Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Poor Tackling on D (MET and please learn from it)

ukvillaskin

What's happening with the tackling? The D are putting some big hits on, but they're also missing a lot. McCoy made a lot of our defensive players look silly yesterday and the D also tackled poorly in the St Louis and Houston games.

Are we trying for the big hit a little bit too often? They don't seem to be concentrating on bread and butter tackling.

Thoughts?

McCoy is a pretty elusive guy but I'll agree it is becoming a concern. Our front seven has gotten decent penetration at times but can't manage to wrap up in the backfield. Kareem Moore has been a liability in space but he's been making plays on the ball so I'm willing to compromise.

McCoy may be shifty, but our tackling has been really bad this season. Rocky missed some really crucial tackles yesterday that would have held plays to 1-2 yard gains.

Outside of DHall and Landry when he takes the right angle, I don't have very much confidence in our teams ability to wrap up.

So my take is this: I honestly think they are taking the "strip game" a tad too far sometimes... I know they practice get after the ball, strip strip strip, but there were times yesterday that some of McCoy's runs were extended due to us going for the ball, instead of wrapping up and making the tackle first then trying to strip the ball.

So my take is this: I honestly think they are taking the "strip game" a tad too far sometimes... I know they practice get after the ball, strip strip strip, but there were times yesterday that some of McCoy's runs were extended due to us going for the ball, instead of wrapping up and making the tackle first then trying to strip the ball.

That's what I thought, but as well as trying to strip too much, they seem to be too busy lining up big hits, rather than wrapping up. If they start creating 3 or 4 fumbles a game, I won't be questioning this, but

if they don't manage to turn the ball over, I worry that the missed tackles will start to add up.

That's what I thought, but as well as trying to strip too much, they seem to be too busy lining up big hits, rather than wrapping up. If they start creating 3 or 4 fumbles a game, I won't be questioning this, but

if they don't manage to turn the ball over, I worry that the missed tackles will start to add up.

Three or four fumbles a game????

McCoy is a very good RB. Very good RBs make lot of tacklers look silly.

Its not just this game, its every game.. and it wasn't just McCoy... Vick should have been tackled about 6 times (watch the replay, even Fletcher whiffed) before he got injured on the damn GOAL LINE!

Three or four fumbles a game????

Why not? The way they're playing, they're trying to rip the ball out or force a fumble with big hits on what seems like A LOT of plays. If they're going to give up so many yards by missing, when attempting to force a fumble, surely they should be looking to force more fumbles than would normally be expected.

Using Vick isn't the best example. Vick makes everyone whiff.

1. Vick is a QB, although he may scramble and scramble fast, he is still a QB

2. He wasn't running to the outside away from defenders and our D was in position to stop him 20 yards before

3. Our D looks like they were diving after a quarter that fell out of Vicks pants

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brX3Rw3TrLA

the video doesn't lie, there were at least 5 defenders that at least had a hand on Vick and could not get him when he was not even full speed ahead

Archived