Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Offical Watson Cut !!!!!!!!!!!!!

dayumnuttinleft

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Lavar better calm down and make like a cornerback and have a short memory. His mind state needs to be positive or we are in trouble on thursday. The only reason he was mad is because they are both penn state guys. Good move WAtson had 0 upside and was not proven. Hey its not like we cut Stephen Davis :doh:

You speak with such certainty. How do you decide who has upside and who does not or why Lavar feels the way he does? Who is the most proven back on the Redskins roster?

Cutting players is never an easy task and I can see why LaVar would be pissed.

Letting go of Watson really shouldnt have been the biggest surprise in the world to most of us. Sure it pissed me off when I first read it, and Id would have liked to have received something for him and not just flat out cut the man. But as hard as he has worked as a skin, he doesnt deserve to be that far back on the depth chart.

Good luck Kenny. :cheers:

I like Watson a lot too. But I think he might be something of a 'tweener. Not too fast, not too shifty, not too much power or great hands, but a pretty fair amount of each and a lot of heart. Its painful to see him go if true, but then consider this means he was shopped and there were no takers anywhere, not even for a seventh-round draft pick. And this is not one of those situations where everybody refused the trade because they knew the cut was coming. I'd think most people still expected it to be Sultan who got the axe.

As far as why, in addition to Sultan's performance on offense he's looked good on ST. Turned in a sparking tackle for a loss on a PR against Jax. And on the TD return the Pats did to us, Sultan was then only guy who had even a prayer of catching him.

Remember that SOS originally wanted to keep only 3 RBs anyway. It looks like he kept a fourth by choosing a guy who also could work both returns and return coverage.

I would assume the team practiced today.......since they have a game on Thursday. THE OPENING GAME. I imagine all of the team was there......and rapidly knew of the cuts.

I hate to see Watson and Robert Gillespie go. Maybe Gillespie will make it back to the practice squad.

Blondie

Originally posted by nfchamp1

You speak with such certainty. How do you decide who has upside and who does not or why Lavar feels the way he does? Who is the most proven back on the Redskins roster?

Im not sure Lavar even said anything on the matter this whole thread is yet to be confirmed. As far as upside its clear that Sultan has it if has proved (and he has) his attitude has changed if he stays healthy and get its together there is the possibility he could be great. I dont decide anything but Watson is a dime a dozen. Can you name one thing he does clearly better than Betts?

We need less underachievers and more overacheicvers. Cutting Watson was just losing another over achiever and gaining what so far has been an underachiever, Ladell Betts. i just say that becuase of Bett's injuries since he's been here.

This isnt right. But the team needs to focus. Stuff happens thats not always right, hard decisions have to be made sometimes.

This was a bad decision, he doesnt deserve this. I hope a team picks him up and he goes crazy and makes the pro bowl or something.

dayumnuttinleft

I'm not buying this story about fight between Spurrier and Jackson, or LaVar. Sorry dude but I don't know you and I don't know your source. My rule is that I do not believe anything I read on the internet unless I can confirm it by several known reliable sources.

I have a hard time believing that the subject of cutting Watson did not come up in a previous meeting where such an argument would be more likely to occur. Furthermore, I would not expect Jackson, if he had a problem with the move, to pick a fight with his boss in the middle of a team meeting. The whole thing sounds fishy to me.

:rolleyes:

I'm with you Mad Mike,

my real worry right now is if this story is true about the fight and if Lavar is mad. Cause this would put the team in a lot of trouble if they are all pissed at the coaches. That means we arent focusing on the damn game.

I dont believe it though, there has yet to be named a source as to how all this info came out about the fight.

Everyone also forgets that Watson is a free agent after this year. Betts is still signed as well as candidate. They had to cut watson then next year they would only have candiate and sultan left if they got rid of Betts. Betts and Wason are the same.

Mad & Skins, It really doesn't matter if you believe me or not,, Frankly I don't care, I reported something to you guys giving you first hand knowledge. It's your right to believe what you see, read or hear. I know what was reported to me, and the sources that reported to me will be playing Thursday night in DC vs the Jets. I could sit here and Tell you that LA is running up in D.Dawes, I could tell you where K.Mitch lives and his cell number, I could tell you that Watson and Betts live near the Dulles town mall, but then you wouldn't believe that either. So You take it for what it's worth. I know where I satnd and I know I speak the truth...

Originally posted by dayumnuttinleft

Mad & Skins, It really doesn't matter if you believe me or not,, Frankly I don't care, I reported something to you guys giving you first hand knowledge. It's your right to believe what you see, read or hear. I know what was reported to me, and the sources that reported to me will be playing Thursday night in DC vs the Jets. I could sit here and Tell you that LA is running up in D.Dawes, I could tell you where K.Mitch lives and his cell number, I could tell you that Watson and Betts live near the Dulles town mall, but then you wouldn't believe that either. So You take it for what it's worth. I know where I satnd and I know I speak the truth...

Thanks for the scoop. I have absolutely no reason to NOT believe you after reading Spurrier's comments in Washington Post.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Lavar better calm down and make like a cornerback and have a short memory. His mind state needs to be positive or we are in trouble on thursday. The only reason he was mad is because they are both penn state guys. Good move WAtson had 0 upside and was not proven. Hey its not like we cut Stephen Davis :doh:

Ohhh no we already did that! ouch too....................

Originally posted by dayumnuttinleft

FWIW you reported that Watson had been cut before any media outlet had saidi anything about it. You also reported that there was an argument between SS and his staff over who should be cut-- the Washington Post article (though sanitzed) lends credence to your assertions.

You have proven to me that you do indeed have 'inside sources' that provide credible information.

Although I wiish it wasn't the case, I believe that LaVar and other players, coaches, and trainers are VERY upset with today's cuts. This does not bode well for this week or the rest of the season.

Spurrier needs to step up and take control of the team NOW or else we could be in for some very ugly times.

Or perhaps we could realize that the Redskins are no different than practically any other professional sports franchise in the early 21st century. People disagree behind closed doors. Sometimes "sources" leak stuff. And the press and public eat it up and run with it and turn it into palace intrigue and speculate on the horrors of it all.

It's 2003, guys. Our team argues about stuff like everyone else's. What comes next is that we'll see starting Thursday if our team is the kind that goes out and wins anyway, and everyone forgets about the family discord, or is one that goes out and loses, and then everyone can point to the family discord and say damn I knew it all along.

We could sit here and debate for weeks on the Betts vs Watson

vs Sultan issue. It's a done deal and we have to live with it. The cuts to get down to 53 are never easy and you have to make tough choices. It hard to understand until you're in a position to

have to make those calls. I can tell you from personal experience that it's very hard to fire or cut someone loose from your organization. Life can be cruel, but you move on.

I believe Dayum to an extent. I'm not sure if it was Hue Jackson or someone else he disagreed with, but I can see people disagreeing with keeping only 2 QBs and keeping Todd Franz on the roster rather than Del Cowsette or Kenny Watson.

These cuts are BIZARRE(except for the obvious practice squad ones)

Personally, I don't think arguing behind closed doors is such a bad thing. If I'm leading an organization, I want my people to be passionate about what they're doing and what they believe. And I want to create an environment where they feel they have the freedom to voice those opinions. That way everyone feels like they were able to have their fair amount of input into the situation.

HOWEVER, once a decision has been made, it's then important that everyone gets back on the same page and supports that decision. Spurrier's quote in the Post seemed to suggests that this is what should happen. If he's right, then I have no problem with the way things happened.

The decision's been made. Sure, I have my own reservations about whether or not they were the right decisions. I would have liked to have kept Watson, DW, Smith, Cowsette, and Jackson. But the FO saw it differently. Now I'm going to do just like I hope all of our coaches and players do - get on the bus with the players we have!

Archived