Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Devin Thomas may be cut soon according to 106.7-Cut by Panthers - Claimed by Giants (M.E.T.)

jbooma

Thomas: epic fail

Davis: backup TE

Kelly: injury concerns out of college, 100% true

Rinehart: epic fail

Tryon: traded to colts, backup scrub

Brooks: epic fail

Moore: competent safety

Brennan: injured and failed project

Jackson: is he a practice squad fodder guy?

Horton: decent special teams/safety depth

That is just on a whole different level of garbage. It almost makes you think that Vinny knew what he was doing by trading draft picks away - he clearly couldn't handle the stress.

Devin Thomas should stick to modeling and music videos.

It's obvious he doesn't have what it takes from the shoulders up to be an effective NFL player.

No team was more desperate to find a breakout receiver than Washington and if Thomas couldn't beat out Roydell Williams and Joey Galloway, then he needs to check himself.

I would still take him back over Galloway.

Exactly. I love how people take shots at him. Guess what, we suck. We might not even be able to beat the panthers. Thank D'Angelo Hall for 2 wins, LaRon Landry for one of them. I forgot how we won our fourth game but winning more games seems impossible at this point.

Fail!

A bit of reality here: Thomas wasn't signed by the Panthers because they thought he was better than what they had. He was signed to give them depth for all the injuries that they had. They have a couple of rookies which they seem to like and in this time, Steve Smith has come back to play. It doesn't help that it seems that Thomas has been nursing an injury. Given that he's the new guy and still needs to learn their offense, he'd only get onto the field only if they absolutely needed him. It happens that they haven't.

To give an example on our own team, let's take Chad Simpson. He's a guy we picked up week three. He hasn't been active since the Indy game. Does that make him a bad player? Nope. He is the new kid on the block who has to struggle to prove to the coaching staff that he deserves to get on the field. That is difficult to do when you have a whole mess of people who have been here the whole offseason. Unless you are a guy like Randy Moss, you aren't going to see the field short of injuries. Even looking at Randy Moss, we see the kind of limited effect a guy coming on a team midseason has. This isn't baseball, where player performance are somewhat independent of your teammates. A pitcher still pitches the same if he belongs to the Orioles or the Yankees. A WR, tho, needs to learn the calls, the routes, the QB, amonst other things.

I had said before that really the only impact I saw Thomas having right now on another team is as a kick returner, because that's something that doesn't require a lot of knowledge. Everything else takes time, and the only opportunities that he was going to get is if people continued to be hurt and they needed to press him into service. It is why I doubt we will see James Davis on the active roster and even if we do, he probably wouldn't play all that much barring injuries. Thomas is in a similar position.

Tryon: traded to colts, backup scrub

He actually started a game a couple of weeks ago and started in their opener. I've also seen him return kicks.

So he gets cut from a bad team and goes to a worse one and is expected to work miracles??? And when he doesnt, it validates all you couch GMs, when all you same guys were jumping up and down on draft day that we got a 1st round grade a little later. The point is this new staff didnt give him a shot....and dont give me the whole practice arguement, cause the vast majority dont know that if he was in Shannys doghouse, how many reps he got then.

So he gets cut from a bad team and goes to a worse one and is expected to work miracles??? And when he doesnt, it validates all you couch GMs, when all you same guys were jumping up and down on draft day that we got a 1st round grade a little later. The point is this new staff didnt give him a shot....and dont give me the whole practice arguement, cause the vast majority dont know that if he was in Shannys doghouse, how many reps he got then.

i find it funny that you call people like me a "couch GM" when you are in fact, a "couch GM"...

if he was doing great in Carolina, you would be moaning up a storm about how we let him go, and saying it validates your opinions.

i find it funny that you call people like me a "couch GM" when you are in fact, a "couch GM"...

if he was doing great in Carolina, you would be moaning up a storm about how we let him go, and saying it validates your opinions.

No, I dont need any Carolina production to validate my opinion. Just on athletic ability, hes better then all of our WRs. Our HOF qb should elevate his play and make him look good (sarcasm)

No, I dont need any Carolina production to validate my opinion. Just on athletic ability, hes better then all of our WRs. Our HOF qb should elevate his play and make him look good (sarcasm)

Exactly. He is still better than all of receivers not named Santana Moss. Its not that isn't saying much but its the truth. Carolina wouldn't sign Rodell or Joey. Haha you people need to stop drinking the Shana-Kool-aid. He better get it right this offseason. All that stuff he did in Denver is the past.

Lets go Coach, get your head out of your ass (CASEY RABACH AIN'T NO DAMN TEAM CAPT)

Fail!

How can you say the dude sucks??? Really???? He had a Zorn offense...... Put him on the frickin field so we can judge....and I mean FULL time. He cant do worse then Moss who is good for a tip drill INT EVERY game...Maybe not worth a 2nd round pick.....but SUCKS?????

Really, who cant run a slant/post/go/hook/in/out????? If its a playbook thing, Moss could tell him where to line up and what route to run, keep his job simple, limit or take out motion plays for him. By not getting a talented guy up to speed also says volumes on this coaching staff.

Damn. You know who else looks good? Jason Campbell. We should try and get that guy back. Did you watch those clips!?

Devin Thomas had a Junior year in college worth of highlights that put him into the 2nd round as a wide receiver. There is talent there for sure...but not the kind of talent that can overcome the mental, precise skills that are needed in the NFL

There's no need for sarcasm, you can disagree all day long if you want to. And I was pretty clear as to explaining my frustration. but since it seems my point wasn't articulated as well as it could have been, I'll try and explain where I'm coming from, again.

Not once did I say Shanny made a mistake releasing him. Not once did I say "we should sign him back" ... I merely explained that to my eyes the guy has talent (and we have little to none with our current WR core), and that he did produce when given a chance in Zorn's offense.

That's all ... I'm mostly projecting my disappointment with DT himself, not Shanny for cutting him ... and not at anyone else's view that described the guy as garbage.

I'm dissapointed that we wasted one of the few draft picks we had to fill a glaring need on this team (and for the past 10 years at that). That's all, nothing more nothing less. Take that as my perspective only.

so everyone should ignore any and all intangibles involved with playing professional football, and he should just be here cause he has some athletic ability?

Exactly. He is still better than all of receivers not named Santana Moss. Its not that isn't saying much but its the truth. Carolina wouldn't sign Rodell or Joey. Haha you people need to stop drinking the Shana-Kool-aid. He better get it right this offseason. All that stuff he did in Denver is the past.

Fail!

He is not better than Anthony Armstrong. Sorry.

Really, who cant run a slant/post/go/hook/in/out????? If its a playbook thing, Moss could tell him where to line up and what route to run, keep his job simple, limit or take out motion plays for him. By not getting a talented guy up to speed also says volumes on this coaching staff.

I see your point. You have to be dumb as a rock not to be able to run those routes. It's most likely the playbook. If Moss spends his time telling him where to line up, look out for delay of game penalties. Moss doesn't need to be doing Devin's job for him either.

Devin Thomas is weak, period. I can't believe people are still rallying for this guy. When he was cut I scratched my head, but still had faith in our coaching staff. Carolina just validated that at this point in his career, he is not a viable option at WR position in the NFL.

really? REALLY?

Moss putting Devin in the proper spots and telling him routes to run???

do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

Archived