Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Defense? Questions? WTF?

Thinking Skins

OK, whose gonna come now and argue with me that we dont have a good defense? Who's gonna come in here and tell me that we cant stop the run? Who's gonna tell me we dont have a good enough DL? I want to hear these arguments saying that we dont have a defense! We only allowed 160 yards today, fewest since GIbbs was here for freakin sake. If Trotter or Bowen would have gotten picks when they had chances we woulda looked even better. But who wants to come in here and tell me that we are too vulnerable to succeed? Who? WHO????

We have zero pass rush. ZERO. I'm happy about the win, and thought a lot of guys played well, but don't fool yourself into thinking the Jets are a good team this year. The Giants and Eagles are 10x better than the Jets right now, and we have a long ways to go if we want to contend for the division title.

Let's not get too happy about our defensive performance. While we did look good defensively, let's not forget that the Jets are a somewhat offensively challenged club. Their interior OL was/is suspect, they don't have a real QB, and their WR's leave something to be desired. It was an encouraging performance, but if we can do the same to the Gints in week 3 THEN I'll be ready to believe.

While I'm happy about the D overall, I'm saving my opinion for some battles against some offenses that aren't so inept, I was very happy about our performance overall. The most telling stat overall to me was yards per play allowed. It was 2.9, while the Jets were allowing 5.9. We were doubling their yards per play, so even though the score shows a close game, I think the stats show that they wouldn't have been in it if we could have played smarter (penalties) and were more careful with the ball.

Originally posted by Yusuf06

Let's not get too happy about our defensive performance. While we did look good defensively, let's not forget that the Jets are a somewhat offensively challenged club. Their interior OL was/is suspect, they don't have a real QB, and their WR's leave something to be desired. It was an encouraging performance, but if we can do the same to the Gints in week 3 THEN I'll be ready to believe.

you know, thats the argument I was expecting from the media, but not you Yusuf. Surprisingly, they're acting like fans tonight and our fans are acting like critics?

Honestly, I think the gameplan was to stop the run and let Vinny beat us. I remember another thread where somebody said that if we give vinny too much time he'll make the mistake himself. While it wasnt always his fault that the play didnt develop, I wasnt too worried about us getting beat by the pass.

Just like everybody says that SS needed to learn to run the ball because running sets up the pass, our defense was able to stop the run tonight which didnt allow them to set up the pass. We certainly have a few kinks to work out, but I'm damn well pleased with tonight. I'm not a coach so I'm not gonna get all worried about what might have happened if the Jets did this or that. Point is they didnt and we did what we were supposed to do.

If anything, at least we've shown that we're not gonna be abused by teams with horrible offenses. Thats definatley an improvement and lets hope we can start there.

Says alot about our linebackers and secondary that we won and held them under 200 yards with no d-line at all. A horrid d-line (could get better with coaching). They need to be more agressive. Alot of standing around and confusion is what I saw.........

Still, we have a superb secondary and linebacking corps. THEY WON THE GAME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Spurrier said back in the preseason that he was "cautiously optimistic" about the team this year.

I would say that sums up how I feel about our defense. Sure, under 160 sounds great. And I'm pumped up about it. In fact, I think if the defense can even so much as match their performance next week against Atlanta, then we'll start the season 2-0.

However, I do have concerns about our pass rush. What's going to happen when we play teams that are much better passing teams? Luckily, we have a few games to prepare for that. In fact, most of the schedule I think is primarily against rushing teams.

All that to say, I guess I'll remain cautiously optimistic...at least for a few more games.

Archived