. I think that analysis, while useful, lends itself to too much nitpicking. "You should put so-and-so here." "Player X is better than you think". Yada-Yada. It's fun to debate but the overall themes get lost in the shuffle. I think the point of the original post was summed up in the last sentence. 65% of the current roster is probably gone. I agree with that even though I think the lists need some adjusting.

You can also look at it in terms of "Units". For example, The O-Line, D-Line, etc. You certainly keep the debates flowing, but I like that analysis because you stay out of the nitpicking. So lets look at the units:

QB - Probably 2 new QB's on the roster next year

RB - I can forsee 2 new RB's on the roster next year.

WR - Be prepared for a major overhaul here. I'd say 3 new faces at a minimum

TE - Our most stable position. We actually don't need to change a thing.

ASIDE: (However, I think we should trade Cooley for draft picks. The time is right. He's one of the few players on our roster who would have value and Fred Davis makes him completely expendible. By the time this team finishes rebuilding, Cooley's best days might be behind him. The writing is one the wall here. The time is right. Shanny should pull the trigger for a 3rd or 4th pick. For the purposes of the analysis, though, lets say we keep him.)

OL - 3 new starters at least are needed (RG, C, LG). Strangely enough, I think our depth is OK. Not great, but OK. Its the starting 5 that need the continued overhaul. We started the process last year and need to keep it going.

DL - YIKES. Not good. The overall theme on D is to continue to build a talent base suited for the 3-4. The D-Line needs 2 new starters to do that and probably 3 new rotation guys. Yep, that's 5 new guys.

LB - Actually not bad. I think maybe only 2 new faces next year. (See the aside above and replace the name 'Cooley' with 'Macintosh', though. I think the timing is right there, too. Mac is a 4-3 OLB. Not a 3-4 ILB. Probably won't garner much in return, but that's why they call it rebuilding. We need those picks.)

CB - 3 new faces. One of whom can replace Carlos as I don't see him sicking around)

S - 3 new faces. One of who can start at FS.

K - Gano is shaky, but I think earned another year with a shorter leash.

P - Yeah, probably a new one coming in.........AGAIN.

KR - Banks is the man. No change

........... So there you have it. As TimmySmith pointed out, we're seriously looking at 65% turnover. Hopefully the bulk of that turnover results in a younger, hungrier roster. 2011 won't be the end of the overhaul, too. Please keep a 3 year view on this (we're in year 1). Rebuilding should end in 2012 and with a plan into the future byond 2012 to constantly retool via the draft. Quite frankly, there is no other way to do it and be successful.

If he has another good game this week then you may be able to put Anthony Bryant in that Core group that we can build around. Doc has been singing his praises for some time now (based on practice) and I can see why. He could be that space eating NT that Haz needs so badly. He has a good motor and damn that dude is freakin huge! And young too! Good pedigree being from Alabama as well.

Yes Sir, London stays for sure. And after his tenure and he decides to hang it up, please make him a coach of some sort to teach the young bucs some tackling and field presence as well as overall attitude no matter what the situation

Yes, I would love for London to be the defenses version of Chris Samuels! You can never have too many mentors or second opinions.

QB-upgrade needed

RB-Torrain, Keiland Williams, James Davis

FB-Sellers, Young

WR-Moss, Armstrong, Austin

TE-Cooley, Fred Davis

LT-Trent Williams

LG/C-Lichtensteiger/Montgomery

RG-? upgrade needed

RT- upgrade needed

Defense-

ILBs-Fletcher, Riley, Blades, Henson

ROLB-Orakpo, Andre Carter, Rob Jackson, Cgris Wilson

LOLB-?? Alexander-upgrade needed--move a ROLB over LOLB??

NT-Bryant--depth or upgrade needed

RDE-upgrade needed

LDE-Carriker

CBs-Hall, Rogers, Buchanon, Barnes,Westbrook

FS-Landry, Barnes, Moore, Macho Harris

SS-Doughty, Horton, Moore, Barnes

You sure you aren't mixing him up with Kareem Moore? Because your description sounds more like him.

Also, "Doughty can't tackle" seems to fly in the face of you calling him a good special teams player, where good tackling is paramount.

No, I mean Doughty.

And tackling on special teams is a lot different than tackling a running back.

Doughty has a hard time reading offenses, and he goes flatfooted a LOT.

On return coverages you basically go balls to the wall in your lane down the field. If the ballcarrier gets in your lane, you hit him. He's good at that.

When he has to diagnose a play fake or sees a runner come thru the hole at him he makes a lousy tackle. He stops his forward momentum and goes to his knees or plants his feet, then lunges at the ballcarrier. He even does this when he blitzes. I call it the "hang on for dear life" style of tackling.

He's better than Moore, but that isn't saying much.

He cannot cover anyone, and that includes my grandmother.

Moore tries to tackle them high and gets stiff-armed and punched in the face multiple times while the ballcarrier drags him for ten more yards.

~Bang

Archived