Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Edwin Williams: what happended to the one that got away?

darrelgreenie

Backup OG/C Edwin Williams was surprisingly released by the Skins on Aug.31 after what appeared to be good set of OTA's and a good training camp.

Local sports writers speculated that the Skin's intent was to sign him to the practice squad after he cleared waivers.

But, the Bears starved for OL talent signed him off of waivers on Sept.1.

Edwin Williams got his 1st start at RG for the Chicago Bears and was part of their struggling OL's improvement.

CHARLOTTE, N.C. -- The Chicago Bears once again will try a different combination on the offensive line, as J'Marcus Webb starts at right tackle and Edwin Williams at right guard versus the Carolina Panthers.

http://espn.go.com/blog/chicago/bears/post/_/id/4666789/bears-gameday-moves-webb-williams-start-on-ol

“It’s hard to say exactly why we got it going,” said coach Lovie Smith. “We were committed to it and the guys did a great job of blocking up front.”

The line, which was heavily criticized after the Bears allowed a franchise-record 10 sacks in last weekend’s loss to the New York Giants, opened holes from the outset of Sunday’s game.

Forte scored the Bears’ first two rushing touchdowns of the season on back-to-back offensive plays, dashing 18 and a career-long 68 yards to give his team a 14-3 first-quarter lead.

“The line did an exceptional job out there,” Forte said. “I’m just proud of them for coming out and working so hard. When they block that hard, I’ve got to run hard.”

The line featured two first-time starters in right guard Edwin Williams and right tackle J’Marcus Webb, a rookie seventh-round draft pick from West Texas A&M. They joined left tackle Frank Omiyale, left guard Roberto Garza and center Olin Kreutz.

“Matt Forte was outstanding,” Smith said. “Our entire running game was good. Edwin Williams and J’Marcus Webb getting their first starts, I thought they did a good job.

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=7173

“I was very pleased that we were able to run the ball against a good defense. We saw the Panthers play the week before against New Orleans and they did a pretty good job, and really the strength of their team has been their defense. So that bodes well for us. I was very impressed not only watching the game, but it looked even better on tape because we were very physical. I watched the guys come off the ball. Frank Omiyale, Roberto Garza, Olin Kreutz, Edwin Williams and J’Marcus Webb all had their moments where they showed some really good things in the running game. Even though we didn’t throw the ball well, running the ball effectively helps your pass protection. By and large, it was an excellent day for our run game, something I’m hoping we continue to build on."

http://www.chicagobears.com/news/NewsStory.asp?story_id=7183

I really liked Edwin Williams and was very, very surprised when we let him go. I actually thought he was going to be a guy who would challenge for one of the starting guard positions as the season went along and could eventually take over duties at center when Casey Rabach steps down.

That was one of the mysteries of training camp. I guess the Shanahans are looking for prototypical ZBS linemen. But maybe they are too myopic in looking for that prototype, and as a result, they release good talent (Williams) or bench good talent (Dockery).

I still don't quite understand how Lichtensteiger made the team over him. Fact is, Lichtensteiger looks like ass out there and Williams, by all preseason reports, looked like the best out of all the backups.

Lichtensteiger is a former Mike Shanahan guy - he may have been brought on to help teach the ZBS. This may be a down-side to the Shanahan era because he may play favorites or have guys that he's fiercely loyal towards - ala Joe Gibbs.

I remember my friend who is a casual skins fan, asked me during preseason about differernt guys when we were watching the games, if they were going to make the team. For Edwin Williams i said yes he will definitely make the team, as we need a lot of depth on the OL

Was shocked when we cut him, our OL just isnt that great that we need to get rid of serviceable back-ups

I still don't quite understand how Lichtensteiger made the team over him. Fact is, Lichtensteiger looks like ass out there and Williams, by all preseason reports, looked like the best out of all the backups.

:secret: Shanahan drafted Lichtensteiger in Denver.....then brought him here.....

Archived