Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

It's Offical Watson Cut !!!!!!!!!!!!!

dayumnuttinleft

And dayumnuttinleft,

Sorry for questioning your sources earlier. I wish you would PM me or something and let me know how you find out all this stuff. I'm glad you're here though. As a fan, I'm always wondering what goes on behind closed doors - you know, the stuff we don't get to read about in the papers. Hopefully you'll stick around and fill us in on that type stuff.

:cheers:

Say what you want about Watson, but i'm very happy to have Sultan on this team. Watson did nothing in my eyes to set himself apart from any other RB on this team. With Sultan playing well on special teams and having a burst that Watson clearly lacked, I believe it was a good move.

I know I'm in the minority on this board, but I like it :)

Heres to you Sultan, Well done. :cheers:

These cuts really are bizarre when you think about it. :doh: I mean I was worried about Woeful being elevated to #2 QB after Thursday's performance, but instead he is CUT! And only carrying two quarterbacks???? Do I smell a Mark Brunell trade brewing on the horizon here...... say just before the October 15th trade deadline? :rolleyes: BOOKMARK this prediction guys. :laugh:

Then you say Brandon Winey, Todd Franz and Orantes Grant made the team, in lieu of Watson? None of these three guys has shown me anything personally to warrant that. Franz and Grant are journeyman and all three have drifted around the league for a few years now.

So the way it looks now is we got TWO quarterbacks, and only TWO tight ends, but FIVE safeties! Bizarre aint the word for it. :laugh:

I do like the fact that Clifton Smith, Wood**** and Ware will probably be on the practice squad. Assuming they make it there without being claimed. :laugh: And stashing Chris Clemons on IR for another year of seasoning was also a good move. :)

When all is said and done, however, this is not going to be the final 53 man roster. There will be more jostling in the first couple of weeks of roster moves, before it is set in stone..... there always is. :)

I really don't know why eveyone is so concerned about disagreements in the organization over personel, fact is if you have a solid team, so player cuts are going to painful and unfortunate, which I this is the case here. And just remember that Gibbs and Bethard didn't always agree on peronsel either, and when push came to shove, Jack made the final call......which appears to be the case here.

speedwagon,

No, Stackhouse's fight had nothing to do with him getting cut. The Giants love his build as a FB but they feel he is too inconsistent with his play. Finn is better at special teams coverage which is probably where he won the job. Finn did look awful in the final preseason game especially blocking on special teams. But Stackhouse has mental lapses which is why he got cut.

As far as the fight, he went into Fassel's office and apologized. That was put to rest.

I liked Watson a lot- but this clearly indicates that they weren't able to make a trade. I find that surprising, but it was reported that they were trying, and obviously if they were thinking of cutting Watson than I presume they would have taken even a 7th round pick for him.

It's too bad that either Sultan or Watson had to be let go, but it does make sense to keep more safeties since we have bigger question marks there than at RB. Watson is a better player I'm sure than the 5th safety, but if we can't even get a late-round draft pick for him in a trade, it's not worth hanging on to him when we've got a lot of options at RB.

And as for the QB situation- I think it makes sense. It's very rare that teams have to go to the 3rd QB in a game. And if Ramsey does get injured, they can always bring DW or Gilbran back- neither of these guys is going to get picked up anywhere else.

Originally posted by RDSKNfaithfull

Can you name one thing he does clearly better than Betts?

Play harder, less likely to get injured, and we didn't waste a second round draft pick to get him. Watson is only slightly smaller than Betts, check their measureables and you will see the difference is barely noticeable. Watson runs harder than Betts, and let's flip this around. Can you name one thing Betts does clearly better than Watson? I can only think of nursing injuries, because he's sure got that one mastered.

They probably tried to trade Betts, but after teams realized he wasn't worth where his trade value should be, decided not to take the Skins up on their offer.

Well, at least we can put all the Watson/Betts crap to rest. This is the business side of the game that we sometimes don’t like to see – but someone has to make the unpopular decision.

So I guess the question is… where does everyone think Watson will wind up?

dayumnuttinleft:

Sounds to me like you know what you're talking about. My question is, do you think, or do you hear, things that point to a rift between the players and the coaching staff? Do the players respect the staff? From what I read, and the sloppyness I see on the field, it sounds like they don't.

Thanks Tom, I was just wondering about Stackhouse because the timing was a little coincidental.

As for those saying Watson was more deserving of a spot than Betts since we didn't "waste" a second round pick on him...that is very ignorant. You "waste" picks when you draft someone in 2002 and cut them in 2003 without giving them a shot. UFAs are fill-ins until your more talented players can play.

The team always cuts players that we, the fans, feel should have been kept on the team.

:doh:

Personally, I thought Watson was a good solid back who could grind out the yards when a time-consuming drive was needed. I believe he did it a few times last year when Davis was out.

I am sorry to see him cut.

My fear here is that he will sign with another team and go on to greatness (or continued greatness as in the case of Brian Mitchell), as so many of the other Fan Faves have done.

Sometimes it seems as though we are shooting oursevles in the foot (or pulling a Gus) :gus: when it comes to players who have shown they have talent and heart.

I would like to assemble an entire team of Redskins castoffs and see what they can do.

Anyway, the reality of NFL football is - sometimes good players get cut, and sometimes cut players get good.

:soapbox:

Watson has less than 4 years in the NFL, which means he is subject to waiver rules. I don't understand why his agent would be in contact with anyone since the team that wants him will pluck him off the waiver wire.

He isn't an unrestricted free agent like vet releases are.

Archived