Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

13 Tackles, 2.5 Sacks Through 12 games

bulldog

those are the statistics of one Albert Haynesworth, estranged DT of the Washington Redskins.

given his stated intention not to play regularly in a 3-4 and contentious relationship with the staff Shanahan should have been smart enough to cut this experiment short before the trade deadline and take the Titans offer of a #4 pick for him.

This issue could have been in the rear view mirror now instead of being front and center.

Anything the Redskins get back from Haynesworth is going to be minimal vs. the distractions this situation has caused.

Haynesworth may feel embarrassed or upset at being suspended, but in the end we have to go back to the most important fact in this case:

13 tackles and 2.5 sacks in 12 games.

That's the bottom line as the NFL is a bottom line business.

No one cares HOW teams or individuals get to the point they are able to produce, only that as an organization it happens :)

For the Redskins, keeping Haynesworth and going through this process has been of no tangible benefit to the record or long-term improvement of what is a thinly talented roster.

If individuals on the team want to 'take a piece of flesh' out of Haynesworth for his actions to date that may or may not be fair or warranted at this point, that can be argued separately.

But nothing ANYONE has done in this affair in my humble opinion has lead to any benefit in 2010 or beyond for the team and the fans.

That was lost time and attention on an individual who 3 years from now will only be a footnote in Redskins' history much as Jeff George or Deion Sanders ended up being.

Whether he fits in somewhere else with some other coach is not really the issue, the point is he didn't fit in HERE at THIS time in the development of THIS franchise.

And I would have expected Allen and Shanahan to realize that a lot earlier than December 2010.

i think it's a valid post, but i disagree with one point. you blame shannahan and allen for not realizing what 92 was all about until now, but my thinking is they were waiting till 4 games left so they could suspend him once and be done with it. then trade him and get at least a late round pick in the offseason. end of story. i think they knew early on what the plan was and once the wheels came off the just patiently waited till there were 4 games left which is coincidentally the max allowed suspension.

if they would've suspended him earlier, the drama would've been at least doubled in my opinion.

Shanahan and Bruce Allen gave Albert the option to seek a trade before OTAs. However Big Al came up empty, probably the result of the contract.

Albert may be the best lineman in the NFL (when he feels like it). Coach Shanahan and Bruce Allen had a catch 22 situation with Al; do we keep him and hope he returns to form or do we trade him a 4th rounder and deplete the painfully below average d-line? I guess they held out hope, hope that Big Al would buy into the 3-4, well he never did.

Well it turns out the latter would have been a better option.

The Redskins had a chance to trade Haynesworth at the deadline back to TN and didn't do so because Shanahan was asking for a #2 pick in exchange. The Titans were offering a #4.

What kind of compensation do you think the Redskins will get for him now? :)

TN is really the ONLY team that has enough experience with Haynesworth (his frienship with DL coach Washburn) to offer a middle round pick.

It is that familiarity that continued TN's interest in a trade through the spring and summer.

Nobody else is going to want him now until AFTER he is released by the Redskins.

Teams may be willing to risk a $2M incentive deal on Haynesworth for 2011 but they are not going to gamble a decent pick or picks, not after what has just unfolded here.

But nothing ANYONE has done in this affair in my humble opinion has lead to any benefit in 2010 or beyond for the team and the fans.
Hey Bulldog. I would disagree to a point with this. First, let's be realistic, with the talent coming from a 4-12 team last year, we were never playoff bound. Yes AH was a distraction, but it cemented the team behind the coach, who is letting the league, his players, and the fans know that it is his team and he is in charge. It is letting the league know...we do not want any Primma Donnas here and it will not be tolerated. Childish antics, after you tell someone you expect them to do their job, is not welcome here in Washington. Say what you will, I believe Shanahan was right in suspending him. I also think he was right in waiting. Why? Because the whole team now knows what type of player and person AH is. Anytime before now the press, the fans, and the players would have made AH out to be the victim, just as some are doing even now.

well, there are two trains of thought about HOW you communicate what type of player you want on your team.

one is to keep a guy like Haynesworth and make his life miserable for 10 months and have him respond by passively resisting the head coach and organization.

the other is to simply get rid of the guy and tell the locker room that guys like that won't be in town long. if the team makes a mistake they will work to rectify it quickly.

Lombardi cut a #1 draft choice who came to meetings late. Jimmy Johnson cut another former #1 pick for falling asleep in a meeting. More recently, Belichick dealt Randy Moss rather than put up with his pouting over not receiving a contract extension over the summer. Recall also that Jon Gruden ended up deactivating Keyshawn Johnson and telling him to go home.

Certainly, those moves had an effect on the respective teams in question.

I think Shanahan coming in and cutting Haynesworth at some point of the spring/summer would have carried the message home :)

The Redskins had a chance to trade Haynesworth at the deadline back to TN and didn't do so because Shanahan was asking for a #2 pick in exchange. The Titans were offering a #4.

What kind of compensation do you think the Redskins will get for him now? :)

TN is really the ONLY team that has enough experience with Haynesworth (his frienship with DL coach Washburn) to offer a middle round pick.

It is that familiarity that continued TN's interest in a trade through the spring and summer.

Nobody else is going to want him now until AFTER he is released by the Redskins.

Teams may be willing to risk a $2M incentive deal on Haynesworth for 2011 but they are not going to gamble a decent pick or picks, not after what has just unfolded here.

TN is going to be about the only landing spot he'll have. Though their locker room doesn't want him back as their DL thinks they're good enough without him.

i think it's a valid post, but i disagree with one point. you blame shannahan and allen for not realizing what 92 was all about until now, but my thinking is they were waiting till 4 games left so they could suspend him once and be done with it. then trade him and get at least a late round pick in the offseason. end of story. i think they knew early on what the plan was and once the wheels came off the just patiently waited till there were 4 games left which is coincidentally the max allowed suspension.

if they would've suspended him earlier, the drama would've been at least doubled in my opinion.

thats brilliant!! i hope you are right!! that would give me even more confidence in this FO.

Archived