Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Eagles vs. Giants II

pointyfootball

In an attempt to steer board conversation back to actual football, and away from OK magazine-style talk, I wanted to start a thread about the huge game between Philly and NY this weekend. As I see it, the loser of this game most likely loses the division, and quite possibly even a playoff spot. Winner has a very good chance, based on other teams' games of getting the #2 seed and a bye.

Some stats:

NYG Offense

Scoring: 25.3 pts/game (7th)

YPG: 385.4 (4th)

Rushing YPG: 148.3 (4th)

Passing YPG: 237 (12th)

3rd Down Effenciency: 35% (23rd)

PHI Offense

Scoring: 28.8 pts/game (2nd)

Total YPG: 402.8 (1st)

Rushing YPG: 146.1 (5th)

Passing YPG: 257 (6th)

3rd Down Effenciency: 42% (9th)

NYG Defense

Scoring: 19.2 pts/game (9th)

Total YPG: 281.1 (2nd)

Rushing YPG: 95.2 (5th)

Passing YPG: 186 (2nd)

3rd Down Effenciency: 31% (1st)

Sacks: 39 (1st)

Def TDs: 0

PHI Defense

Scoring: 23.7 pts/game (20th)

Total YPG: 327.8 (12th)

Rushing YPG: 103.5 (11th)

Passing YPG: 224 (17th)

3rd Down Effenciency: 37% (14th)

Sacks: 33 (10th)

Def TDs: 2

Give/Take Aways

NYG

Int given: 19

Fumbles lost: 14

Int taken: 14

Forced Fumbles: 17

Take-away ratio: -2 (16th)

PHI

Int given: 8

Fumbles lost: 7

Int taken: 22

Forced Fumbles: 8

Take-away ratio: +15 (2nd)

Special Teams

NYG

Field Goals: 16/19 (11th)

KOR(Own): 18.7yd avg (0 TD) (31st)

KOR(Opp): 20.2 (0 TD) (3rd)

PR: 5.8yd avg (0TD) (32nd)

Net Punting Avg: 39.3 (18th)

PHI

Field Goals: 29/34 (10th)

KOR (Own): 21.1yd avg (0 TD) (24th)

KOR (Opp): 21.9 (0 TD) (14th)

PR: 9.3yd avg (0 TD) (17th)

Net Punting Avg: 40.0 (17th)

Statistically, Philly is slightly better than NY in offense & special teams, but NY's defense is way better than Philly's. Two numbers that stand out to me, and IMO explain why Philly doesn't have a worse record, and why NYG don't have a better record: Offensive 3rd down effeciency and turnover ratio. Both of these #s are directly related to how the QB is playing, and it seems that Manning's struggles this season with INTs, coupled with their 3rd down performance has limited their ceiling. Vick has been a weapon on 3rd down's by using his feet when necessary, and has not turned the ball over as much.

Philly's rushing YPG are inflated due to Vick, and they will be low this Sunday as NY has shown they can limit Vick's effectiveness running.

My feeling regarding this game is that the Giants need to similar game plan against Vick/Eagles on defense (contain and limit Djax/Maclin) and simply not turn the ball over on offense. Manning was horrible with turnovers last game. Their run game should have more success with Bradley out, but I would expect Boss to have a very good game, as Philly prefers not to cover TEs, it would seem.

For the Eagles, McCoy is going to need to have a big game. Giants keeping Safeties well off the line of scrimmage will open up space for screen/swing passes. DL somehow needs to get to Manning (tough task), because he has proven he will make poor decisions. Red zone offense must be more effective than it was last game as well.

This is going to be a tough game, and I honestly have no idea how it will play out. Manningham has said he will play which would be a huge bonus for the Giants, if he is effective. Hagan/Clayton most likely won't take over a game, allowing the Eagles D to double Nicks or Boss. Supposedly Samuel will be back for the Eagles, who desparately need him in the defensive backfield.

Thoughts?

PF

In an attempt to steer board conversation back to actual football, and away from OK magazine-style talk, I wanted to start a thread about the huge game between Philly and NY this weekend. As I see it, the loser of this game most likely loses the division, and quite possibly even a playoff spot. Winner has a very good chance, based on other teams' games of getting the #2 seed and a bye.

Some stats:

NYG Offense

Scoring: 25.3 pts/game (7th)

YPG: 385.4 (4th)

Rushing YPG: 148.3 (4th)

Passing YPG: 237 (12th)

3rd Down Effenciency: 35% (23rd)

PHI Offense

Scoring: 28.8 pts/game (2nd)

Total YPG: 402.8 (1st)

Rushing YPG: 146.1 (5th)

Passing YPG: 257 (6th)

3rd Down Effenciency: 42% (9th)

NYG Defense

Scoring: 19.2 pts/game (9th)

Total YPG: 281.1 (2nd)

Rushing YPG: 95.2 (5th)

Passing YPG: 186 (2nd)

3rd Down Effenciency: 31% (1st)

Sacks: 39 (1st)

Def TDs: 0

PHI Defense

Scoring: 23.7 pts/game (20th)

Total YPG: 327.8 (12th)

Rushing YPG: 103.5 (11th)

Passing YPG: 224 (17th)

3rd Down Effenciency: 37% (14th)

Sacks: 33 (10th)

Def TDs: 2

Give/Take Aways

NYG

Int given: 19

Fumbles lost: 14

Int taken: 14

Forced Fumbles: 17

Take-away ratio: -2 (10th)

PHI

Int given: 8

Fumbles lost: 7

Int taken: 22

Forced Fumbles: 8

Take-away ratio: +15 (1st)

Special Teams

NYG

Field Goals: 16/19 (11th)

KOR(Own): 18.7yd avg (0 TD) (31st)

KOR(Opp): 20.2 (0 TD) (3rd)

PR: 5.8yd avg (0TD) (32nd)

Net Punting Avg: 39.3 (18th)

PHI

Field Goals: 29/34 (10th)

KOR (Own): 21.1yd avg (0 TD) (24th)

KOR (Opp): 21.9 (0 TD) (14th)

PR: 9.3yd avg (0 TD) (17th)

Net Punting Avg: 40.0 (17th)

Statistically, Philly is slightly better than NY in offense & special teams, but NY's defense is way better than Philly's. Two numbers that stand out to me, and IMO explain why Philly doesn't have a worse record, and why NYG don't have a better record: Offensive 3rd down effeciency and turnover ratio. Both of these #s are directly related to how the QB is playing, and it seems that Manning's struggles this season with INTs, coupled with their 3rd down performance has limited their ceiling. Vick has been a weapon on 3rd down's by using his feet when necessary, and has not turned the ball over as much.

Philly's rushing YPG are inflated due to Vick, and they will be low this Sunday as NY has shown they can limit Vick's effectiveness running.

My feeling regarding this game is that the Giants need to similar game plan against Vick/Eagles on defense (contain and limit Djax/Maclin) and simply not turn the ball over on offense. Manning was horrible with turnovers last game. Their run game should have more success with Bradley out, but I would expect Boss to have a very good game, as Philly prefers not to cover TEs, it would seem.

For the Eagles, McCoy is going to need to have a big game. Giants keeping Safeties well off the line of scrimmage will open up space for screen/swing passes. DL somehow needs to get to Manning (tough task), because he has proven he will make poor decisions. Red zone offense must be more effective than it was last game as well.

This is going to be a tough game, and I honestly have no idea how it will play out. Manningham has said he will play which would be a huge bonus for the Giants, if he is effective. Hagan/Clayton most likely won't take over a game, allowing the Eagles D to double Nicks or Boss. Supposedly Samuel will be back for the Eagles, who desparately need him in the defensive backfield.

Thoughts?

PF

Your good. I like this.

As much as I would love to continue making fun of these teams and poke jabs at em....no doubt they are both in the thick of it and the winner will be in a good spot to make it to a SB. The loser is not "out" but it will be very tough road ahead.....

In this game I see the Giants winning. You know what, this is the time that front four is gonna be on fire.....and they will play some coverages and still get heat on Vick....and their D.Coord will force Vick to his right..........keeping him at bay (somewhat). On offense, Eli has been pretty bad, but Gotdman that running game is on fire. They will do what Dallas could not do and that's run successful on 1st down and they will stay out of 3rd and long. This is going to be a good one....this is why I love football....for games like this.........Sure Dallas Sucks Butt, but i still love the game, and i look forward to this one.

I have no dog in the fight and cant tell ya who i dislike or like more between the two...But I got lots of love and respect for Vick for how he has turned it around on and off the field.

In summary, the Giants Def wins this game with the way they play Vick and the heat they put on him without too much man to man coverages......and Eli will manage this game and the Giants will run and stick to the run and....as you said.........without Bradley, there is a big hole in that middle.

Giants 27-17

Eli 18-27 215 2-1

Bradshaw 22-98 - 1

Jacobs 15-85-1

Vick 15-28 185- 1-2

D-jack 4-105 - 1

I reserve the right to edit this up until Kick off

Given the remaining schedules, I see this as a bigger game for the Giants than the Eagles. The Giants have to go the following week to Green Bay, which will be in full desparation mode sitting at a probably 8-6 after playing at the Pats this week, and who knows what Aaron Rodgers status is. The Eagles have two very winnable home games after this, and 11-5 should get them in the postseason. If the Giants win this one, lose to the Pack, but then beat the Skins, they'd also be at 11-5, but I think would get the division over the Eagles based on better conference record (9-3 vs 8-4).

The most important question of course is: if the Giants win, will Tom or Big Blue Joe start a thread asking us to bow to the greatness of the NY Football Giants?? :)

The most important question of course is: if the Giants win, will Tom or Big Blue Joe start a thread asking us to bow to the greatness of the NY Football Giants?? :)

No. They aren't obnoxious, and they don't talk **** like they play for the team or something.

I wish that there was a way that I could watch both games without knowing the score of the other game. Giants/Eagles is what Skins/Boys *should* be (meaningful). What I may do is watch Boys/Skins until end of 3rd qtr and hope that the Giants/Eagles is closer. I really want to watch football that means something. it's been 8 weeks for me as a Cowboys fan.

This game worries me. I think the Birds have beaten the Giants in 5 straight, and they must be wanting some serious payback. Bradley being out is going to be huge, and Asante will not 100%. D-Jax is probably not going to be 100% either. I think the Giants' schedule is easier. The Pack is done, and does anyone believe the Skins are going to beat them? Eagles still have another game with the Girls, and like it or not, they are a different team under Garrett. This game is the toughest left for both teams. If Eli doesn't turn the ball over, the Giants win.

One thing to remember: The Eagles rung up 27 points and left 14 easy points on the field the last time they played the Giants. The Eagles cannot drop two TD passes and expect to win again.

why did the giants vs eagles game get pushed up to 1 pm??? i thought that was spposed to be an nfc east sunday night football showdown!!! why would the nfl want to put on packers vs patriots for sunday night football instead of 2 9-4 NFC East teams?

the eagles cant play 3 straight snf games.........they play minny on snf next weekend

also i dont think u can play back to back snf games

This game worries me. I think the Birds have beaten the Giants in 5 straight, and they must be wanting some serious payback. Bradley being out is going to be huge, and Asante will not 100%. D-Jax is probably not going to be 100% either. I think the Giants' schedule is easier. The Pack is done, and does anyone believe the Skins are going to beat them? Eagles still have another game with the Girls, and like it or not, they are a different team under Garrett. This game is the toughest left for both teams. If Eli doesn't turn the ball over, the Giants win.

One thing to remember: The Eagles rung up 27 points and left 14 easy points on the field the last time they played the Giants. The Eagles cannot drop two TD passes and expect to win again.

As an Eagle fan, several things about this game give cause for concern:

* MLB

* David "Gano" Akers vs. Giants

* Giants DL vs. Eagles OL & Vick

* Giants run game - if they don't run the ball 30 times, they are idiots.

The dropped TD by Avant, as well as the one by Maclin can't happen if the opportunities present themselves in this game. Both teams are going to tighten up the mistakes IMO. Can't imagine the Giants turning the ball over 5 times.

why did the giants vs eagles game get pushed up to 1 pm??? i thought that was spposed to be an nfc east sunday night football showdown!!! why would the nfl want to put on packers vs patriots for sunday night football instead of 2 9-4 NFC East teams?

It's always been 1pm. I think Fox protected the game, so SNF couldn't pick it as one to slide to that night. They then went and picked the "Favre's 2nd-to-last-game" vs. the Eagles for the following week.

Not to nitpick, but didn't the eagles settle for field goals on both of those dropped TD drives (or was one of them the blocked FG drive, I forget). Either way, they didn't leave 14 points on the field, it was 8 or at most 11.

Also don't forget that 2 FG drives started deep in giants territory due to turnovers (Bradshaw fumble they started at the Giants 23, after the Manning Pick they started at the Giants 13.). And it was still a 1 touchdown game with 3 minutes left when Eli fumbled the ball on the Eagles 40. I'm not saying the eagles offense wasn't effective against the giants, I'm just saying that it wasn't nearly as explosive as it has been in other games. I think the teams are pretty closely matched.

I'd imagine the giants are going to try and and attack the middle of the eagles D with Bradley out. Probably have jacobs attack the middle and then playaction if the eagles bring in an extra safety. Of course that strategy is easier said than done, but I think that might be the way they go. Especially since Jacobs is healthier than he has ever been at this time of the year.

It should be a good game. I just wish I wasn't going to be surrounded by my eagle fan in-laws during the game :(

It's always been 1pm. I think Fox protected the game, so SNF couldn't pick it as one to slide to that night. They then went and picked the "Favre's 2nd-to-last-game" vs. the Eagles for the following week.

huh. i could have sworn last week that when i was looking at this sundays games i should record, i saw eagles vs giants on the sunday night slot, but i could have been looking at something else.

Not to nitpick, but didn't the eagles settle for field goals on both of those dropped TD drives (or was one of them the blocked FG drive, I forget). Either way, they didn't leave 14 points on the field, it was 8 or at most 11.

Two of them were long distance. Another one turned into a field goal. They really had two definate drops, and one other that would have been a tough catch (Maclin's if I remember). I think the Avant drop became a field goal.

It should be a good game. I just wish I wasn't going to be surrounded by my eagle fan in-laws during the game :(

Would you prefer being surrounded by Cowturd fans? :-)

What a freaking game. I had to drive all over creation yesterday and could only listen to updates until the I got AM 660 The Fan to come in on the radio right after the Eagles tied it up. Needless to say the announcers (Papa?) weren't too pleased.

As a coach, I've been on the side of Coughlin before (obviously not at that level), but it is the most frustrating thing in the world because you can feel the energy, optimism and momentum being sucked out of your team and no matter what you do or say, there's not much that can change it.

As to the game, IMO it looked to me like the Giants defenders were just tired in that fourth quarter (admittedly I only got to watch highlights). Vick still had his speed/quickness, but the Giants defenders looked like they were a half (or more) step slower. Add to that the colossal number of mental mistakes: crappy tackle attempt on Celek, poor execution on onside kick & punt return, breakdowns on rushing the passer, etc.

All that being said, the Eagles D is really struggling. Patterson looked like the second coming of Izel Jenkins out there. Absolutely horrible. Now being down Nate Allen, Bradley and Graham, it's going to be a real challenge for them to compete against teams like Atlanta, NO, Giants (most likely will see them again) and possibly the Packers. That's my only gripe. Actually, I should quit looking the gift horse in the mouth and enjoy a once-in-a-generation win. Even Herm Edwards was excited about it, and I think Dick Vermeil might have cried.

Good game, but I do feel for Giants fans, honest. I hope to hell that you all don't make the playoffs, because these games are too tough on one's ticker.

What a freaking game. I had to drive all over creation yesterday and could only listen to updates until the I got AM 660 The Fan to come in on the radio right after the Eagles tied it up. Needless to say the announcers (Papa?) weren't too pleased.

As a coach, I've been on the side of Coughlin before (obviously not at that level), but it is the most frustrating thing in the world because you can feel the energy, optimism and momentum being sucked out of your team and no matter what you do or say, there's not much that can change it.

As to the game, IMO it looked to me like the Giants defenders were just tired in that fourth quarter (admittedly I only got to watch highlights). Vick still had his speed/quickness, but the Giants defenders looked like they were a half (or more) step slower. Add to that the colossal number of mental mistakes: crappy tackle attempt on Celek, poor execution on onside kick & punt return, breakdowns on rushing the passer, etc.

All that being said, the Eagles D is really struggling. Patterson looked like the second coming of Izel Jenkins out there. Absolutely horrible. Now being down Nate Allen, Bradley and Graham, it's going to be a real challenge for them to compete against teams like Atlanta, NO, Giants (most likely will see them again) and possibly the Packers. That's my only gripe. Actually, I should quit looking the gift horse in the mouth and enjoy a once-in-a-generation win. Even Herm Edwards was excited about it, and I think Dick Vermeil might have cried.

Good game, but I do feel for Giants fans, honest. I hope to hell that you all don't make the playoffs, because these games are too tough on one's ticker.

Good post.......as a coach in high school myself, i have been on both sides of games like this....situations like that one.........oh the emotions.

This is why I love football!

Honestly, Coughlin's personality lends itself to this type of collapse. Some guys remain even keeled the whole time. He gets all crazytime ranting, and his team starts playing like they are afraid to make a mistake. Which of course they end up doing. He's no Tony Dungy.

Honestly, Coughlin's personality lends itself to this type of collapse. Some guys remain even keeled the whole time. He gets all crazytime ranting, and his team starts playing like they are afraid to make a mistake. Which of course they end up doing. He's no Tony Dungy.

Good point. They do say teams take on their coach's personality. It's a struggle I have as a coach, as I get very wound up, and it is extremely difficult to remain calm (or give the appearance of it) and not start flipping out at the stupid mistakes. It is one thing I like about AR as I think he is normally fairly calm on the sideline. But coaches have won the SB with the Cowher/Parcells style as well, so it's hard to say it is all that. I like Coughlin as a coach, but damn if it isn't funny to see his face when things aren't going his way.

Archived