Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Military Bowl at RFK Stadium 12/29 2:30 PM (MD vs. ECU)

MarkB452

Don't be a hater. Do you think any other coach could have done better than Ralph at MD?

alot of you are arguing that ralph was great because they sucked hard before him..

theres no reason for UMD to be bad, theres plenty of great recruits that go to the SEC, we need someone to brig in better recruits.

the whole point of firing him was to try and become a perennial team ie VT, not medicroty

Fridge didn't expand the Stadium to cause even more empty seats.

Maryland used to be like playing Duke in Football. It was a W on most schedules. He changed a lot of that.

Its clear the Athletic Dept has clashed with their programs over the years. Whether it be Debbie Yow or this new Anderson guy. I believe Fridge when he says the school isn't willing to do some things other schools do to get a great program.

If Anderson doesn't hit a homerun with a new coach, he won't last long at Maryland.

The point is, Maryland SUCKED before Ralph. Horribly.
Maryland used to be like playing Duke in Football. It was a W on most schedules. He changed a lot of that.

I'm not sure where some of you get the idea that UMD football has always 'sucked'.

In the mid-70's (Claiborne), the Terps made 5 bowl appearances (when making Bowls meant something), won 3 ACC football championships, and finished with national rankings of 13, 13, 24, 20.

In the early to mid '80s (Ross), the Terps won several ACC championships, finished in the top 20 in 82, 84, 85.

Yes, in the late 80s until Fridge, they sucked, but to say they've always sucked is not really true.

As far as the Fridge goes, I have very mixed feelings. I went to UMD during the late 80's and remember them sucking really badly. It was great to have Fridge come in and make them good again. It is funny to hear him say almost the exact same thing as Bobby Ross said 30 years ago regarding the school and how it views/treats the football teams.

Recently, though, I've been exposed to another side of Fridge that really bothers me. I have a son who is a senior in High School that has a history of very good local football teams. I've talked to several of his friends parents who have kids who play on that team (and to other friends who have kids who play on other local HS football teams). I hear the same story from them:

They get recruited by several Div-1 teams (ex: UVa, Rutgers, UNC, VaTech, BC, WVU) as well as by UMD. Almost all of them started with the Terps at or near the top, but ended up going other places. The big reason - the Head coaches from each of these schools came to their houses during the recruitment process to talk to them, except for one coach - Ralph Friedgen. Now, when you are a HS kid and have a head coach come and ask you personally to play for them, and UMD sends the offensive/defensive coordinator, well that makes a difference.

I can't say this happens to ALL local players, but I've heard the same type of story at least 5 different times, enough that I believe it. If he can't come out to actively get local talent to come to UMD, maybe he does have to go.

I hear the same story from them:

They get recruited by several Div-1 teams (ex: UVa, Rutgers, UNC, VaTech, BC, WVU) as well as by UMD. Almost all of them started with the Terps at or near the top, but ended up going other places. The big reason - the Head coaches from each of these schools came to their houses during the recruitment process to talk to them, except for one coach - Ralph Friedgen. Now, when you are a HS kid and have a head coach come and ask you personally to play for them, and UMD sends the offensive/defensive coordinator, well that makes a difference.

I can't say this happens to ALL local players, but I've heard the same type of story at least 5 different times, enough that I believe it. If he can't come out to actively get local talent to come to UMD, maybe he does have to go.

This goes for basketball as well, plenty of my friends were being recruited by UMD, but they didnt put in the effort like other universities did - Gary Williams didnt get involved personally, they brought them to the Comcast Center for a game and then after the game, the assistant coaches talked to them. It's sad, our programs would be much better with the talent we could have had.

Archived